A foreign father want to bring outside of Thailand his Thai kid, how to do ?

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No need for the tarring & feathering:  As its Thailand, we just don't know with any certainty what can or cannot happen. Immigration blow hot and cold on many issues. 

I do know of two friends who only managed to pass through Immigration with their Child after Immigration were satisfied following a phone-call with the Childs mother. It was a hassle and they had to go into a separate room (Immigration office), Immigration also wanted to talk to the child separately (not fun for the child or the father) - it was an unnecessary ball ache for them, especially after I'd advised my friend of the need for the letter !! (he was just lazy to get it!)

Personally, I was not even questioned when traveling alone with my son (twice).

If the mother is present at the Airport and the Immigration officer questions the Father, I'm sure they would be more conducive to letting the Father and child pass immigration if the response was "the mother is just 20 meters away in departures, lets talk with her"...  

I've not know of this happening of course, so my guess on whether or not this is feasible is as good as yours. Nevertheless, when I travelled alone with my Son, I asked my Wife (who'd dropped us off) to stay in the airport until I passed Immigration just incase. 

Thanks Richard. Personal experience speaks volumes over mere speculation and hearsay. Good info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

If the Father is registered on the birth certificate, for which a passport copy is required, that is proof of legitimisation. Therefore, gives the Father the right to have his child travel out of Thailand with him, so I have been told....

The Father can be named on the Birth certificate , but that doesnt make the child legitimised for the father  if the parents are not married .

Unmarried Fathers have to go to court to get the child legitimised and once that has been done and they are the legal guardian, THEN, they can take the child out of Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just an add-on to this subject. I am planning to take my son to the UK in March. I think that we tick all the boxes. Married 9 years, I'm on his birth certificate, still with mother and no problem with getting letter from Ampur. He has dual nationality/passports. He has been to the UK before with both parents but my wife doesn't wish to travel this time. 

I have two questions on which others who have done this already might be able to advise me. Firstly did they experience any issues entering the UK on a UK passport? Should I perhaps get a translated copy of the Ampur letter? Secondly, what about transiting a third country? i really like travelling with Emirates but might there be difficulty at Dubai? I appreciate that I could get a direct flight but I really don't like 11 hour non-stop flights and the superb Emirates in-flight entertainment would really keep an eight year old fascinated.

Thanks in advance for any information on your experiences.      

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, sniggie said:

Firstly did they experience any issues entering the UK on a UK passport? 

None at all, but when check in at the desk on the way back make sure they log him out on the system as departing with his UK passport Then he can use his Thai passport the rest of the way. Both passports presented at BKK check-in ( no online), then used UK passport after passing immigration.

We went via Doha using Qatar Airways.

Had his Thai & British birth cert copies, if asked.

• Thanks 1