Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

it is your choice if you do not decide to give more value for money....

regarding my order she asked me what i wantedd on it...i told her everything, but with sour cream, no cheese.....everything consisted of thin meat,thin salsa, thin sour cream, jalapenos and lettuce....i did not specify lettuce only.

i dont know what to tell you man, i ordered it with everything and this is what i got....maybe the time i was there was around 11:30am -12:30 pm Sunday...around that time as i didnt think i my arrival time would be questioned.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know what to tell you man, i ordered it with everything and this is what i got....maybe the time i was there was around 11:30am -12:30 pm Sunday...around that time as i didnt think i my arrival time would be questioned.
The reason, I asked I was trying to place you. I was there all day Sunday from 10 a.m till after midnight. The only person I remember before noon that day was a Mexican Lady with her Western husband and family. Did you see the family? By the way, the Mexican Lady stated" The food was excellent and we were the best in Thailand." Very happy when hearing that, as her business card states she is a caterer in authentic Mexican cooking. Ironically the third Mexican who has told us “the food is very good.”

As for the portions, if you think it’s thin. Ask for more. This is a good sign as it shows you like the food. If it was bad, you could care less, what size portion you got.

Lets just state it was a misunderstanding and now you know. The staff has been trained to give more (within reason), when someone wants more of an item at no additional charge.

tried it yesterday. 3 assorted Tacos.

Very delicious and the owner was on premises, making sure everything was OK.

Service was good, the place bright and clean.

..and no Montazumas Revenge the next morning. Nice!

Thanks for the comments. Thanks for stopping by Skipper.

www.sunrisetacos.com

you were not there when i went and i did not see any people there...there were three workers when i went there, and the workers were complaining about someone calling in sick....in thai

one of your workers themselves said the tacos were small...in thai

I dont think that mexican lady has ever been to Miguel's in Chiang Mai, which in my opinion (i am entitled to my opinion arent i?) is the best in Thailand , hands down...

I will try your place again, to see if the portions have gotten any better....I really dont think anyone is going to say to your face that they do not like the food, that would be impolite.

My review, bottom line: I got the burrito, which was a pretty good sized burrito and tasted above average for BKK. The staff was good, had no problems and they made no mistakes.

Pros: the location is fantastic, as the miracle mile between Soi 4 and Soi 23 desperately needs more reasonably priced Western food options. The salsa selection was good, I regret not getting something more interesting than the plain salsa, though I will rectify that next time. The burrito shell was good. The choice to have black beans was very welcome. I liked that you watch your food being prepared and direct what and how much of the toppings go in (like at Subway). The taste was above average, though adding some hot sauce kicked it up a lot. Owner was affable enough and concerned about the experience (you would think this would be a given, but some owners act as if they are doing you a favor).

Cons: the place is small, there is only counter seating (or a couple of seats outside). Though initially cheap, adding extra meat or chicken, cheese (or sour cream, as you can only choose one) and especially guacamole will run your cost up fast.

For next time:

I will try a margarita, the prices and selection looked good. I will try a spicier salsa.

you were not there when i went and i did not see any people there...there were three workers when i went there, and the workers were complaining about someone calling in sick....in thai

one of your workers themselves said the tacos were small...in thai

I dont think that mexican lady has ever been to Miguel's in Chiang Mai, which in my opinion (i am entitled to my opinion arent i?) is the best in Thailand , hands down...

I will try your place again, to see if the portions have gotten any better....I really dont think anyone is going to say to your face that they do not like the food, that would be impolite.

Don't think in the past month, one day has gone by that I've not been at the store at least 12 hours a day. Perhaps I made a fast hop to the store when you were there. But I know for a fact the Mexican Lady was there around noon and I was there as well.

Not my first rodeo in the restaurant business. I know that people will not want to be rude. In the few cases, when I hear "good" or "Ok" I probe much deeper what was wrong and how we can improve. “Good” in my book means something is wrong. I need “terrific” “The best", "excellent", “Perfect”, "Very good" or "orgasm sounding noises" as indications they liked my food. That and what is left on the plate.

I’ve been showing your picture of the taco to my regular customers. The reaction normally is of laughter as they have never seen the taco from my place look like that either. Like I said lets call it a misunderstanding because it certainly has to be an isolated case for a Sunrise taco to ever look like that. I'm proud to say, most all tacos being served look better than the pictures on the wall!

Furbie,

Thanks for stopping by and your review. You can make your burrito a "Giant" with over 18 ounces of great food ( 1/2 Kilo) for an additional 69 Baht We weigh it in front of you for the "Wow". If you like both sour cream and cheese, the cost is an additional 29 Baht. Guacamole is 69 Baht. Everything else comes with the burrito... jalapenos, chopped onions, salsa, one choice of dairy( cheese or sour cream) choice of red or black beans, choice of gourmet filling and Spicy Rice. This nine ounce burritos range from 109 Baht to 134 Baht.

Seating is a issue sometimes and not easily addressed.

Right now we have Sour Apple, Pineapple, Mango, Lime and Blueberry Margaritas. The price is very low at 79 Baht net for a 200 ml glass. One liter Pitcher or giant Margarita by the Yard Glass is 399 Baht. You get to keep the giant by'the yard glass after enjoying your margarita. Prices are around 50% less than most all margaritas in town and we still try to offer the best taste as well. Some certainly feel we have met that goal.

Once again. Glad you like the burrito and hope to see you again.

Regards

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

there is large scope for an enterprising individual to set up a GOOD mexican restaurant in BKK, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime...

I've always wondered why this is. I'm from Texas, home of the world's favorite variety of Mexican food (and Houston no less, where we invented it), so your opinion and mine on what constitutes good Mexican food will differ, but surely we could all come together on some decent chips and salsa. I am frequently amazed in Thailand that no one can get this right. I freely admit that I haven't eaten everywhere, but I've tried the Mexican at a lot of places - some of them highly recommended - and everything's been (even the chips and salsa) really poor so far. Expats here do so many other cuisines pretty well - I've had great Shwarma at the Lebanese place, pretty decent Italian and Indian, but never Mexican. Maybe one day when I open the bar (a regular bar) that I am forever mentally planning to open I'll see if I can conquer the challenge of chips and salsa in Thailand. I already make better salsa than anything I've had in Asia, so the real challenge is the chips. They'd be a pain in the ass to hand-make, though it could be done, but I have yet to find any truly decent ones (Tia Rosa por vida!) off the shelf in Bangers, so I don't think there's any other option.

On a side note, I used to also miss BBQ being from Texas. Now, the stuff they serve at The Great American Rib Company is a completely different variety than we cook in Texas, but Goddamn it's pretty good. They're friendly guys to boot, met them at their HH location when it was new. Anyway, hats off to Robb and Wes and the guys there who have allowed me to scratch BBQ (real smoked barbecue, not cooked on a grill like the rest of the world thinks is barbecue) off my list of stuff that you can't get an edible version of in Asia.

So far, for Mexican, there's Senor Pico's, Charley Brown's, Patty's Fiesta, El Gordo, Sunrise Tacos, Coyote, Que Pasa - all in Bangkok. In Pattaya, there's the Blue Parrot and Tequila Reef. That's all I know.

For bbq, there's Bob's in Pattaya, as well as The Great American Rib Co. In Bangkok, there's The Great Amweican Rob Co., Tony Roma's and Roadhouse. There's also a Great American Rib Co. in Hua Hin.

Of course, you know of some of these already.

But I truly think that you'll enjoy BBQ Sandwich King when the first branch is opened in Bangkok later this year, from what I've heard.

So far, for Mexican, there's Senor Pico's, Charley Brown's, Patty's Fiesta, El Gordo, Sunrise Tacos, Coyote, Que Pasa - all in Bangkok. In Pattaya, there's the Blue Parrot and Tequila Reef. That's all I know.

Don't forget Miguel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai.

Beats the rest hands down for Mexican food!

Edited by Ulysses G.

And "Taco Loco", opened yesterday on the ground floor of J-City, by Sala Daeng BTS station.

wheres that? Jcity avenue thong lor ???

No, adjacent to the Thaniya Plaza, right by Sala Daeng BTS station on Silom Road.

Go out of exit 1, and take a right just after the KFC and you'll find yourself in the J-City complex. Taco Loco is towards the back, pas the Oishi reestaurant and opposite the Lebanese restaurant (which is also pretty good by the way - Oishi is absolutely rank though).

I was eating at the Lebanese restaurant yesterday as Taco Loco was having its grand opening, the food looked pretty good but I was full of that wonderful Lebanese chicken. But what was interesting to me was that I actually saw what I believe to be A REAL MEXICAN PERSON supervising the workers. I'm from southern California and pretty good at spotting a latino, and this guy certainly wasn't Thai. May bode well for this place. Waiting to hear from some others about the food.

(edited for spelling, my downfall)

Edited by popshirt

went today at 1:11pm, (for those who see it as an important thing)...but the food wasnt ready yet so i had curry across the street since i was starving, everything smelled right though....i think he's half thai or a thai in a past mexican situation...

dude looks like vin diesel...

99 baht gets you 1 taco, drink and 1 side...and its a big taco

75 baht for 1 BIG taco

and they have refried beans and mexican rice too.

tacos

burritos

nachos

refried beans

rice

and some other things i cant remember.

for those who dont know the location, and it is kinda hard to spot the first time....its the open air food court to the left of kfc, to the backleft of the foodcourt....on the same side of the road as thaniya...between patpong and thaniya....the blue sony sign is across the street...

dude looks like vin diesel...

Yeah, that's it, I knew he looked like someone I'd seen before!

Anyway, went today and the food was pretty good. Not as good as Sunrise Tacos, I'd say, but it's significantly cheaper. The burrito I bought for 75 Baht was enough to fill me up; almost (but not quite) as big as the extra large ones you get at Sunrise for more than twice the price. Food wasn't quite as tasty and wholesome though (but still good) and you can't construct your own - you just get a standard burrito made to order. They took a while to serve me too, but all staff were very friendly and courteous.

Given the price and the very close proximity to my place of work I think I'll be back. But if Sunrise had a branch next door I'd probably go there instead, apart from the days when I felt like saving those extra Baht...

Here is yet another vote for Sunrise.

I was there for supper tonight.

My first time.

The food was so good, I took home some carryout for lunch tomorrow. _ :bah:

But it didn't last that long.

All gone now. _ :D

For you Mexican food fans, I will start with one observation which you'll appreciate.

They make their own tortillas.

You can see them doing it, on the counter behind the food line.

They have a real tortilla press and they heat the fresh tortillas on a griddle.

Got the picture?

The owner said they grind their own corn masa.

I didn't see it, but I believe it.

Where else in Thailand do you get honest, fresh, home-made, tortillas?

Yes, I met Greg, the owner.

He politely introduced himself, and his wife, and "May" the waitress mentioned in previous posts here.

Greg carefully explained how the menu worked -- you order exactly what you want at steps 1-2-3.

I never got attention like that at any restaurant "back home".

There all we got was, "welcome_ta_taco_time_take_ya_orda_pleezz".

I ordered three crispy tacos with ground beef.

For 117 baht it is an amazingly good value.

They are not the biggest tacos in the world.

For that price they couldn't be.

If you want more food, order more food.

I did.

The ground beef was a suitable amount for the size of the taco.

The lettuce was fresh and crisp.

I ordered cheese AND sour cream AND guacamole, and didn't hesitate to pay a few baht for extras. _ :bah:

But the salsa choice was difficult.

That involved a four-way consultation among myself, the owner, his wife, and waitress "May".

I decided on the mango salsa, and a delicious choice that turned out to be.

I did have one taco with the ordinary, fresh tomato salsa.

That was pleasant, and I would have been satisfied, IF I had not tasted the mango salsa.

Next time I will order extra mango salsa, perhaps an extra liter as a side dish. _ :o

On the subject of portion size, this is a fast-food place, with fast-food prices.

Only a fool would expect huge portions at those prices. _ :D

The value at Sunrise is in the quality, not the quantity.

Next time, if I'm really hungry, I'll just order another order of something.

I took home an order of Carne Asada -- marinated, grilled steak.

It was far better quality of steak than I expected at that price: 169 baht.

It comes with beans and rice and salsa and chips.

I also took home an order of guacamole and more chips.

The guacamole is definitely homemade and obviously mashed by hand.

So many places serve a tasteless green goop and try to pass it off as guacamole.

At Sunrise it's honest avocados.

99 baht for a small, but reasonable, portion.

The items I tasted at Sunrise were full of flavor, but not full of hot chilis.

That's exactly the way I like it.

Those who require lots of hot chilis might be disappointed.

Perhaps the red hot salsa will help, I don't know.

Sunrise is easy find:

BTS skytrain to Asoke, trundle down the steps, and you're almost there.

Exit BTS-Asoke, on the South side, nearest the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit hotel.

Walk about 50 meters West -- pass Times Square shopping center -- to the parking lot in front of "Leader Price" store.

Sunrise is on the East side, your left side as you walk toward Leader Price, opposite side of the parking lot from Pizza Company.

MRT subway station is Sukhumvit, right on the corner of Asoke.

But once you get there, don't expect much in the way of atmosphere.

It is fast food style, not fine dining.

For eating, there is a thin counter along the window, with about 8 chairs.

That's it.

This is not the place to dine and linger.

You eat and leave, or you order and take away.

In the past, I've enjoyed Mexican food from Charlie Brown's.

I've certainly enjoyed Tia Maria many times.

I've sampled -- but not enjoyed -- Senor Picos. _ :D

But for the quality and the value for the money, Sunrise has now taken over my first-choice spot for Mexican in Bangkok.

I just hope they can maintain the quality. _ :D

So many new, home-style places start off great ...

But, then, little by little, they trim something here, cut back something there, and within a few months, well, it's time to look for somewhere else.

Sunrise is off to a great start.

I'll watch carefully to see if they can maintain their lead.

Edited by Mr_Dave

My first time.

For you Mexican food fans, I will start with one observation which you'll appreciate.

Got the picture?

He politely introduced himself, and his wife, and "May" the waitress mentioned in previous posts here.

Greg carefully explained how the menu worked -- you order exactly what you want at steps 1-2-3.

I did.

I ordered cheese AND sour cream AND guacamole, and didn't hesitate to pay a few baht for extras. _ :bah:

That involved a four-way consultation among myself, the owner, his wife, and waitress "May".

That was pleasant, and I would have been satisfied, IF I had not tasted the mango salsa.

Next time I will order extra mango salsa, perhaps an extra liter as a side dish. _ :o

On the subject of portion size, this is a fast-food place, with fast-food prices.

So many places serve a tasteless green goop and try to pass it off as guacamole.

Sunrise is easy find:

Walk about 50 meters West -- pass Times Square shopping center -- to the parking lot in front of "Leader Price" store.

Sunrise is on the East side, your left side as you walk toward Leader Price, opposite side of the parking lot from Pizza Company.

That's it.

But for the quality and the value for the money, Sunrise has now taken over my first-choice spot for Mexican in Bangkok.

But, then, little by little, they trim something here, cut back something there, and within a few months, well, it's time to look for somewhere else.

You may wanna post your thoughts here too...

Went to Taco Loco on Silom today. Great guys from California. Good prices, generous portions, well above average taste-wise, friendly, clean joint. They don't have a super-duper hot sauce though. Opens late too. Nice thing is that it's in a food-court so if you have friends that don't want to eat fast-Cali-Mexican, there are plenty of other options.

My first time.

Got the picture?

I did.

Sunrise is easy find:

That's it.

Thank you for sharing.

I love the Mango Salsa as well, could eat it for dinner by itself. :-)

As long as I'm alive, the quality will be maintained. You are right, the reason why a number of restaurants become two month wonders is they let the standards dip and they work less. Not going to happen on my watch, I have too much passion and love of food to let it slip.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Mr. Greg,

I will be visiting within the next few weeks. Looking forward to it. Your attitude about food quality and focus on customer satisfaction is wonderful. Wishing you much success and eventual expansion to Pattaya, etc. I wonder if there is some way for you to get the word out to the Thai language press, or at least the Bangkok Post, so they might do a food review? I would like to see appreciation for good Mexican food to be promoted to Thai people. So many think they don't like it, yet don't know what it is from trying bad examples.

Edited by Jingthing

Had some very good tacos at the Food Loft, Central Chitlom yesterday.

The Cucina will only be operating there till the end of the month. They are caterers and have a demo kitchen set up this month.

Very tasty.

Tomorrw, I try the shop on Silom.

Foodland, by the way, carries tortillas, salsas, cheese so easy to make it at home too.

Went to Taco Loco on Silom today. Great guys from California. Good prices, generous portions, well above average taste-wise, friendly, clean joint. They don't have a super-duper hot sauce though. Opens late too. Nice thing is that it's in a food-court so if you have friends that don't want to eat fast-Cali-Mexican, there are plenty of other options.

Where on Silom?

Actually went to Taco Loco as well yesterday as I was having a meeting on Silom with a friend who knows one of the owners.

The 2 guys are half Thai and grew up in California but have been here many times. One of the 2 is an actor (like myself and the friend I had a meeting with) on Thai tv.

The Taco's were good at 55 baht a piece (or 99 for 2, 139 for 3), although sunrise taco's one are a bit better. There is no choice there as to what condiments you get. Still the price/quality comparison is very good imho (I would rate sunrise as excellent in price/quality comparison). If you are on Silom it is a good place to eat. They are accross from the Beirut Lebanese restaurant (also a good place to eat!!) and in the same building as the Subways on Silom. So that is 3 nice places to eat in one building.

Waerth