BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Monk flips off man who refuses to make donation to Buddhism

Real monks are not allowed to ask for anything, let alone money... I reckon these were fake monks.

Genuine and sincere monks do not as a rule walk around asking for money.

As another poster has said they can become a monk for a month, usually a ' get out of jail free card ' after committing some heinous crime.

I have only ever been approached in Thailand once by monks for money around 5.30am when I was buying some early morning BBQ, they were from outside the district and asked for 100 baht for food, which I gave.I was caught off guard by them asking. That's the only time in 20 plus years I have been asked.

I have been approached many times by scam monks in Siem Reap and Phnom Penn but I was told by the local Cambodians that those guys were neither monks nor Cambodian, they were Chinese scam artists. When I asked why they were not arrested I ewas told they paid local law enforcement weekly.

Fake monks. Gangsters in the yellow robe .

Well, the country is reknowned for fakes and scams. Anyway, monks have been cruising the streets and markets for years seeking cash donations.

Organized Beggars.........

Welcome to yet another episode of "Discover Thainess!" :)

Let's hope there will be a public defrocking ceremony be held in public where anyone is allowed to spit on that rotten apple...

More of this, please. Myanmar workers I know have told me many times ( over 20 years) that Thais don't follow the true path of Buddhism, no matter how well intentioned. Now I understand that remark.

That gesture can get you shot here but since he is a monk i will give him the benefit of the doubt, he was saying one hundred, just one!!

The problem is that there are many times people dressed as monks or monks from somewhere far far away coming to beg for money. We had a bunch of monks that came from Bangkok to beg for money... I stay in Sukothai 4-500 km from Bangkok.

I can give money but I only give to a temple that is nearby or that I visit frequently.

Maybe what he really means is that you are number 1 in his book :).... Or he wants to have sex with you .... Wow

Buddhism is a business selling hope and lucky numbers

Thai Buddhism certainly,

Its not a religion in the first place, its a philosophy, as the Buddha would be the first to say were he to be given the opportunity....

My past gf's brother was a real scumbag and became a monk... So I should respect him??? Not a chance !!! Later he dropped out of monk hood and returned to being the same POS.

One bad monk is news. Thousands of good monks is nothing.

"you are only as good as your last job" this saying goes for many things