Bangkok vs Barcelona

RichardThailand

I've lived in both quite recently.

Climate:

Needless to say, Bangkok is warmer, but to the point that it is too hot most of the time.

In Barcelona the weather is quite nice most of the year, and you get all four seasons. Winters are MUCH colder than Bangkok.

Cost of living:

Housing in the mid-range segment is quite similar cost-wise i.e. a 2BR apartment with terrace in Barcelona can be around 1000€ (40.000THB). But you will not find a condo for 150€ like you might in Bangkok. So at the very lower end, Barcelona cannot compete with BKK. I would say that in Barcelona you have to spend at least 400-500€ on rent per month, whereas in Bangkok you can get away with much less.

Food. Most groceries are cheaper in Barcelona (beer 0.50€, serrano ham 2€), you can buy wine and cheese for a fraction of the price of Bangkok.

Dining out will typically cost between 8-20€ so obviously Bangkok is cheaper in that sense, but keep in mind that we are comparing apples to oranges (different food, quality, and service).

In Barcelona you can usually have a pint for 3€. An imported IPA for 5€.

Shopping (clothes, electronics) is cheaper in Barcelona.

Activities:

Barcelona - coastal city with beach and mountains.

You can go hiking the nearby mountains and jogging/walking in the city all year round, and from April-September the beach is right at your doorstep if you live in Barceloneta area. Overall, Barcelona is quite a beautiful city, with nice architecture, small narrow alleys with lots of character. The local metro system is very easy to use, covers the city well and costs 1€ per ride.

Bangkok - I honestly don't think there is that much to do in Bangkok except eat, drink and have fun with the local ladies. The city is also not that easy on the eye and typically smells really bad. Weekend trips sure, but that gets old fast.

Overall I would say that for me Barcelona is the winner (I live in Bangkok currently though). But if you are into nightlife and the whole lady-scene, then that changes the equation quite a bit.

The other aspect of this equation is that if you speak a little bit of spanish, there is actually a chance you will be understood, unlike here where those of us who speak little, are rarely understood. Most of the Latin American countries have a real ear for language, and are linguistically inclined, unlike the Thais. Here, if you do not pronounce a sentence correctly, you have little chance that they will make an effort to figure out what you are saying, as the quality of extrapolation is missing. Over there, it is abundant in spades, and they will go out of their way to try to pick up what you are saying, and will be able to guess and surmise the thread of the question. That quality is virtually non-existent here. And then there is the added advantage of using the same alphabet! Now, that would be a real joy.

Does anyone have any idea of the scene there, in terms of babes?

The other aspect of this equation is that if you speak a little bit of spanish, there is actually a chance you will be understood, unlike here where those of us who speak little, are rarely understood. Most of the Latin American countries have a real ear for language, and are linguistically inclined, unlike the Thais. Here, if you do not pronounce a sentence correctly, you have little chance that they will make an effort to figure out what you are saying, as the quality of extrapolation is missing. Over there, it is abundant in spades, and they will go out of their way to try to pick up what you are saying, and will be able to guess and surmise the thread of the question. That quality is virtually non-existent here. And then there is the added advantage of using the same alphabet! Now, that would be a real joy.

Does anyone have any idea of the scene there, in terms of babes?

lots of nice chicks with nice gams

If I was retired I would choose Barcelona. I enjoy outdoor activies and Bkk is too hot and humid to be out, now I mostly go to shopping malls to get out of the house.

Bkk only wins when it comes to a cheaper housing.

Quality of life is not nearly as good Barcelona.

Apologies smotherb but when i first clicked on the topic i did so before the ThaiVisa newsletter was published with the added text of 'for expat living'.

If that was in the topic title, i wouldn't have replied mentioning football.

Any tips on how to use the internet would be greatfully received. Happy new year.

Apologies smotherb but when i first clicked on the topic i did so before the ThaiVisa newsletter was published with the added text of 'for expat living'.

If that was in the topic title, i wouldn't have replied mentioning football.

Any tips on how to use the internet would be greatfully received. Happy new year.

I was referring to the OP. A simple google of, "cost of living Barcelona vs. Bangkok" would give loads of info.

Climate:

Needless to say, Bangkok is warmer, but to the point that it is too hot most of the time.

In Barcelona the weather is quite nice most of the year, and you get all four seasons. Winters are MUCH colder than Bangkok.

Cost of living:

Housing in the mid-range segment is quite similar cost-wise i.e. a 2BR apartment with terrace in Barcelona can be around 1000€ (40.000THB). But you will not find a condo for 150€ like you might in Bangkok. So at the very lower end, Barcelona cannot compete with BKK. I would say that in Barcelona you have to spend at least 400-500€ on rent per month, whereas in Bangkok you can get away with much less.

Food. Most groceries are cheaper in Barcelona (beer 0.50€, serrano ham 2€), you can buy wine and cheese for a fraction of the price of Bangkok.

Dining out will typically cost between 8-20€ so obviously Bangkok is cheaper in that sense, but keep in mind that we are comparing apples to oranges (different food, quality, and service).

In Barcelona you can usually have a pint for 3€. An imported IPA for 5€.

Activities:

You can go hiking the nearby mountains and jogging/walking in the city all year round, and from April-September the beach is right at your doorstep if you live in Barceloneta area. Overall, Barcelona is quite a beautiful city, with nice architecture, small narrow alleys with lots of character. The local metro system is very easy to use, covers the city well and costs 1€ per ride.

Bangkok - I honestly don't think there is that much to do in Bangkok except eat, drink and have fun with the local ladies. The city is also not that easy on the eye and typically smells really bad. Weekend trips sure, but that gets old fast.

Overall I would say that for me Barcelona is the winner (I live in Bangkok currently though). But if you are into nightlife and the whole lady-scene, then that changes the equation quite a bit.

Climate:

Cost of living:

Housing in the mid-range segment is quite similar cost-wise i.e. a 2BR apartment with terrace in Barcelona can be around 1000 (40.000THB). But you will not find a condo for 150 like you might in Bangkok. So at the very lower end, Barcelona cannot compete with BKK. I would say that in Barcelona you have to spend at least 400-500 on rent per month, whereas in Bangkok you can get away with much less.

Food. Most groceries are cheaper in Barcelona (beer 0.50, serrano ham 2), you can buy wine and cheese for a fraction of the price of Bangkok.

Dining out will typically cost between 8-20 so obviously Bangkok is cheaper in that sense, but keep in mind that we are comparing apples to oranges (different food, quality, and service).

In Barcelona you can usually have a pint for 3. An imported IPA for 5.

Activities:

You can go hiking the nearby mountains and jogging/walking in the city all year round, and from April-September the beach is right at your doorstep if you live in Barceloneta area. Overall, Barcelona is quite a beautiful city, with nice architecture, small narrow alleys with lots of character. The local metro system is very easy to use, covers the city well and costs 1 per ride.

Having been to both this is an excellent summation,well done. Far more to do in Barcelona of a more interesting cultural nature and way easier to get around. Bangkok really just one dimensional,difficult to travel ,uncomfortable and smelly. More expensive overall in Barcelona but a place that's nice to be rather than Bangkok that's quickly becomes a place to get in and out of as quickly as possible. Chacun a son gout though.

A beautiful, world-class cultural city with beaches, mountains, beautiful architecture and a mild climate filled with lovely friendly people who will treat you as an equal, versus a pig-ugly, world-class slum with no culture and an unhealthy climate from hell, filled with people trying to rip you off at every opportunity. Barcelona is A LOT cheaper than Bangkok too, which much better quality food available even in cheap local cafes, much cheaper supermarkets for everything too compared to Bangkok.

If money is no object and you're a young, dashing stud, Barcelona. To me, a big part of 'quality of life' is prices. BKK nightlife is lame compared to other major international cities. You can date out of your league here, but Thai chix are all the same flavour. Gets boring quick. Brown nips, ugly feet etc. Girls are better in Barcelona, but I don't have 'yellow fever'.

A beautiful, world-class cultural city with beaches, mountains, beautiful architecture and a mild climate filled with lovely friendly people who will treat you as an equal, versus a pig-ugly, world-class slum with no culture and an unhealthy climate from hell, filled with people trying to rip you off at every opportunity. Barcelona is A LOT cheaper than Bangkok too, which much better quality food available even in cheap local cafes, much cheaper supermarkets for everything too compared to Bangkok.

Barcelona is A LOT cheaper than Bangkok too,"

???? BKK is almost free! Barcelona is expensive! Spanish food is lamer than lame.

post-247044-0-02200800-1451638014_thumb.

Will be likely checking out Spain an Portugal after my visa expires in thailand, even though it looks like it costs a little bit more.

Us citizens can stay 90 days without a visa and it would be easy to stay 3 months in Barcelona and just hop border for another 3 months in Lisbon.

It seems most posters here are pro Barcelona in a Thailand based forum, hmm a bit odd, why don't you go to Barcelona then?

I got 2 reasons I can't: My wife don't want to move and I am gone 6 month per year for overseas work and we got a 6 year old, so we stay (well not in Bangkok)

I am pretty sure if we did go that I would have to pay a hefty income tax, here in Thailand zero.

Spain is not that safe anymore; read in an expat forum about some East Europeans burglarized houses on Costa Del Sol and beat up the house owners in the process despite some of them didn't resists.

The grass is always greener and so forth.

Consumer Prices in Barcelona are 30.80% higher than in Bangkok Consumer Prices Including Rent in Barcelona are 24.59% higher than in Bangkok Rent Prices in Barcelona are 10.56% higher than in Bangkok Restaurant Prices in Barcelona are 150.25% higher than in Bangkok Groceries Prices in Barcelona are 0.17% lower than in Bangkok Local Purchasing Power in Barcelona is 114.50% higher than in Bangko

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Spain&city1=Bangkok&city2=Barcelona

Now I know that some will say above is not accurate but it is made by people living there so it's not all bullshit too.

I lived in Barcalona for 10 months while was working in taragona.my children school there...best education they could have. It was great. Loved the beach with the top less girls but dinner time starts around 9 pm.loved the place and want to go.back.

Archived