The End Of Organic Farming Might Be Sooner Than We Thought

Though I am at a loss to understand why so many regard Organic farming with disdain - its as if they can't stand the idea of an alternative point of view or an alternative means of measuring success.

I don't see that, unless you're referring to discussions happening outside of this thread. The actual farmers in the OP certainly aren't disdainful - disillusioned perhaps, disappointed to be sure.

The industrial and agrochemical farming practices that came in during the 20th century are the departure from historical farming practice.

Slash and burn agriculture has been around since the stone age. Compared to that, "industrial and agrochemical" farming was a huge step in the right direction.

But necessarily so - you get that, right? The departure from what you call historical farming practices was driven in large part by a need to keep everyone fed. Human appropriation of the Earth's natural resources (for whatever reason - housing development, to build organic farms or anything else) is just about the worst thing you can do to the planet because it turns the land into an environmental liability with a carbon footprint. And if you're suggesting that we convert more arable land into organic farms, that's when you're going to feel some disdain coming your way because in terms of efficiency, they simply can't compete with modern, technology-assisted farming.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. I don't deny there's a market for it. I only offer the accounts of the small/local farms who don't seem to be waxing enthusiastically about their business prospects.

I'm sure there are plenty of corporate mega-farms that have the deep pockets needed to make the investment in organic farming since there seems to be a demand for it. I used to live in a very affluent area of Washington DC called Logan Circle. There was a Whole Foods market one block away, and I admit to buying the occasional $6 organic tomato from time to time because (1) I could afford it, and (2) it tasted better than the conventional varieties that are selected mainly for their endurance and longevity. But for people whose main concern is simply nutrition and getting something (anything) to eat, I don't see them as a promising future customer base for Big Organic.

So as long as there are people who are willing to pay $6 for a tomato, there are going to be companies who are willing to take that money... but I don't see a future as certain as the one you see:

Healthy organic food sales buck industry trend

Despite the increase in sales, the number of organic farmers in England fell by almost the same amount — 3.8 per cent. Land under organic cultivation also dropped 5 per cent to 575,349 hectares — meaning 3.3 per cent of agricultural land is now managed organically.

Farmers leaving the industry have complained of poor profitability because of the higher costs of producing organic food in the face of uncertain demand.

So higher production coupled with fewer actual farmers means economies of scale are bearing down on the small farmer. It may not be long before we're lamenting the situation where two or three big mega-companies are controlling the organic market.

There's also the possibility that people will start to realize that organic is little more than a display of conspicuous consumption, and that alleged health/nutrition benefits of organic food simply aren't there. The misleading health benefits are artificially propping-up sales of organic produce now. When consumers find out that there really aren't any such benefits, the industry could be in big trouble then.

You are clutching at straws Attrayant, a decline in UK organic farm land coverage in the face of increasing demand is not an indication that organic farming is on its way out.

Especially so when across the EU and the US organic farming is growing at double digit numbers.

UK farming is beset with a number of problems, not least of all is the strangle hold the UK supermarkets that control almost all the UK food market have over their sales contracts and profits.

Here's the link again http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Newsroom/2015/09_17_2015.php

WASHINGTON, Sep 17, 2015 –Today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) released the results of the 2014 Organic Survey, which show that 14,093 certified and exempt organic farms in the United States sold a total of $5.5 billion in organic products in 2014, up 72 percent since 2008.

Organic food market growing by 72% to $5.5Billion between 2008 and 2014 (in the US alone) can in no way be seen as an indication of, how does the article you choose as evidence headline this, 'The End of Organic Farming Might Be Sooner Than We Thought'?!

Whatever the problems of a handful of farmers who couldn't make Organic work for themselves (drtreelove has given comparative business failure data for all businesses - so perhaps not the Organic farming but other reasons for these farmers difficulties), the underlying data is clear and unequivocal - The Organic Market is growing a very healthy pace.

Anyone with an interest in food, farming and the food industry would surely see the development of the Organic market as a good thing, variety, diversification and choice.

There's plenty of room for organic improvement for farmers interested,it holds 1 percent of the market in Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Commerce-Ministry-determined-to-boost-growth-of-Th-30244330.html

From the link tou posted:

"As of 2012, the global value of organic-products trading was US$63.8 billion (Bt2 trillion). The United States was the largest market for organic trading with a value of $22.59 billion, followed by Germany ($7.04 billion), France ($4 billion), Canada ($2.13 billion), and the United Kingdom ($1.95 billion).

Plantation area on the rise

Last year, Thailand had a combined plantation area for organic growing of 314,000 rai (50,000 hectares), some 13.9 per cent higher than the previous year's level.

Most of this - 200,000 rai - was for rice growing, followed by other farm crops at 68,000 rai, and vegetables and fruits at 10,000 rai."

Thank you for helping spread the good news on the growth of organic farming and the organic food market.

Organic farming and the organic food market are expanding.

Only a zealot would deny the fact.

If i ask 10 person here. 10 Person will say there not like to eat chemical an there food.

But how to produce the vegetables without chemical. This is the question. Everythink is a matter of money. The Organic food should not cost more then commercial food. This is all in my eyes.

But i cant see a end of organic farming.

Maybe another approach is something between organic and conventional farming.

Two methods:

- integrated pest management IPM, more information can be found on Google

- organically grown, I saw this method in Japan. They use half synthetic, half organic fertilizer.

And chemicals only if really necessary, some are restricted though.

And for myself, I never bought organic vegetables because they are considered healthier. That's nonsense.

Some taste better, but that's because of another variety.

They only reason for me are the chemical residues in the produce, something you should be aware especially in Thailand.

If i ask 10 person here. 10 Person will say there not like to eat chemical an there food.

But how to produce the vegetables without chemical. This is the question. Everythink is a matter of money.

This is what frustrates me. Are you under the impression that organic farming (whatever that means, as we still can't seem to agree on a good definition for it) uses no chemicals or any kind? I keep hearing people say they prefer organic produce because it's "chemical-free" (a useful marketing/political phrase, but factually nonsense) or because it isn't sprayed with pesticides (it definitely is).

If the general public is laboring under these misunderstandings WRT organic produce, then that means the whole thing is a house of cards that might come tumbling down when (if?) people finally learn the truth. I guess as long as people stay misinformed, organic food sales will continue to be robust.

Buy it for the flavor - as I've already said it tastes great, and great-tasting produce is certainly a good thing if it means people eat more fruits/veggies and less meat/fat and processed junk - but if you're buying organic because of some misguided philosophy that it's healthier or safer than conventional, that's where you're skating on thin ice.

The Organic food should not cost more then commercial food.

Why not? It's inherently more expensive to produce. Unless you're suggesting organic farming subsidies, how can it get to the dinner table as cheaply as conventional (I assume that's what you mean by commercial) food?

Two methods:

I don't disagree with any of that. There is no one right farming method - the best approach is probably a hybrid solution. IPM has been necessary for a long time, in order to fight against evolutionary pest adaptation. It's not something newly discovered or invented.

- organically grown, I saw this method in Japan. They use half synthetic, half organic fertilizer.

Unfortunately, the militant organic lobby would disagree with that.

I assume by "chemicals" you mean pesticides & fertilizers? Some amount of that is going to be necessary unless you want half your crop to be damaged by pests. And the Earth does not contain an endless supply of nutrients. At some point fertilizers become necessary unless you have the luxury of so much land that you can leave depleted soil untouched for several growing seasons while it recovers naturally. Perhaps some of the actual farmers here can enlighten me on natural options to artificial fertilization.

Two methods:

And for myself, I never bought organic vegetables because they are considered healthier. That's nonsense.

Some taste better, but that's because of another variety.

They only reason for me are the chemical residues in the produce, something you should be aware especially in Thailand.

Hi CLW,

I agree about the best of both worlds and i'm sure that's what every farmer tries to achieve with minimal yield loss.

I'm not sure about the chemical residues in the produce,is this fact or peoples premeditated thoughts.If it is fact the farmers aren't adhering to labels and should not be using them in the first place.

Your studying agriculture,how are they advising you with regards to organic,normal and hydroponics.Good points,bad points,yields v input costs etc.

As little as wind drift from a neighbours field is enough to knock out your "official" organic certification. Being able to provide full organic source documentation is difficult everywhere, impossible in Thailand. What has organic farming become, or rather has become defined as? Too hard is my answer.

Personally I believe that ethical farming is a more appropriate term for today. Farmers should have the choice of inputs but be aware of likely effects those inputs have on their produce, their farmland and the consumer. Surely, maintaining records of and disclosing details of all inputs used is something that could be asked of ALL farmers, not just certified organic ones.

The wheel is turning on the AgChemical giants and if their products are banned, what will the farmer use? Is organic farming doomed? Hopefully the term will be but the real intention will not.

Good post by I/A on the ethics of farming.

It should be standard practice to declare your produce/crop whether it's for domestic or international sales.

I don't think chemicals are going anywhere,when they expire new ones will be developed and the increasing awareness of rotation cropping is helping to control over use.

Organic holds a 1 percent share of the market so even with growth at 10 percent a year it will be another 8-9 years to have a 2 percent stake and that's if the little agra's of greenpeace and hivos who like to control the organic seed market have enough banked for the growth.

Now with the seed growers calling for volunteers to help for free and be charged for this experience i wouldn't like to be in a average growers postion taking into account the amount of hours involved to grow and maintain the produce till selling time.

I believe a reality check is emerging here. Ultimately everyone has to eat, even lobbyists that have never lifted a shovel. I have no influence (or much interest) in feeding the world issues and even less in trying to sort out the black or white "real truths" of farming practice. There simply is no "right thing to do" that can be universally applied.

We live in a profit driven, consumer society where the consumer pays and we are all consumers. What we consume is based on our ability to pay. The only way to increase a market is to make the product more affordable to more people, that is, cut costs. So the question becomes, how does a farmer do that within a shrinking and aging labour pool and current input costs? Make that more challenging given the theme of this thread, how does he do it "organically" on a small holding?

The small existing organic market discussed here is the current answer, the low hanging fruit, markets where price is not an issue. I've done that and it was sustainable even growing, until Bangkok floods again or bankers ruin the financial world selling bad debts again.

A thought comes to mind. Years ago in Switzerland it was decided to put a limit on the level of 'Nitrites' (not Nitrates) in vegetables as this was thought to be possibly cancerogene. I repeatedly pointed out that the region where the highest proportion of vegetables was eaten (Cabbage land as we called it) was also the healthiest in Switzerland judged by longevity, doctor and dentist visits. I was shouted down. A few years ago the limit was quietly removed and nobody said a word.Or died come to that.

A lot of unserious and unscientific nonsense is propagated by the greenies of this world who, as Isaan Aussie states, have never weeded a field by hand for days on end.

The question of biodiversity and pollution is being slowly resolved but I don't see this as part of the organic veg question.

Your studying agriculture,how are they advising you with regards to organic,normal and hydroponics.Good points,bad points,yields v input costs etc.

Okay, I will try to give you some of my impressions on organic farming from my studies. As my course "Tropical Agriculture"

is a very broad topic I don't know so much in detail.

Most professors agree to reduce agricultural chemicals to reduce costs and produce safe food, especially for export.

Anyway some professors from Agronomy (sugar cane, rice, etc.) still do some kind of "old style" teaching with very nasty chemicals

recommendations and the opinion that it is not harmful to the farmer and consumer. But they say you can't do big size farming without chemicals.

I personnally doubt this...

For fertilizer, I can say I have a very good professor in Soil Science, he always recommends a soil test for the properties

and nutrients of the soil. He also is an advocate for "the right crop in the right place". Not everything should be grown

anywhere and anytime with the help of chemicals and fertilizer and after a few seasons the soil is depleted.

He recommends a split 70/30 of synthetic/organic fertilizer and sees the latter more as soil conditioner/impover as carrier of nutrients.

He always talks about the importance of organic matter and proper cultivation (tilling, ploughing) of soil.

I think in this point Thailand needs to improve a lot.

For organic pest control, most professors don't believe in organic ways but there is a rumour that they are paid for research

by agri-chemical companies...

For hydroponics, a good way for producing leafy vegetables or in not arable soil regions. One must be aware of a possible

contamination from heavy metals in the fertilizer. So in doubt don't choose the cheapest stuff.

Also some believe the taste from hydroponic herbs is less intense than soil grown. Maybe...

And they can contain a higher level of nitrate. That is true for some point.

"Personally I believe that ethical farming is a more appropriate term for today." Issan Aussie is so right; It's the terms that are used that can be misunderstood

I like the term "Bio-rational" that is being used more and more.

The terms chemical and pesticide are dirty words and reacted to negatively by many, but everything in our physical universe has a chemical basis, so what chemicals are you talking about? should be better qualified.

BIO-RATIONAL / REDUCED-RISK PEST CONTROL OPTIONS

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE

The most important aspect of plant health care is to improve and maintain growing conditions with intelligent landscape and farm design, compatible plantings, soil and water management, regular inspections, anticipating potential plant problems and utilizing early intervention with bio-rational methods and materials when needed. With intelligent plant management, resistance to pest infestations and disease infections can be enhanced, therefore reducing need for pesticides.

SOME PESTICIDE CATEGORIES

• Synthetic pesticides are manufactured in a laboratory and marketed by a chemical company. Synthetic pesticides are generally grouped into similar chemical classes such as organochlorines, organophosphates, pyrethroids, or carbamates.
  • Natural pesticides like rotenone, pyrethrum, nicotine, and neem extracts are products of living organisms. Often they are chemicals that plants use to protect themselves from parasites and pathogens.
  • Inorganic pesticides like borates, silicates and sulfur, are minerals that are mined from the earth and ground into a fine powder. Some work as poisons and some work by physically interfering with the pest's metabolism, reproduction, and/or feeding.
  • Bio-rational pesticides are those synthetic, organic, or inorganic pesticides that are both low toxicity and exhibit a very low impact on the environment. They also have minimal impact on species for which they are not intended (called non-target species). Bio-rational pesticides include oils, insecticidal soaps, microbials (such as Bacillus thurengienesis and entomopathogenic nematodes), and botanical (plant-based).

Reduced Risk Pesticides, as defined by the US EPA, are those commercially available products that are "viable alternatives to riskier conventional pesticides such as neurotoxins, carcinogens, reproductive and developmental toxicants, and groundwater contaminants."

According to the US EPA reduced risk pesticides offer:

Low impact on human health

Lower toxicity to non-target organisms (birds, fish, plants)

Low potential for groundwater contamination

Low use rates

Low pest resistance potential

Compatibility with Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices

METHODS OF APPLICATION

A bio-rational approach to pest and disease management can utilize reduced risk materials, and also methods of application that reduce applicator and environmental exposure.

Hydraulic spraying of the foliar canopy: Reduced risk pesticides can be sprayed onto the foliar canopy of the tree for a contact kill of a pest, or as a repellent, anti-feedant, reproductive disruptor. Some systemic pesticides can be absorbed through the leaves for translocation through the leaf or throughout the plant tissues, so that when a pest sucks the tree sap or chews the leaves , it ingests the pesticide.

Soil drench and Sub-surface soil Injection: Soil applications use water soluble fertilizers or pesticides applied to the soil surface, or injected with hydraulic equipment below the surface. These systemic materials are then absorbed by tree roots and dispersed throughout the tree through its vascular system.

Trunk (Stem) Injection: Trunk injection is a closed system method which involve drilling into the tree trunk and injecting a pesticide or fertilizer directly into the conductive tissue of the tree where it is taken up and translocated throughout the tissues.

Basal Bark Application with PentraBark: This technique uses a specialized water soluble systemic solution, mixed with a bark penetrating surfactant, sprayed on the tree trunk for absorption through the bark, into the tree conductive tissue.

With intelligent plant management and use of bio-rational methods and materials, soil and plant health can be maintained with minimal use of pesticides and exposure to harmful substances.

"For organic pest control, most professors don't believe in organic ways but there is a rumour that they are paid for research
by agri-chemical companies..."

Of course, and this is much more than a rumor, it is well known that research money, or lack of it, influences what gets studied and what doesn't, and sometimes affects the results. This is a huge factor and this issue permeates so-called "science".

Dr Treelove's post shows that there are alternatives to the toxic overdosing methods and materials used for so long. The Ag Chem companies will have to move towards offering LESS RISKY options in the near future, it's either that or oblivion for them if current awareness grows.

But there will remain the need to make corporate profits and I wonder if the net result will offer any benefit to the smallholding farmer. Hopefully consumer health will benefit and with it society healthcare costs will be reduced. But I doubt the structure of modern agriculture and its supply chain will change much. I suppose the best we can hope for is the gap between conventional agriculture and natural farming produce will close and with it the ridiculous burden of proof and associated certification cost will be lifted from the organic farmer.

Ultimately "independent" testing of marketable produce under a common set of rules would level the playing field. Can't see that being allowed to happen though.

Dr Treelove's post shows that there are alternatives to the toxic overdosing methods and materials used for so long. The Ag Chem companies will have to move towards offering LESS RISKY options in the near future, it's either that or oblivion for them if current awareness grows.

But there will remain the need to make corporate profits and I wonder if the net result will offer any benefit to the smallholding farmer. Hopefully consumer health will benefit and with it society healthcare costs will be reduced. But I doubt the structure of modern agriculture and its supply chain will change much. I suppose the best we can hope for is the gap between conventional agriculture and natural farming produce will close and with it the ridiculous burden of proof and associated certification cost will be lifted from the organic farmer.

Ultimately "independent" testing of marketable produce under a common set of rules would level the playing field. Can't see that being allowed to happen though.

IT IS HAPPENING! And that's what is exciting these days, in the US at least - I know first hand, and I think around the world. . Major ag chemical companies are following the trend and public demand for organic program compatible products, a demand that is huge and cannot be overlooked any more. Organic growing methods are mainstream and not going away, but ever increasing. University IPM programs are growing, and promoting Intelligent Plant Management, considering growing conditions, soil and water management, rather than the old reactionary methods of "got a bug, choose a chemical to kill it". That's why I said the title of this thread is a ridiculous notion. The opposite is happening, through public awareness, laws and regulations that protect the environment and sustainability.

For example, I am currently living and working in Santa Cruz County California where the strawberry industry is huge. In 2006 I attended an organic strawberry production seminar put on by the University of California Cooperative Extension, a UC and County Agricultural Dept collaboration. A lot of the movement toward organic strawberry production is due to new regulations against the use of methyl bromide soil fumigation to control phytophthora root rot. You know Phytophthora as a genus of fungus-like organisms called water molds, common plant pathogens (Irish potato famine of 1840s, avocado root rot, citrus crown rot, sudden oak death). In the organic seminar, methods of crop rotation were discussed that use broccoli and incorporating crop residues from the broccoli crop into the soil, which naturally suppresses phytophthora, reducing the need for harsh chemical treatment. And there is much much more, and new R&D (research and development) of products and methods all the time. This week I am meeting with a compost tea producer who now has a blueberry farm in Watsonville, where he is using strictly organic methods and materials. He sells his actively aerated compost tea (similar to what is called EM, effective micro-organisms in Thailand) to other berry growers for fertigation (irrigation system distributed liquid fertility applications), and his business is booming. Because the market and the money is in the organics, and California's strict pesticide laws are making IPM essential.

In the 1970s I was active in an arborist association in California, and when it was my turn to arrange a speaker for a meeting, I brought in a husband and wife team of biological control experts who were pioneering an IPM project at UC Berkeley. After their talk I was villanized by some of the members whose chemical pesticide spraying business was perceived as challenged by the concept of biological control. I was told that me and my hippie friends should not come back, we were no longer welcome! These were PhD entomologists! Hippie friends? As a contrast and sign of the times, I recently gave a presentation to a Pesticide Applicators Professional Association. The subject was Plant Health Care for Trees and transitioning to less toxic alternatives for pest control, to meet the public demand and ever greater pesticide regulations. My talk was well received, no negative reactions that I know of, and I have gained valuable business associates through this presentation. What a difference 40 years has made, and I've lived to see it!

End of organic farming? I don't think so!

A current crop i have in has had rock phosphate,gypsum and 240ml/rai of gylsophate applied.

Because i've done the right thing and not applied any pesticides is it only fair i can sell this under the semi-organic marketing tool?

This is thailand,how many small holding farmers would have access to a thermometer to test temperatures in a compost pile to make sure

they are not spreading e-coli,salmonella etc and WHO is controling it.

Sometimes i think its all to easy to blame chemical residues for sickness.

So its established organic food is not healthier than conventional,however it is considered more environment friendly.

I may give it a try when it's finally worked out what criteria is actually needed so everyone is on a level

playing field and when all the products associated with growing organic produce are available in local agriculture shops at a competitive price.

And it's going to make the more per rai in my pocket.

The big problem around here is the continual onslaught of field and orchard pests. Dealing with them organically would be great if the cost was comparable. We do what we have to do to ensure a crop and our income.

The last two posts refer to competitive costs and the willingness to move towards a more responsible ethos. To me, that is the attitude needed for farmers to look for a better mouse trap. The playing field will never be even, our consumer society won't allow it. What is happening now is a public move away from the blind acceptance of "stated facts'. If we had enough manure to replace the corporate BS being spread then compost could replace chemical fertilisers completely. For example, and from my first hand experience, commercial bacon labelled as wood smoked, isn't. It has never been near a smoker. It is injected with "liquid smoke", chemical flavouring. Meat products labelled as "Manufactured Meat", products held together with "meat glue". <deleted>?

Any thermometer will measure compost temperatures, 20 baht from the local market, bury it in the pile a few times and experience what 70 degrees feels like. You won't need it soon. Take a trip to the local LDD office and buy a few starter kits of their biofertilisers. Another few baht, very competitive and available.

There are answers already, just keep searching and experimenting guys.

In the meantime if gylsophate is the only workable option you have for the weeds, so be it! To hell with the "well read" theorists, life ain't black or white and the world isn't going to end tomorrow.

Meat products labelled as "Manufactured Meat", products held together with "meat glue". <deleted>?

What's the problem with transglutaminase? Of course when you call it "meat glue" and punctuate your thoughts with an explicative, it naturally evokes a disgust response in the reader. This underscores the ugly side of the organic issue for me. If they could just be honest about the product, I'd feel better. But many people lean towards organic because they're under the impression that the conventional option is somehow unsafe or "icky". "Don't eat that, it has meat glue in it!!" Entire movements are set up to demonize glyphosate simply because it's synthetic, as if that's automatically a bad thing.

TG is a naturally occurring enzyme. We can use enzymes to make cheese and beer, why can't we use them to make useful meat portions out of meat scraps that might otherwise be discarded or relegated to the hotdog factory?

You could just as well call rennet "cheese glue". <deleted>?

Ah, a labeling advocate. No I'm afraid I don't see any point in that. As long as the final products are identical, there's no good reason to call attention to how they were made unless the process involves something illegal such as child labor.

commercial bacon labelled as wood smoked, isn't. It has never been near a smoker. It is injected with "liquid smoke", chemical flavouring.

You realize that actual smoke is also a "chemical flavoring", don't you? Why is one chemical flavoring inherently better or worse than another? The end result is that both products are "smoked". If both processes produce an otherwise identical end product, then why call attention to how they were made?

It is hardly surprising when consumers become distrustful of labels and food in general. Monsanto lied, or at least, withheld the truth about, Roundup for instance. (I use the stuff as necessary myself).

You do get to wonder whatever else we are being lied about. A replacement for the old neonicotinoids (which I also use, no bees left around here anyway) has been developed, https://www.pesticideresearch.com/site/?p=12101 and there is already a petition being circulated to stop this coming onto the market. It really does, on first view, seem to be much less harmful to bees, but this is what happens.

I know Americans that will spend ages reading labels on food stuffs, they won't understand much of what is written there (nobody does) but they do know which substances to knee jerk at.

The 'E' numbers on some European labelling sometimes refers to perfectly harmless, naturally occurring substances but people will refuse to eat food labelled as containing it (rich people, that is). Eg Riboflavin, vitamin B2, which has the honour of being named E101 in Europe.

You do get to wonder whatever else we are being lied about.

There's a fine line between being cautious and letting fear get the better of you. Letting our imaginations run free is more the latter. All companies act in their own best financial interest and this is often seen by detractors as lying by omission. All we need to do is ensure that the necessary legal framework and regulatory oversight is in place so that the public isn't exposed to actual danger.

Just for my own info, what was the alleged Monsanto lie? I like to be as informed as possible when it comes to this company.

Archived