Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

I have a friend who works in Bangkok who is from California. He says the ONLY thing he misses here is good Mexican food. So, I said I'd put a message here, asking about Mexican Restaurants.

Which is the best?

Thanks,

G

Edited by grtaylor

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken. I should have searched.

However, in an effort to narrow down the huge selection you gave me, I just now searched for "mexican restaurant bangkok" and got the following response:

"The error returned was:

Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show."

I then tried "mexican food bangkok" and got the same result.

Anyway the general concensus seems to be: Senor Pico's, Charley Brown's, and Tia Maria in Bangkok.

Thanks.

G

ain't no such thing as 'good mexican food' outside of East LA so get used to a closest substitute...

someone said that Senor Picos at the Rembrandt was acceptable but I say no...it is junk and a disgrace to mexican cuisine worldwide...Senor Pico is a worldwide chain... there was an outlet near my place in Bahrain...sum folks seem to think that 'fajitas' represent the best that mexican cuisine has to offer...bullshed...never heard of 'fajitas' except in the last 20 years. The test of a restaurant was always how they did their chiles rellenos...

there is large scope for an enterprising individual to set up a GOOD mexican restaurant in BKK, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

there is large scope for an enterprising individual to set up a GOOD mexican restaurant in BKK, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime...
I've always wondered why this is. I'm from Texas, home of the world's favorite variety of Mexican food (and Houston no less, where we invented it), so your opinion and mine on what constitutes good Mexican food will differ, but surely we could all come together on some decent chips and salsa. I am frequently amazed in Thailand that no one can get this right. I freely admit that I haven't eaten everywhere, but I've tried the Mexican at a lot of places - some of them highly recommended - and everything's been (even the chips and salsa) really poor so far. Expats here do so many other cuisines pretty well - I've had great Shwarma at the Lebanese place, pretty decent Italian and Indian, but never Mexican. Maybe one day when I open the bar (a regular bar) that I am forever mentally planning to open I'll see if I can conquer the challenge of chips and salsa in Thailand. I already make better salsa than anything I've had in Asia, so the real challenge is the chips. They'd be a pain in the ass to hand-make, though it could be done, but I have yet to find any truly decent ones (Tia Rosa por vida!) off the shelf in Bangers, so I don't think there's any other option.

On a side note, I used to also miss BBQ being from Texas. Now, the stuff they serve at The Great American Rib Company is a completely different variety than we cook in Texas, but Goddamn it's pretty good. They're friendly guys to boot, met them at their HH location when it was new. Anyway, hats off to Robb and Wes and the guys there who have allowed me to scratch BBQ (real smoked barbecue, not cooked on a grill like the rest of the world thinks is barbecue) off my list of stuff that you can't get an edible version of in Asia.

Edited by on-on

• 5 months later...
ain't no such thing as 'good mexican food' outside of East LA so get used to a closest substitute...

someone said that Senor Picos at the Rembrandt was acceptable but I say no...it is junk and a disgrace to mexican cuisine worldwide...Senor Pico is a worldwide chain... there was an outlet near my place in Bahrain...sum folks seem to think that 'fajitas' represent the best that mexican cuisine has to offer...bullshed...never heard of 'fajitas' except in the last 20 years. The test of a restaurant was always how they did their chiles rellenos...

Actually the food at Tia Maria's is good (and I lived in SE Mexico on and off for a few years, so have some experience). The margaritas are nice too. If only the place wasn't such a dump. It's certainly much tastier food than Coyote's and SenorPico's fast-food style.

The only GOOD Mexican food that I have ever had in Thailand is at Miguel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai. Sometimes the proprietor sweats in your food, but it tastes good and may be more authentic.

Heh :o ! Kinda salty, is it ?

There's a frozen brand, El Chorro, that seems not too bad (though I have to state I am Australian & have little experience of genuine Mexican food.)

Senor Pico, Bangkok, and Senor Paco's, Bahrain, are not related. Nor are they part of a chain.

I'm also from California, and have toured Mexico extensively ...and I sorely miss Mexican food here mucho! A couple places in Chiang Mai are ok (Art Cafe by Tapae Gate - thought their enchiladas were a bit too cheesy last time I tried 'em). I also enjoyed Charlie Brown's near Sukumvit rd BKK - the one time I was there. There's but one place in my town of C.Rai, but it's pricy and quality's not up to snuff.

Mexican cuisine would dovetail well with Thailand - all the basic ingredients are already here. I think the reason Thais can't readily make salsa is they're too quick to put sugar and other unnecessary spices in it. The beauty of real salsa (fresh or cooked) is the taste mix of the natural ingredients. Also, Thais would tend to use medium tomatoes (medium and large tomats in Thailand have little flavor) ...best would be to use organic cherry tomatoes - as they are bursting with flavor and are easier to grow in Thailand's climate. Maybe I'm subjective about cherry tomats, as I just had a bumper crop of cherry tomats - I wound up giving several kilos away to my favorite hill tribe vege vendor who works off the sidewalk (local authorities won't allow her a stall to sell because she's lower class). and yea, I'm off topic.

Senor Pico, Bangkok, and Senor Paco's, Bahrain, are not related. Nor are they part of a chain.

They say they are from Los Angeles. I have eaten there and won't go back.

I stand corrected...Senor Pacos food is crummy as well, hence the confusion...when in Bahrain better to stick to the sidewalk schwarma stands...can't go wrong...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

ive been to tia twice, the second time was only to give it a second chance...there will not be a third.

Tia Maria served the most horrible mexican food I have ever eaten in my life. I couldn't finish it and left to go eat somewhere else.

I can't understand why it is still open.

ive been to tia twice, the second time was only to give it a second chance...there will not be a third.
Tia Maria served the most horrible mexican food I have ever eaten in my life. I couldn't finish it and left to go eat somewhere else. I can't understand why it is still open.

I love Mexican food.

If there's a Mexican restaurant in any area where I go, I'll make the effort to try it.

I've eaten at little cantinas in West Texas and off the food trucks in South Central Los Angeles, as well as more conventional restaurants in many cities.

Tia Maria -- right here in Bangkok -- is one of my all-time favorites.

I just discovered it about 2 months ago.

Since then I've been back four times, and I'm ready to go again: perhaps this evening, before the Songkran madness begins.

I like the food at Tia Maria, because it is home style and fresh, not restaurant style.

The refried beans appear to be mashed by hand, not come from a can.

The enchilada sauce seems home-made, again, not from a can.

The Spanish rice seems to have bits of fresh tomatoes, not dried tomatoes from a food-service package.

The taco shells are crisp and warm and seem to be freshly heated, rather than just taken out of a plastic package.

All of that, and more, is what keeps me returning to Tia Maria.

The flavours and spices are mild by Mexican standards, and that suits me just fine.

But at every meal, five different hot sauces are provided for those who like more heat.

The restaurant itself is un-assuming.

Unlike the more famous Senor Pico in the Rembrandt Hotel, there is no live-band, no fancy plates.

At Tia Maria, the decor is plain, the drinks list unassuming, and the music from a CD.

That's fine with me -- I go for the food.

Tia Maria is in a very awkward location.

Too far to walk from Asoke subway or Phrom Pong skytrain.

Difficult to notice for passing traffic.

And the sign is not large or bright.

So it's a bit of a hide-a-way.

But I'm pleased to have discovered it.

The food is some of the best, home-style, Mexican food I've ever tasted.

If you need more details about how to find the location, you are welcome to send email or PM to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered why this is. I'm from Texas, home of the world's favorite variety of Mexican food (and Houston no less, where we invented it), so your opinion and mine on what constitutes good Mexican food will differ, but surely we could all come together on some decent chips and salsa. I am frequently amazed in Thailand that no one can get this right. I freely admit that I haven't eaten everywhere, but I've tried the Mexican at a lot of places - some of them highly recommended - and everything's been (even the chips and salsa) really poor so far. Expats here do so many other cuisines pretty well - I've had great Shwarma at the Lebanese place, pretty decent Italian and Indian, but never Mexican. Maybe one day when I open the bar (a regular bar) that I am forever mentally planning to open I'll see if I can conquer the challenge of chips and salsa in Thailand. I already make better salsa than anything I've had in Asia, so the real challenge is the chips. They'd be a pain in the ass to hand-make, though it could be done, but I have yet to find any truly decent ones (Tia Rosa por vida!) off the shelf in Bangers, so I don't think there's any other option.

On a side note, I used to also miss BBQ being from Texas. Now, the stuff they serve at The Great American Rib Company is a completely different variety than we cook in Texas, but Goddamn it's pretty good. They're friendly guys to boot, met them at their HH location when it was new. Anyway, hats off to Robb and Wes and the guys there who have allowed me to scratch BBQ (real smoked barbecue, not cooked on a grill like the rest of the world thinks is barbecue) off my list of stuff that you can't get an edible version of in Asia.

JR Texas: Tutsiwarrier, can you say El Fenix? Yes, I am from Texas. The first Tex-Mex was El Fenix in Dallas, not Forth Worth (hummmm I feel an argument coming on). And no, sadly you can't find Mexican food or Tex-Mex in Thailand (I did read somewhere that there is a place in Chiang Mai that might actually be serving Mexican food but I have yet to eat there).

You are from Texas and think that The Great American Rib Company offers people smoked BBQ like back home? I find that hard to believe. You no doubt have a great imagination. The food at TGARC is OK and I am glad they are attempting to make smoked BBQ, but it is not real smoked BBQ like back home in the great nation of TEXAS.

Tutsiwarrier.......are you interesting in making genuine Mexican food and smoked BBQ? I know how to do both...at least Texas versions of both.

JR Texas: Tutsiwarrier, can you say El Fenix? Yes, I am from Texas. The first Tex-Mex was El Fenix in Dallas, not Forth Worth (hummmm I feel an argument coming on). And no, sadly you can't find Mexican food or Tex-Mex in Thailand (I did read somewhere that there is a place in Chiang Mai that might actually be serving Mexican food but I have yet to eat there).

You are from Texas and think that The Great American Rib Company offers people smoked BBQ like back home? I find that hard to believe. You no doubt have a great imagination. The food at TGARC is OK and I am glad they are attempting to make smoked BBQ, but it is not real smoked BBQ like back home in the great nation of TEXAS.

Tutsiwarrier.......are you interesting in making genuine Mexican food and smoked BBQ? I know how to do both...at least Texas versions of both.

JR...you got me confused with on-on who was replying to one of my posts. Other than salsa and guacamole I haven't attempted to make mexican food while out here in the ether...real smoked BBQ requires a specialized apparatus such as what Flint's Ribs have got behind the counter in Oakland, CA...I'll do my ribs in de oven and de chicken on de grill fer de time bein'...

folks may want to try out sunrise tacos just opened on sukh btw 8 & 12 (?) as has been discussed on another thread...sounds like they got the real goods; it'll be my first stop when back in BKK on rotation from camel jockey land...

I like the food at Tia Maria, because it is home style and fresh, not restaurant style.

The refried beans appear to be mashed by hand, not come from a can.

The enchilada sauce seems home-made, again, not from a can.

The Spanish rice seems to have bits of fresh tomatoes, not dried tomatoes from a food-service package.

The taco shells are crisp and warm and seem to be freshly heated, rather than just taken out of a plastic package.

All of that, and more, is what keeps me returning to Tia Maria.

The flavours and spices are mild by Mexican standards, and that suits me just fine.

But at every meal, five different hot sauces are provided for those who like more heat.

Yep, that's what I found too. It's home style and fresh.

The restaurant just badly needs a refurbish.

How far off of Sukhumvit Road is Tia Maria?

It's not in Bangkok but if your ever in Korat go to the Big Chili. They have good Mexican food and Margaritas.

Interesting that wikitravel says Big Chili is in Ubon Ratchathani. I tend to think wikitravel is incorrect on this point, but their information is quoted several times by other web sites. There is an old post here in the Isaan forum that talks about the place being in Korat on Chakkree road and having some of the best Mexican food in Thailand and evidently someone just copied that elsewhere but erroneously attributed it to Ubon and not Korat. Never been to Korat but will have to check the place out if I ever go there.

Miguels in chiang mai is by far the best in thailand....sometimes i think of flying up there for the weekend just to have lunch and dinner...just stay away from the chicken enchiladas....

although i havent tried Bonita Senorita yet...

i just went to sunrise taco....it falls inline with the rest of the places in bangkok.

Miguels in chiang mai is by far the best in thailand....sometimes i think of flying up there for the weekend just to have lunch and dinner...just stay away from the chicken enchiladas....

although i havent tried Bonita Senorita yet...

i just went to sunrise taco....it falls inline with the rest of the places in bangkok.

Not sure what day you went . But if it’s been n the last three days, odds are very high, you have to know your opinion is in the minority, the buzz is like a wild fire these days and its non stop compliments on the food. Were taking Mexicans to Texans to Californians to Europeans to Indians to Asians who come in, some with the mind set, the Mexican food has to be lousy as it’s in Asia and then getting very excited and vocal "that it’s the best since they’ve eaten in Mexico or the States." They sit and order seconds and thirds and fourths. These guys have been our biggest fans and why we have taken off like skyrocket. They tell their friends and they tell their friends. Quite exciting to be part of this…. when people at times, have a hard time getting into our little restaurant because of the crowd but still a great atmosphere with all the customers having fun.

No matter what we do, I know we will never ever please 100% of the people. When researching the best Taco places in the World. No matter who they were would only seem to get 3 positives to every negative.

Our concept is it’s made in front of you and you yourself build your own taco or burrito. This is totally different from any other Mexican Restaurant in Thailand.

I’m still looking to improve, what did you feel in your opinion, made us like all the rest in Bangkok? The way I see it you either love the concept or hate it, but to be like the rest that would be hard as our concept and food is totally different. I would think the other Mexican restaurants would say the same; the soft corn taco or burrito you get at Sunrise is not the same as found in Mexican restaurants in Bangkok. For some they will like their burrito better, many others will like ours.

I ate at Miguels in CM, and found the food to be good but it had a couple negatives. I wanted to order a crispy corn taco or even a soft corn taco, they only offer flour tortillas. I ordered a Margarita and it was served out of a pitcher in the fridge into an ice tea glass. That is fine for some. Other customers however would be jumping up and down. For my money, Dukes is the best in CM. But thats only my taste buds, others will like Miguels better. Thank God, we have choices.

Greg Lange

Owner of Sunrise Tacos

www.sunrisetacos.com

I am a big Duke's fan, but their Mexican food is "Iowa" style. :D Something like your mother would make from a recipe in Good Housekeeping Magazine.

Miquel's is REAL, 100% California style Mexican food and that is what most of us are looking for.

MIQUEL'S ROCKS! :o

i went yesterday at 12pm, sunday...i think the younger girl wearing the black shirt, should get some type of extra benefit..she looked really tired...and took control when the older stumpier worker couldnt comprehend that i wanted 3 tacos with different fillings....she is a hard worker.

i realize that people have different opinions about mexican food especially in LOS, thats why i had refrained from making any comments....but

heres my background, i am from houston, texas where i lived on mexican food as well as worked at a mexican restaraunt through highschool, i am 34 now.

i wont make any other comments, as i respect new businesses and try not to say anything negative.....all i have to say is, work on the size of the portions a bit and study what the traditional ingredients are, because a few were clearly missing.....and the toppins were way to thin, not like the in store picturs at all.

a good restaraunt is a good restaraunt, regardless of style....a texan can be converted to californian taste and vice versa....if its good its good.

that being said, if you make the tacos bigger you will have another repeat customer....or make it 4 for 137 baht instead of 3....or just up the ingredients, to resemble the picture.

heres one i took home to experiment with some chili sauce (original order was 3 assorted)

s5001349tf2.jpg

not like the picture in the restaurant.

i went yesterday at 12pm, sunday...i think the younger girl wearing the black shirt, should get some type of extra benefit..she looked really tired...and took control when the older stumpier worker couldnt comprehend that i wanted 3 tacos with different fillings....she is a hard worker.

i realize that people have different opinions about mexican food especially in LOS, thats why i had refrained from making any comments....but

heres my background, i am from houston, texas where i lived on mexican food as well as worked at a mexican restaraunt through highschool, i am 34 now.

i wont make any other comments, as i respect new businesses and try not to say anything negative.....all i have to say is, work on the size of the portions a bit and study what the traditional ingredients are, because a few were clearly missing.....and the toppins were way to thin, not like the in store picturs at all.

a good restaraunt is a good restaraunt, regardless of style....a texan can be converted to californian taste and vice versa....if its good its good.

that being said, if you make the tacos bigger you will have another repeat customer....or make it 4 for 137 baht instead of 3....or just up the ingredients, to resemble the picture.

heres one i took home to experiment with some chili sauce (original order was 3 assorted)

s5001349tf2.jpg

not like the picture in the restaurant.

You decide on what you want on the taco. You want more lettuce, please ask for more. You want more jalapenos or onions, just ask for more. You want more sour cream or cheese ( choice of one topping of cheese or sour cream) Whatever that choice is, just ask for more. The same as the salsa. No extra charge for that choice. All of these choices are free with your meat with your taco. You are paying max 134 Baht for three tacos. That’s 45 Baht each. Almost 50% cheaper than the cheapest taco in Bangkok which is 80 Baht and you want me to offer more of a discount? If you buy 10, it's 36.9 Baht for each taco

As for the picture, don’t think I ever saw such a sick taco coming out of our place unless someone said I want just lettuce and meat. I’ve seen 100’s of tacos the last two days for customers and none looked like this unless someone wanted it naked.

By the way, the girl you are talking about is Khun May and yes she is a trooper. She was tired, as she had been working double shift, when we had three people call in sick. That’s the life of being in the restaurant business and yes she was paid double time. If you there at 12 p.m. you had to see me, as I was there as well.

Greg