Is dual citizenship in Thailand allowed ?

Hi

Next year I will apply for Thai Citizenship but.

At a party here I meet a Thai man who is married to an American Woman...
She tried to get Thai citizen ship but when it was granted she decided not to have it anyway.
The police told her that Thailand would not allow people to have 2 passports, so she had to give up her US citizenship, which she did not want.

He and I had not been drinking muchbiggrin.png
Have anybody ever heard something like this ?

(Maybe she got denied and just did not want to lose face) tongue.png
wai.gif

I ask because I had a meeting with an officer from Royal Thai police to check if I was qualified.

He told me, that if I get the citizen ship, I had to go to my own embassy and change my citizenship.

(I guess it could also mean that I have to report the new dual citizen ship to my embassy myself :-)

Thanx

wai.gif

Some countries DO have a law of preventing dual Nationalities, and in some cases when taking up another nationality the excisting nationality will be revoked.

Nationality act 2003 Netherlands have a number of excemptions but overall?

Dual nationality in The Netherlands means giving up your Dutch citizens ship except excemptions.

Laos is considered VERY strict and NO way under ANY circumstances will a dual nationality be allowed by Law (nationality act 2004)

Maybe the informal contacts this gentleman is referring on talks about these cases?

whistling.gif There have been a number of posts on this forum in the past by dual Thai and U.S. citizens. holding both countries passports.

As far as I know there is no law requiring a person to give up his or her citizenship in the U.S. or Thailand.

I am aware that other countries do require a person to give up his or her citizenship.

But as far as I know there is no U.S. or Thai law actually requiring them to give up their citizenship to take up the other countries citizenship as a dual citizen.

However, I am not a lawyer so I am not 100% sure of the law.

I'm aware that Thais can have dual citizenship, but does it work the other way around? A foreigner taking up Thai citizenship? That seems to be the issue here. Perhaps it works both ways.

It is the same both ways.

I would say if there were ever an issue, the Thai authorities would rather have natural born Thais pledge allegience to their home country and strip their Thai nationality upon acquiring a foreign one, than the opposite.

However, it doesn't seem to be enforced in either case. I can't imagine the Thai authorities being stricter with naturalized citizens than their own natural born citizens though.

• Like 1

Some countries DO have a law of preventing dual Nationalities, and in some cases when taking up another nationality the excisting nationality will be revoked.

Nationality act 2003 Netherlands have a number of excemptions but overall?

Dual nationality in The Netherlands means giving up your Dutch citizens ship except excemptions.

Laos is considered VERY strict and NO way under ANY circumstances will a dual nationality be allowed by Law (nationality act 2004)

Maybe the informal contacts this gentleman is referring on talks about these cases?

Dual nationality Netherlands-Thailand is no problem at all.

Please do not confuse the issue here.

As some members have stated , it all depends on the officer handling the case , My daughters hold both Thai and British citizenships and for obvious reasons when travelling ,they enter other countries with their British passports but return with their Thai passports, most of the times with no problems until we come across some supervisors who thought they KNOW the law and warn us that my daughters have to choose when they become 21.

When my kids were born, we lived outside Thailand and they immediately got this foreign (my) citizenship and passport.

Later when we moved to Thailand, we applied for a Thai passport for them, which was quite complicated but in the end worked out fine.

No questions asked, ever.

I ask because I had a meeting with an officer from Royal Thai police to check if I was qualified.

He told me, that if I get the citizen ship, I had to go to my own embassy and change my citizenship.

(I guess it could also mean that I have to report the new dual citizen ship to my embassy myself :-)

Thanx

wai.gif

You won't have to report that to your embassy. Thai Special Branch will do it for you.

Yes that is about it - and some countries do have laws preventing dual citizenship.

Having dual nationality is not allowed by any Thai law AFAIK - but there is no law preventing it so many people do have. The same as in USA - dual nationality is not allowed by any laws but there is nothing to prevent so in effect it is allowed.

"Dual Citizenship: The U.S. government allows dual citizenship. United States law recognizes U.S. Dual Citizenship . . . Dual citizenship means that an individual is a citizen of two countries at the same time. It is also possible to be a citizen of three or more countries. However, every country has its own laws regarding dual citizenship. Some countries allow it and others do not, while some countries have no particular laws regarding dual citizenship. Dual citizenship is not something that can be applied for. It is a process that happens when a person becomes a citizen of another country, in addition to his or her country of birth. Dual citizenship occurs automatically for some individuals. For example: a child is born in the United States to foreign parents. In this example this child has U.S. Dual Citizenship since the child is automatically a citizen of the United States and a citizen of its parent's home country. The same applies to children of U.S. citizens born abroad where the child is both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth."

https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual-citizenship.html

I was chatting with a young Thai lady in the immigration que a couple of days ago and she told me her Thai passport had expired and was entering Thailand on her Australian passport.

The lady could have entered using her expired Thai passport !

• Like 2

Yes that is about it - and some countries do have laws preventing dual citizenship.

Having dual nationality is not allowed by any Thai law AFAIK - but there is no law preventing it so many people do have. The same as in USA - dual nationality is not allowed by any laws but there is nothing to prevent so in effect it is allowed.

"Dual Citizenship: The U.S. government allows dual citizenship. United States law recognizes U.S. Dual Citizenship . . . Dual citizenship means that an individual is a citizen of two countries at the same time. It is also possible to be a citizen of three or more countries. However, every country has its own laws regarding dual citizenship. Some countries allow it and others do not, while some countries have no particular laws regarding dual citizenship. Dual citizenship is not something that can be applied for. It is a process that happens when a person becomes a citizen of another country, in addition to his or her country of birth. Dual citizenship occurs automatically for some individuals. For example: a child is born in the United States to foreign parents. In this example this child has U.S. Dual Citizenship since the child is automatically a citizen of the United States and a citizen of its parent's home country. The same applies to children of U.S. citizens born abroad where the child is both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth."

Yes - US allows because there is no valid law to prevent it and they recognize people do have it. But there is no US law that says this.

Yes - US allows because there is no valid law to prevent it and they recognize people do have it. But there is no US law that says this.

Exactly, in 1967 the US Supreme Court abrogated most laws against dual citizenship. https://www.legallanguage.com/legal-articles/dual-citizenship-united-states/

No dual citizenship in Thailand is not allowed. A child may have dual citizenship if one of the parents is foreign born but at 18 must choose. Check with an immigration lawyer.

Absolute nonsense in every respect - people should not confuse Threads with "information" unless they know what they are talking about!

Patrick

• Like 2