Monk flips off man who refuses to make donation to Buddhism

webfact

Monk flips off man who refuses to make donation to Buddhism
By Coconuts Bangkok

monk1_0.jpg
A photo of a monk and his middle finger went viral this week. Photo: Chaiyuti Janrakongtong

CHIANG MAI: -- This monk did not take it well when a Chiang Mai man refused to give him a donation.

Photos of a mad monk giving a non-devotee the middle finger after his request for a THB100 donation was rejected went viral this week, ending another year of scandalous Buddhism business in Thailand.

The group of monks in the photo were said to be walking around and asking for donations by a shopping mall in Chiang Mai.

“I don’t know what they were trying to do, but they asked me for THB100. I looked at their desperate faces and didn’t say anything,” Facebook user Chayuti Janrakongtong wrote.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/30/monk-flips-man-who-refuses-make-donation-buddhism

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-30

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Mr. Chayuti. It must be a hard to think and act outside the normal Thai paradigm. Wai, bow, scrape, get on your knees, spit out money and food, no eye contact. Pffft. Bloody nonsense.

This religion krap has gone too far and is as corrupt as any other man-made power and control mechanism.

Fundamentally, I don't see much wrong with Buddhism.

What I do see is wrong is the Thai mis-application of Buddhism.

It is hard to escape the accusation of "They are just men in saffron robes" when Thais can go and be a monk for a month - and then revert to self after leaving the wat. Very often the reasons for becoming a monk are flawed and done under family pressure.

He must have been quick on the draw to get that photo.

Or more likely the finger was a response to the photo taking.

so?... monks shouldn't forgive? be compassionate?or understanding?

That act was just rude and impolite, no matter what.

Of course it's just my opinion.

Genuine and sincere monks do not as a rule walk around asking for money.

As another poster has said they can become a monk for a month, usually a ' get out of jail free card ' after committing some heinous crime.

I have only ever been approached in Thailand once by monks for money around 5.30am when I was buying some early morning BBQ, they were from outside the district and asked for 100 baht for food, which I gave.I was caught off guard by them asking. That's the only time in 20 plus years I have been asked.

I have been approached many times by scam monks in Siem Reap and Phnom Penn but I was told by the local Cambodians that those guys were neither monks nor Cambodian, they were Chinese scam artists. When I asked why they were not arrested I ewas told they paid local law enforcement weekly.

The problem is that there are many times people dressed as monks or monks from somewhere far far away coming to beg for money. We had a bunch of monks that came from Bangkok to beg for money... I stay in Sukothai 4-500 km from Bangkok.

I can give money but I only give to a temple that is nearby or that I visit frequently.

Buddhism is a business selling hope and lucky numbers

Thai Buddhism certainly,

Its not a religion in the first place, its a philosophy, as the Buddha would be the first to say were he to be given the opportunity....

Archived