Monk flips off man who refuses to make donation to Buddhism

webfact

Alas, true Chiang Mai monks will hardly be found near department stores. Recently there have been lots of complaints about lay men imposters who dress like monks and only ask money, not food or whatever. Shame on these people. In case we forget there is also a great divide between practicing monks and novices and yellow clad monks in education temples.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More of this, please. Myanmar workers I know have told me many times ( over 20 years) that Thais don't follow the true path of Buddhism, no matter how well intentioned. Now I understand that remark.

It may interest you then to find out the original meaning of the word siam and why they changed it to freeland.

Many Monks are just regular people...dress in an orange robe...begging for 100 baht notes...flipping you off is fairly harmless...they figure it beats a real job...

There are others...in uniform and in an official capacity...that also are looking for donations of 100 baht notes...when one does not cooperate...they do not flip you off...they move you to a central location where the amount of required donation goes up...

This is Thailand...

There is nothing wrong with Buddhism,,,It's the way they go about it,They are more or less Demanding money from people, It's not suppose to be about money, They suppose to be very happy IF some people OFFER them money /food,,,,,They are just Criminals in a Yellow robe,,,The more they get the more they want,,, Parasites,,,

Any man, dressed in the Buddhist Monk Robe who solicits for money IS NOT A REAL TRUE FOLLOWER OF THE LORD BUDDHA ! ! !

A REAL monk will NEVER ask for ANYTHING, unless in an emergency, that's what the Dharma teaches and I have this confirmed by my Brother-in-Law, who has been a Buddhist monk for 20+ years and who is also a Prof. Dr.

wai.gif

It was just brought to my (fairly naive) attention, that there have been movements afoot, for a number of years already, by vague groups of people who are intent on dis-crediting Buddhism in Thailand. - In fact, there recently was a case of 4 Muslims, who shaved their heads, donned the Orange Robes and started going around, generally giving totally wrong signals in order to make Buddhism look bad.

Karma will catch-up with them, I trust . . . .

Genuine and sincere monks do not as a rule walk around asking for money.

[...]

I have been approached many times by scam monks in Siem Reap and Phnom Penn but I was told by the local Cambodians that those guys were neither monks nor Cambodian, they were Chinese scam artists. When I asked why they were not arrested I ewas told they paid local law enforcement weekly.

There's one that worked the street bars down lower Sukhumvit. I'd play all innocent and ask in Isaan dialect what he's doing there, then switch to Thai and ask where he's going as he quickly scurried off. He never spoke, only smiled and waied as he took money from the naive.

My Teerak looked at the picture and proclaimed that the monk is from Myanmar. Lol clap2.gifAnyway, her take is that they are Myanmar and not really monks, just guys dressing up as monks and soliciting money from passerbys. Given that the guy 'asked' for money and had that reaction when he didn't get it, I tend to agree with her assessment. If he really is a monk, he seriously needs to take those robe off.

Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy it is a way to lead your life. Buddha was not a Buddhist. He was a teacher.

And he had some pretty big feet. Have you seen the size of the foot prints he left at some of the temples around the country?.....

Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy it is a way to lead your life. Buddha was not a Buddhist. He was a teacher.

So the story books say!

He was a prince first who left his wife and child to sit under a tree. Later in life,without getting a divorce,he shacked up with a wealthy widow, seems in the end he liked his home comforts,pity about the poison mushroom.

As has been said here many times, true monks don't ask for money. If you see a monk walking around with his bowl after about 7 am, something fishy going on. I'm betting these monks in this picture are not true monks and have now fled the scene. coffee1.gif

Fundamentally, I don't see much wrong with Buddhism.

What I do see is wrong is the Thai mis-application of Buddhism.

It is hard to escape the accusation of "They are just men in saffron robes" when Thais can go and be a monk for a month - and then revert to self after leaving the wat. Very often the reasons for becoming a monk are flawed and done under family pressure.

Or political pressure! e.g. Suthep!

More of this, please. Myanmar workers I know have told me many times ( over 20 years) that Thais don't follow the true path of Buddhism, no matter how well intentioned. Now I understand that remark.

Very true but I'm not sure they're much better in Myanmar.

Whenever I am held back when waiting to board a domestic flight here, to let a monk board first, I think: "is he not supposed to walk it?".

Yah. They don't like waiting in queues at taxi ranks at big bus stations either. Straight to the front, round the other side and into the first taxi that comes along. Don't worry, the 30 + folks who've been waiting for 40 mins already don't mind waiting longer. Self-serving in my book. They'll get f all from me that's for sure.

Sent using Tapatalk

My past gf's brother was a real scumbag and became a monk... So I should respect him??? Not a chance !!! Later he dropped out of monk hood and returned to being the same POS.

I do notice that a lot of them have tattoos, frequently hinting at mis-spent pre-monkhood past. I often wonder if some of these guys will remain monks after the statute of limitations (or just local citizen & police memory of the offences they were being sought for) has expired.

Archived