A foreign father want to bring outside of Thailand his Thai kid, how to do ?

I've daughter with dual citizenship Thai and EU

I wish to bring my daughter out of Thailand, so, what official document I need to require to go outside of Thailand, I know it's need authorization of the mother but she will not go with us, but I wish it be a official authorization to be sure that I can pass Immigration control sucessfully with thai daughter.. and don't lose the flight

and I would like to know also, it's possible I back to Thailand with the EU passport of my kid at the Thai Immigration, & don't show the Thai passport.., then in future, I can go again outside of Thailand with the EU passport of my daughter with hassle things ?

If the mother comes to the airport and can be summoned to the immigration desk then thats about as good as it gets, make sure you have the birth certificate etc..

But your daughter should enter/exit Thailand on her Thai passport, and enter/exit EU on her EU passport.

A letter from the mother agreeing to you talking the child out of Thailand together with the child's birth certificate, to show that the woman who signed the letter is the child's mother, should suffice.

If you want something more official then all I can think of is going to court and obtaining a sole custody order.

Sorry Sawan Chan 7 but this is not my experience. My daughter has both Thai and Aussie passports and when I was over in October to bring her back to Australia for a holiday the officer at the immigration counter asked where the permission was from the mother. I had nothing in writing so he called over the supervisor who brought me around the back for a chat. I presented my child's Aussie passport, her birth certificate and her Aussie citizenship papers. She said all this was irrelevant and that I would not be able to leave the country with her without the mothers permission. I called her mother who then gave permission verbally to the supervisor. She then proceeded to take our photos along with a few notes and allowed us to be on our way. I believe there is a "Letter of Consent" form available from a local Amphur (to be signed by both parents approving the child to leave the country) that would negate the need for any phone calls. I will follow this up on my next visit to Thailand. Hope this helps.

PS. I presented my child's Thai passport at immigration. I had wondered if it would have made any difference had I presented her Aussie passport? She has the same surname as me; would their system have picked up that she also held a Thai passport?

• Like 1

Every time we leave Thailand on travels the immigration officer asks the missus if she's the mother of the kids. Never tried to leave without her and have seen other solo male travellers with kids pulled around the back for a chat. So it's not unusual.

Immigration would have asked where the entry stamps for Thailand were.

Why do you call her Thai when she has Dual citizenship?

I've been looking into this and there is no law saying that you need to show anything from your wife.

You don't need permission from your wife.

I have a son with dual citizen, 2 x passport ,one Thai One NZ, I leave NZ on his NZ passport and enter Thailand on Thai and vice versa.

No one ever asks a question when travelling with either parent even grandmother brought him to NZ one time needed nothing but passports, however if your worried carry the Birth certificate also, we carry birth certs anyway.

Sorry Sawan Chan 7 but this is not my experience. My daughter has both Thai and Aussie passports and when I was over in October to bring her back to Australia for a holiday the officer at the immigration counter asked where the permission was from the mother. I had nothing in writing so he called over the supervisor who brought me around the back for a chat. I presented my child's Aussie passport, her birth certificate and her Aussie citizenship papers. She said all this was irrelevant and that I would not be able to leave the country with her without the mothers permission. I called her mother who then gave permission verbally to the supervisor. She then proceeded to take our photos along with a few notes and allowed us to be on our way. I believe there is a "Letter of Consent" form available from a local Amphur (to be signed by both parents approving the child to leave the country) that would negate the need for any phone calls. I will follow this up on my next visit to Thailand. Hope this helps.

PS. I presented my child's Thai passport at immigration. I had wondered if it would have made any difference had I presented her Aussie passport? She has the same surname as me; would their system have picked up that she also held a Thai passport?

It would be interesting to see if they would make the same fuzz if your Thai wife would leave the country with your Thai-foreign child. It would not surprise me if this is another example of double standards.

Legally there is no basis for this, when you have a passport you can travel. The passport application includes written permission of both parents, that's when the parents give consent for the kid to travel. Once the kid has the passport it can travel even without parents.

If the child is allowed on board is more an issue of the airline as they are responsible for the return if the passenger has no visa for the destination country.

• Like 1

A good friend here traveled to the USA about six months ago with his two adopted daughters (Thai, twins). He has a court document for the adoption and sole custody, and got another court paper especially for that trip. No problems re Thai or USA (got visas for them).

I go every year with my daughter, she have dual citizenship (EU/TH)

At at TH immigration use the TH passport(they do sometimes ask to see the EU passport), in EU use the EU passport,,, never had any problem the last 10 years.

You can let her enter TH on her EU passport,,, but you will have to make VISA for her then,, lot of work for nothing when she already have a TH passport

Happy new Year!!!

January3rd 2016 I tried to take my son out of Thailand on his uk passport was refused exit at immigration due to no signed papers from the mother, she disappeared 4 weeks ago now i have to leave my son in Thailand with the in laws and come back April to go to court and hopefully get legal custody is there anyway of getting this done quicker as my visa runs out soon and need to get back to the uk

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2015 at 6:22 AM, PINKERPINKER said:

I believe there is a "Letter of Consent" form available from a local Amphur (to be signed by both parents approving the child to leave the country)

Does anybody know the Thai name or Thai Letter code and number for this official document? 

• 2 years later...
On 1/5/2016 at 6:42 AM, skodo said:

January3rd 2016 I tried to take my son out of Thailand on his uk passport was refused exit at immigration due to no signed papers from the mother, she disappeared 4 weeks ago now i have to leave my son in Thailand with the in laws and come back April to go to court and hopefully get legal custody is there anyway of getting this done quicker as my visa runs out soon and need to get back to the uk

I am curious, what was the final outcome. I do hope that everything went well for you and the child. 

On 12/6/2019 at 4:08 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Uhmm, yes and no.

Like many things in Thailand it's hit and miss how any official spins the regulations.

We've had a few of these threads, and sometimes folks sail through with nothing, then there is a spectrum of the letter from the Amphur to Mom scribbling something on a cocktail napkin.

I had the extreme case, where I didn't even know I needed anything, and it took Mom, son and me on a video call with immigration to get them to finally let us board our flight.

Play safe, get the letter from the Amphur just in case.

This is one of those rare cases where I'm actually on board with Thai authorities. Trans national child abduction by a parent, and worse still child trafficking are all too real, so the more safeguards the better in my book

When I make a post on here I make sure I speak from experience. I myself, and a myriad of others I know, have never needed a letter from a local district office.

In fact, talking to many people recently, this is the first we had ever heard of it.

I had a letter from mother of child once and was not asked for it. I even offered it up and was told "no problem".

11 minutes ago, puchooay said:

When I make a post on here I make sure I speak from experience. I myself, and a myriad of others I know, have never needed a letter from a local district office.

In fact, talking to many people recently, this is the first we had ever heard of it.

I had a letter from mother of child once and was not asked for it. I even offered it up and was told "no problem".

How long ago was this ?

Thailand tightened up the rules a few years ago , anti Child trafficking laws and now its quite regulated about taking Children out of Thailand without the mothers consent .

Immigration will not let a Child out the country unless its legal , they check these days

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

How long ago was this ?

Thailand tightened up the rules a few years ago , anti Child trafficking laws and now its quite regulated about taking Children out of Thailand without the mothers consent .

Immigration will not let a Child out the country unless its legal , they check these days

I have taken my daughter out twice in the last 18 months. I know others who have taken kids out in the last year too.

None of us have ever been asked for a document from any district office. All have had a letter from the mother as a back up but never been asked to show it or have immigration been interested in it.

Edited by puchooay

11 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I have taken my daughter out twice in the last 18 months. I know others who have taken kids out in the last year too.

None of us have ever been asked for a document from any district office. All have had a letter from the mother as a back up but never been asked to show it or have immigration been interested in it.

We are talking about taking children out of Thailand for the first time though .

Its plain sailing after you have done it once  , just the first time is difficult 

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

We are talking about taking children out of Thailand for the first time though .

Its plain sailing after you have done it once  , just the first time is difficult 

So, as you are approaching immigration, how would they know it was the first time? Foreigners and Thais leave at different channels.

13 minutes ago, puchooay said:

So, as you are approaching immigration, how would they know it was the first time? Foreigners and Thais leave at different channels.

Completely empty passport for the kid , not having an  entry stamp would show its the kids first time out of Thailand .

Edited by sanemax

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Completely empty passport for the kid , not having an  entry stamp would show its the kids first time out of Thailand .

When I took my daughter to UK for the first time her passport was blank. No problems. Many friends have had the same situation. Totally same procedure second time, third and so on.

One friend's son's passport had a stamp from a previous trip with his mother. Same procedures at immigration.

Edited by puchooay

8 minutes ago, puchooay said:

When I took my daughter to UK for the first time her passport was blank. No problems. Many friends have had the same situation. Totally same procedure second time, third and so on.

Was this before or after the clampdown, which happened a few years ago when Thailand clamped down on Child trafficking ?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Ws that the first time that you took her out of Thailand on a blank passport  with out an entry stamp 

Yes, it was. Not sure why you are asking so many questions over and over. I think my posts have been clear and precise.

Just a re cap.....1st, 2nd and more times I have never been asked for any proof of relationship or permissions to take my daughter out of Thailand. Neither have any friends or acquaintances of mine. This includes times within the past 2 years and less.