Is dual citizenship in Thailand allowed ?

• 5 months later...
On 1/3/2016 at 11:46 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

whistling.gif There have been a number of posts on this forum in the past by dual Thai and U.S. citizens. holding both countries passports.

As far as I know there is no law requiring a person to give up his or her citizenship in the U.S. or Thailand.

I am aware that other countries do require a person to give up his or her citizenship.

But as far as I know there is no U.S. or Thai law actually requiring them to give up their citizenship to take up the other countries citizenship as a dual citizen.

However, I am not a lawyer so I am not 100% sure of the law.

I found this links from US gov website for dual citizenship that may help.   And Thai document that came from Thai embassy but it in Thai.  So summary, U.S. and Thai both not required to give up their citizenship (U.S. and Thai citizenship).  Hope it helps.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

http://thaiembassy.se/wp-content/uploads/3t.pdf

17 hours ago, Joeissimo said:

I found this links from US gov website for dual citizenship that may help.   And Thai document that came from Thai embassy but it in Thai.  So summary, U.S. and Thai both not required to give up their citizenship (U.S. and Thai citizenship).  Hope it helps.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

http://thaiembassy.se/wp-content/uploads/3t.pdf

Interesting.

I'm thinking of getting two passports with different names.

I believe I can do this for 10 years, then when I renee my UK passport, I'll have to change my name so that they are the same.

I've a friend who lives in the US and was fined for having two passports at suwanapoom airport.

Edited by Neeranam

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

then when I renew my UK passport, I'll have to change my name so that they are the same.

And this is not without potential grief, as the following thread, for example, illustrates!

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting.

I'm thinking of getting two passports with different names.

I believe I can do this for 10 years, then when I renee my UK passport, I'll have to change my name so that they are the same.

I've a friend who lives in the US and was fined for having two passports at suwanapoom airport.

Why was he fined?  There is no Thai law against having two passports.  Many Thai VIPs are given second and third Thai passports by the Foreign Ministry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Why was he fined?  There is no Thai law against having two passports.  Many Thai VIPs are given second and third Thai passports by the Foreign Ministry.

Don't know the details. It does seem odd to me. It is a woman.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Don't know the details. It does seem odd to me. It is a woman.

Purely guessing here, but I suspect she was fined for overstay, using the foreign passport to enter Thailand.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, samran said:

Purely guessing here, but I suspect she was fined for overstay, using the foreign passport to enter Thailand.

That seems a likely explanation. I can’t think of any other way you could be fined at the airport in relation to having two passports. But the fine would be for overstaying as a foreigner, not for having two passports.

• Like 1