Full-Moon Party on Koh Phangan ends with disgusting scenes

webfact

Have a look at the rubbish left on all the beaches in Thailand by the Thai's.

Typical of Thai's to always blame the other people.bah.gif

This was a report in what passes for a newspaper in UK. It was not written by Thais.

Total misunderstanding of the situation by the Daily Mirror. In UK you are penalised if you don't put your rubbish in the right coloured bag. Here people are paid to recycle it. On Pang Ngan according to the above posts, a fee is paid to contribute to the clean up costs (after the collectors percentage has been creamed off, I imagine!).

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a look at the rubbish left on all the beaches in Thailand by the Thai's.

Typical of Thai's to always blame the other people.

Where did the "Thai's" do that? Not in this thread, not in the OP, not in the Facebook posts/photos.

Have another read of the original post, and The Mirror. See if you can make heads or tails of those. See if any "Thai's" blamed any people at all.

Typical of TVF denizens to always blame the "Thai's".

'Wealthy westerners'.

Most backpackers I have met live on a shoestring budget.

I agree, however, the view here is that if you can afford the roundtrip airfare, and time spent, you are indeed much wealthier than the majority of Thais.

I do no know if that is a valid conclusion but perseption is reality,

I agree with you also. However, in general, they do not have the reputation of being the cleanest of people.

When you have to smell your previously worn socks in the morning, to select which ones to wear, are you really going to be that bothered about discarding some trash in a public place ?

'Wealthy westerners'.

Most backpackers I have met live on a shoestring budget.

Do you have them all fill in a short questionnaire on their financial status? Or is this simply an assumption you make?

I feel the latter is more likely somehow.

A very good assumption.

as others mention, if only a litter bin was in view.

In europe for example the big rock festivals have the organisers responsible for putting the site back to how it was found.

Just imagine any business owner in thaialnde taking responsibility for their own mess.

yeah, i know about as humourous ad having a democratically elected government

Laughable article.

Look at the garbage on "my" beach in a small village on the mainland. No Full Moon Parties, no tourists, but the beach looks very similar.

Garbage without end, tons of it plus tar/oil from some ships. Thai ships probably.

Take a look at our Wednsday market, our Walkinhg street, our Sunday market. Even after cleaning there is plenty of garbage left just like left and right of the sois, street and roads all over Thailand.

I collected hundreds of kilos of garbage from the beach and from the road just to be bemused by Thai onlookers.

Wake up Sam Adams.

Absolutely true

Pretty much the whole of Thailand is a large garbage can all over the place, including the National parks. I've been to those smaller fishers villages and they are about the worse I've seen so far.

Obnoxious and a real big pity to see this beautiful country like this.

....it all gets picked up. Most of it....the tourists who do this are so drunk and...(drugs are illegal so they can't be high on pills or smoke ect) they don't care, rich or poor. The thing about it all that makes me laugh is most of them will wade out into the sea and walk in each others piss and possibly crap....ha ha ha....they don't care about that either! Sum nom na....

I have seen many Thai people dropping rubbish in the street especially the children who seem to do it naturally as if taught from day one that it is normal and okay. Outside a popular street corner store yesterday I watched a Thai girl unwrap her icecream and just let go of the wrapper with absolutely no concern on her face. Despite the law and fines nothing has changed and the lack of rubbish bins in many busy areas doesn't help. I have seen the some bins overflowing with rubbish because there are so few. Keeps people in jobs I guess but spoils the look until they do.

Full moon parties are nothing more than a money making venture where drug and alcohol sales are the priority and the authorities make a hefty cut to turn a blind eye. Thais couldn't care less as long as they are making money. It's the only reason these are allowed to go on.

At least the Laos authorities had the decency to shut down Vang Vieng parties after it got out of control and tourists started dying. The Thais? They are all too busy with their snouts in the trough...

The sooner they are banned the better before we see another Kho Tao type incident where someone loses a son or a daughter to Thailands murky underworld.

I live close to Hat Maerampung beach in Rayong and it's full of rubbish all year round from the fishing fleets dumping plastic rice ballast bags, sodium arc lamps, fluorescent tubes etc. We then have the weekend and holiday Bangkok crowd who plaster the beach in rubbish and the hordes of families in pick ups throwing rubbish out as they drive up & down the beach road.

It's not just a Thai problem, I have seen it in Turkey in national parks where the ground is covered plus the town where I grew up in, in the UK where drunken youngsters will throw their food wrappers away as they're unable to walk 1m to a rubbish bin and that's without the pavements caked in chewing gum.

I live close to Hat Maerampung beach in Rayong and it's full of rubbish all year round from the fishing fleets dumping plastic rice ballast bags, sodium arc lamps, fluorescent tubes etc. We then have the weekend and holiday Bangkok crowd who plaster the beach in rubbish and the hordes of families in pick ups throwing rubbish out as they drive up & down the beach road.

It's not just a Thai problem, I have seen it in Turkey in national parks where the ground is covered plus the town where I grew up in, in the UK where drunken youngsters will throw their food wrappers away as they're unable to walk 1m to a rubbish bin and that's without the pavements caked in chewing gum.

You forgot the dogshit next to the chewing gum giggle.gif

i want name and shame. all names listed in all local papers, all families pictures and fired from all jobs!!!

they are ruining our world!!!!

i'm sure they all get on youtube and talk about being a vegan and saving animals, while they throw plastic into the ocean and throw up on monkeys....

Who to blame ? I think it truly is us against them....farang against Thai. Thailand has been around for a long time and should have it together by now. You don't see beaches like this in any farang country, even those that hold parties. No excuse for the way things are here except for greed, corruption and laziness. Never take responsibility is something they must learn in school. If it is like this at every party why do they not do something to correct the situation. And where do the farang said get these bottles and plastic from ? Shouldn't these people who sell this stuff provide a way to get rid of it ?

I wish it wasn't true but after 2 decades here I am still reminded everyday that Thailand is third world.

"...The scene will shame many of the wealthy westerners..."

No, no, no. What the hell do you think is going to happen at a party where there are young irresponsible drunk adults barely out of their teens and probably very few or no garbage cans provided or not emptied on a regular basis.

It should shame the Thai government for not putting into place tight controls and a plethora of garbage cans everywhere to be used and emptied at regular intervals. If you host a party it is the hosts that are responsible for controlling the people, as best as they can, who get drunk and stupid.

....Westerners to blame again....!@#$%^&*(

...who organizes...sells and profits from this.......

...the Westerners are just there to dish out their money.....

...factor in hotels and whatever else.....

...maybe the pristine locals should take some of their profit and placed garbage bins around.....

...then again...when was the last time you invited someone to a party...and had them clean up afterwards....

....the only rule is....it seems....'Westerners pay all'.....

I live on the islands and although I find this behaviour disgusting I often see the Thai's throwing plastic onto the streets whilst they are driving or riding there motor bikes on Christmas Eve they even burnt a load of car tyres within 50 metres of my house the black smoke and smell were terrible and when you go and question why they do it they think it's a joke and just start laughing

I'd rather be worried to such as to where the locals will dump the trash, than partygoers dumping trash at the party.

Some of the non-recycable trash, will it just get openly burnt or just dumped into a hole somewhere on the island ?

Wonder if we went after the collectors secretly (yes, they are paid for doing this from the Had Rin Beach fee every partygoer has to pay) to check what happens all that trash, besides the recycable items, we would discover something that will go ultra-viral on the World's press, and maybe it would be called a shame for Thailand?

. . .in other words, did you ever mind the smoke curling into the skies above the islands?

Archived