Koh Tao protesters face legal action

rooster59

Koh Tao protesters face legal action

Yangon - Protesters against the Koh Tao sentence in front of the Royal Thai Embassy in Yangon will face legal action, said Win Shwe from Dagon Township police.

Yangon residents staged protests between December 24 and 30 against the Koh Tao ruling which sentenced two Myanmar migrant workers, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun, to death for seven charges, including killing two British tourists.

"They should have obtained official permission for the protests in advance in accordance with the law. We shall bring them to court under Section 18 [of the Peaceful Assembly and Procession Law]. Now we're checking who took part in the protests," said the police officer.

About 10 demonstrators gathered near the Thai embassy in the morning of December 28. When the police warned them about the assembly law with a loudspeaker, they disbanded. But in the afternoon about 50 demonstrators gathered near the embassy, holding banners saying "we want justice" and chanting the national anthem.

Myanmar's army chief, Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, asked for a review of the sentence and expressed his concerns about the verdict in a New Year message to Thailand's junta leaders. Some political parties and civil society organisations released statements calling for the release of the two workers.

Joining them was Rakhine National Party (RNP). Chairman Aye Maung and 13 MPs signed the letter submitted to King Bhumibol Adulyadej and Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha requesting a review into the Koh Tao ruling.

People in Rakhine State also staged a protest against the verdict, calling for the release of the two migrants. Rakhine youths plan prayer protests on Saturday and Sunday across the state.

"A judicial review should be made. All the news says there were no witnesses to the killing. A person should be punished only when they are convicted with strong evidence," Phay Than from the RNP said.

Taw Phaya, 92, grandson of the last Myanmar king Thibaw, on December 27 also sent a letter requesting the Thai king's help in the review of the verdict.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Koh-Tao-protesters-face-legal-action-30276006.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2016-01-02

Sounds like another country I know.

The government would have drug it's feet in granting permission for the protest or just outright denied permission. And this was a time sensitive protest. It had to take place within one or two days of the ridiculous verdict.

I don't know if I'm the only one here feeling that Madame San Suu Kyi's silence on this matter is somewhat disturbing. And it's not the first time : she was nowhere to be seen or heard on the Rohingya issue.

When one goes from opposition to government, does it automatically imply shifting from activism to passivism ?

If the Koh tao protest was against the law. Why was the protest against the American Consulate not against the law.The government picks and chooses which protest to face legal action. If it is a law all protest are unlawful. Thailand is in a sad state at the present time for picking and not enforcing the law at all protest. There action against this protest will get more press coverage than if they did not choose to put there law in action which other countries in the world do not like at all!

If the Koh tao protest was against the law. Why was the protest against the American Consulate not against the law.The government picks and chooses which protest to face legal action. If it is a law all protest are unlawful. Thailand is in a sad state at the present time for picking and not enforcing the law at all protest. There action against this protest will get more press coverage than if they did not choose to put there law in action which other countries in the world do not like at all!

Um, different country?

Reading is fundamental.

I don't know if I'm the only one here feeling that Madame San Suu Kyi's silence on this matter is somewhat disturbing. And it's not the first time : she was nowhere to be seen or heard on the Rohingya issue.

When one goes from opposition to government, does it automatically imply shifting from activism to passivism ?

Has she actually taken up the 'drivers seat'?

She is still a politician, which in my humble opinion, is on the same level as ambulance chasing lawyers and slightly above sharks and bottom feeders. Forget the rhetoric, politicians only do what is in their own best interest. Suu Kyi is no exception.

Archived