'How to' plumb sound through a TV?

evadgib

Hi All,

I have a netbook permanently plumbed into my TV in order to watch IPlayers etc on a full size screen. At the moment I'm having to use external speakers but they're not particularly good. Can anyone please point me in the direction re how to receive sound through the TV along with the picture?

Both netbook and TV are Samsung, umbilically connected by a (scart?) lead.

Not too heavy on the jargon please, I'm a technical luddite :)

Thank you.

Yes, I'm with Gsxrnz.

What type of 'video cable' are you currently using to connect to your TV?

Below are images of a SCART, VGA, DVI, and HDMI cable connector.

Custom-1-5M-Scart-to-VGA-converter.jpg_241q1dDEEcHL._SX300_.jpg

SCART is an older A/V/data connector, unlikely to be found on a newer netbook or laptop.

If you use an HDMI cable, the netbook will usually detect its connection and transfer both Video and Audio over to the newly connected display. Alternately, while connected, you can check your Netbook Audio settings to see if an HDMI Audio Device has been detected and enable it for output.

Thanks for your replies. The situation so far is:

- There is no HDMI port on the netbook. I have no idea whether HDMI to USB port is possible therefore didn't look too hard to find one this afternoon.

- My scart lead has 15 pins at each end/both ends are identical/male.

- I had assumed the answer would be found in the TV control but I have now tried that and the audio settings as per reply no 2 to no avail.

- As far as I can remember the netbook was purchased in 2009.

This isn't a particularly serious problem as my setup does work, but I could do with it being a little louder. Thankfully my VPN enables me to read subtitles!

Happy New Year smile.png

Hi,

Scart can transmit video but no sound. 15-pin is known as VGA.
Your netbook doesn't have HDMI, does your TV have HDMI?
If so, what you need is a VGA to HDMI output video cable converter adapter.
I don't know where in Thailand would sell one but you can buy them for $10.45 on a website called www.aliexpress.com with free shipping to Thailand. Free shipping will take ages but you can pay for faster shipping if you want.
These adapters have a scart (15-pin) vga cable, a 3.5mm audio jack and a USB cable on one end.
You plug these into your netbook. The VGA is for video, the 3.5mm is for audio and the USB is for power.
You'll need to buy a separate HDMI cable to go from the adapter to your TV.

If your TV doesn't have HDMI input, you'll need a HDMI to component cable. This has HDMI on one end and five component inputs on the other (three are for video, two are audio). $2.75 on aliexpress.

Archived