Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JR Great stuff. Your spelling needs work.

POBLANO Jalapeno

But I'll bet there are quite a few people interested. I would get a hold of Doug at Bourbon Street & I'll bet John at Eurogormet would also buy some. You might have a tidy little income from it.

Any chance you could could grow habanero peppers?

Thanks

The actual Mexican words require a fancy addition that I don't have.

I am sure I can get the seeds for just about any pepper.......whether the Thai govt. will allow them into the country and let me grow them is another matter. It might be worth exploring.

When I try Mexican food in Thailand I never "smell it." By that I mean it never smells like Mexican food. The reason is that they are not using the proper ingredients.......Mexican food is not easy to make...takes skill.

But, if I grow it, they may just come.

There's a new Mexican Place in the Khao San Road area on Rambuttri that I have checked out and is worth a visit. It is called Mexican Tartars and it is on the end of Rambuttri by a Pizza Company and 7-11.

It is a small place, but has a good atmosphere and the prices are good for what you get....79 Baht for a margarita or one of a long list of other cocktails and 3 tacos run you about 150 Baht. I talked with the owners who are a pretty cool couple and they get their shells from a mexican lady in town. The menu isn't as extensive as some of the other places in town, but their food is fresh and they do what they do well including a decent Guac.

They have also started doing daily specials including Margarita Mondays and Teacher Tuesdays. They are a great choice if you are out in that part of town as they are open 24 hours and an awesome choice after a solid night out. Plus they have a fully stocked bar that doesn't seem to shut down.

I definitely recommend stopping by. For the vegetarians out there they can also make any dish veggie style.

Oh yeah, and for all you other tequila fans out there they have a half decent selection to choose from.....6 or 7 options.

I agree about Mexican Tartars. Good food and their 24 hour service is great. Tacos, burritos, nachos, and guac are all tasty and at a good price, and you can customize each order taqueria style. Great option for the Khao San area, so much of the foreign food there is mediocre and over priced.

POBLANO Jalapeno

But I'll bet there are quite a few people interested. I would get a hold of Doug at Bourbon Street & I'll bet John at Eurogormet would also buy some. You might have a tidy little income from it.

Thanks

Just wanted to follow up on the idea of growing peppers for Mexican food.......an "expert" told me that there are four essential peppers in Mexican cooking. I would like input from a genuine expert on this:

Poblano (when dried becomes ancho)

Jalapeno (when dried becomes chipotle)

Chilaca (when dried becomes pasilla)

Manzano (when dried becomes cascabel)

The expert told me that these are the peppers she would grow..........one of you suggested habanero peppers.......she said that habanero peppers are very hot and that the Thai Dragon pepper would likely be a very good substitute.

OK.......there you have it. Are these the peppers we need in Thailand to make some great food?

I would say yes. I would add the Serrano for its heat, which I have seen sold at Tops. A personal favorite of mine is the Onza Roja from Oaxaca, but this may be a bit exotic for your needs and the Serrano can be a substitute for it.

Habaneros are primarily used in Caribbean cooking, but are used in the nearby Yucatan.

chili encyclopedia

POBLANO Jalapeno

Thanks

Just wanted to follow up on the idea of growing peppers for Mexican food.......an "expert" told me that there are four essential peppers in Mexican cooking. I would like input from a genuine expert on this:

The expert told me that these are the peppers she would grow..........one of you suggested habanero peppers.......she said that habanero peppers are very hot and that the Thai Dragon pepper would likely be a very good substitute.

OK.......there you have it. Are these the peppers we need in Thailand to make some great food?

I'd say you could do get by reasonably well with a selection of poblanos, serranos, and jalapenos, along with the Thai phrik chee fah , which is rather similar to chile de arbol, which is used both fresh and dried in Mexico.

One correction, the chipotle is a smoked (and dried) jalapeno. The best are smoked over fires made with jalapeno foliage. I would imagine you can find canned chipotles in adobo sauce somewhere in Bangkok; many Mexicans used canned chipotles as well.

POBLANO Jalapeno

Thanks

I'd say you could do get by reasonably well with a selection of poblanos, serranos, and jalapenos, along with the Thai phrik chee fah is rather similar to chile de arbol, which is used both fresh and dried in Mexico.

One correction, the chipotle is a smoked (and dried) jalapeno. The best are smoked over fires made with jalapeno foliage. I would imagine you can find canned chipotles in adobo sauce somewhere in Bangkok; many Mexicans used canned chipotles as well.

Thanks for the input on "Mexican peppers." I might do it in the future, but must find the seeds. Some of my relatives back in Texas should be able to get them and send them to me.

Hello J R Texas, they are fun to grow and are good eaten too. The start to 3 Rai of Ancho's.

rice555

Where did you get the pablano seeds......will you sun dry the pablano to make ancho or smoke them? I think it takes about 75 days from seed to harvest....right?

I really miss Mexican food in Thailand.......especially chili rellenos (stuffed, roasted pablano) with ancho sauce.........tamale..........too many others.

Hello J R Texas, they are fun to grow and are good eaten too. The start to 3 Rai of Ancho's.

rice555

You mean poblano, right?

Hello sabaijai, I have two 1-OZ seed(4,000) packs from 2 different seed companies, they use only the 'A' word, not the 'P' word on the packs.

At the end of the growing cycle you have an Ancho, thats what is being sold, not an unripe fruit. If you want to pick early, thats your choice and the fruit then goes by Pobiano.

rice555

Where did you get the pablano seeds......will you sun dry the pablano to make ancho or smoke them? I think it takes about 75 days from seed to harvest....right?

I really miss Mexican food in Thailand.......especially chili rellenos (stuffed, roasted pablano) with ancho sauce.........tamale..........too many others.

Hello J R Texas, a friend gave them to me in Pattaya.

A Pablano is a green unripe Ancho chili, Ancho's are 'RED' when ripe and usually dried. They can be whole pod or ground into powder.

It's 75+ days for Ancho's after transplanting. The number of days given on tomato, eggplant and chilli/pepper's is always after transplanting, not from seed. The picture in my first post are 2-day after sprouting, it's a bitch with the rain's and no greenhouse.

rice555

In Mexico they call it chile poblano when fresh, chile ancho when dried, and that's usually how chile fanatics in the USA define them as well. Maybe the seed packets are marketing those seeds as a variety intended to be dried after harvesting?

http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=3

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/chili.html#var

In Mexico they call it chile poblano when fresh, chile ancho when dried, and that's usually how chile fanatics in the USA define them as well. Maybe the seed packets are marketing those seeds as a variety intended to be dried after harvesting?

http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=3

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/chili.html#var

Seems odd they would not sell "poblano seeds" instead of "ancho seeds." Of course, no matter whether they are called poblano or ancho seeds, you end up with a pablano plant and the poblano peppers can be dried/dehydrated to form the ancho peppers.

So, looks like we have the answer to chile relleno w/ ancho sauce..........now, about tamales.

Thailand has so much corn......but it is nearly impossible to find dried corn that has not been sprayed with chemical pesticides and who knows what else. All we need is good, dried corn and tamales can be made along with fresh corn tortillas........any idea on where to get dried corn?

Hello sabaijai, be them either 'P' or 'A', the fact remains my seed packs 'Ancho' and 'Ancho Grande', it doesn't say if dried, it says 'P' if picked green.What is it when picked red, when ripe?

You can see by the seed info blurbs that some also say 'A/P' and nobody says the same thing!

The big seed growers/breeders list them as "Ancho Type", this is not the seed co's that just sale seed and put their own info blurb and some say 'P'. My post was not a typo, it was what was on the seed pack, what do I know.

I just typed what it has printed on the package and is listed in the seed info below.

I could be wrong about when it changes names, but my seed packs, #1 says Ancho, #2 says Ancho Grande.

If you want to check more seed co's, here is 2 links that cover over 90+% of US and Mex. seed co's.

What can I say, 25 years in San Jose and only know nid noy Spanish, can't roll my 'R's anyways. Sue em for false advertising.

rice555

http://www.seedquest.com/whitepages/americas/usa/default.htm

http://www.seedquest.com/whitepages/americas/mexico/a.htm

Ancho - 76 to 80 Days. (Hot)Medium sized upright plant produces high quality 5 to 6 inch fruit. Dark green turing red-mahogany color when mature. Moderate pungency. Excellent for fresh market, processing, or drying. Variety is called Poblano when picked green. Good for making rellanos.

(Pkt. $1.00) (1/4 oz. $2.00)

Ancho 101 #9480 (30 seeds) $2.25

When fresh and still green, these mildly hot, heart-shaped peppers are stuffed and made into chiles rellenos. When mature they are dark, rust red, richly flavored, and often dried and ground into chili powder. Peppers become 4 inches long, tapering to a blunt point. Wrinkled skin takes on even more character when dried. May be strung into long ropes or made into wreaths.. 76 to 80 days.

Ancho San Luis #9272 (30 seeds) $2.30

High quality, uniform heart -shaped peppers are dark green, maturing to red, then mahogany. Mildly pungent peppers, 1,500 to 4,500 Scoville units, are 6 inches long and 3 inches wide. They are used fresh, but are also excellent for drying because the fruit is so uniform in size and shape. 76 to 80 days

Ancho San Martin Hybrid #9030 (30 seeds) $3.65

Large size, early maturity, and great production are what make this ancho pepper distinctive. Thick-fleshed peppers mature to 5-1/2 inches long and 3-1/2 inches wide, making them perfect for stuffing into chiles rellenos, as well as useful for roasting or drying. 75 days.

Ancho 211 (F1)

(Capsicum annuum)

Productive, most authentic tasting ancho we have trialed.

Heart-shaped, thinner-walled fruits are moderately pungent and turn from black-green to red. Mini: 30 seeds.

Days to Maturity or Bloom: 68 days green, 88 days red ripe.

Price/Quantity

$3.95 100 Seeds

$10.25 250 Seeds

$18.90 500 Seeds

$34.00 1,000 Seeds

$63.50 5,000 Seeds

$267.00 25,000 Seeds Backorder date 09/10/08

Ancho Magnifico Pepper

70 days. ¡Que rico! Your chili rellenos will be the talk of the neighborhood! The largest ancho in our trials, these fruit are thick-walled, turn from green to bright red, and possess a classic poblano flavor. Plants produce high yields of 4 1/2-6 1/2 inch long peppers that are one of the earliest anchos on the market. Also available as a plant.

25 seeds

$3.25

PP678/P

100 seeds

$7.35

PP678/B

500 seeds

$23.95

Ancho/Poblano Chile Pepper

Capiscum annuum

30-36" Tender Annual

One of the most popular chiles in Mexico. Mildly hot 4-6 in. fruits are widely used for making chile rellenos and mole. Dark green skin turns red when ripe. Known as Poblano when fresh. Ancho when dried. Bushy, extremely productive plants.

Anchos/Poblanos

Also known as poblanos when the peppers are still green, anchos are a mainstay in many popular Southwestern recipes. They are large enough for stuffing and become “anchos” when they turn brick-red and are fully dry.

Pepper

Hot

Ancho Grande

4000 seeds/oz

Capsicum annuum

76 days. Called Poblano when green. Peppers are 4 inches long by 2½ inches across at the shoulder, tapering to a blunt point. Ripens from dark green to rust red. Plants are 30 to 36 inches high. A medium hot chile. Continuous harvest.

PP673/B

500 seeds

$24.25

Hot, Ancho - ANCHO ARRIERO F1

Early, large size with concentrated set.

Hot, Ancho - HUIZACHE (HMX 6662)

Early high yield of excellent quality pods

Strong, early plant

Fruit turns red, excellent for drying

Large, heavy fruit

Dark green, glossy

Suitable for warmer conditions

HOT PEPPERS

Long Pepper-Hybrid

w Early Ancho F1

w Hy Cayenne F1

w Jala Mex F1

w Magic F1

w Maxi-Jala F1

w Red Top F1

w Red Chilli F1

w Wonder Hot F1

Long Pepper-Open Pollinated

w Anaheim M

w Ancho Supremo

w Cayenne

Supreme F1 Ancho 70–75 Dark Green 6–7 in 2 Veins Tobamo

A new generation ancho with greater tolerance/resistance and the highest quality fruit.

San Ardo F1 Ancho 75–80 Dark Green to Red 6.5x3.5 in 2 Veins

Tobamo

Fruit are very large with excellent color.

Hello J R Texas, read the reply to sabaijai about the 'A' thing. I like my rellenos made from NuMex chilies with more heat like the Sandia, and will try Barker Hot(30,000 SVU) this year.

Do you know what type of corn your looking for? There's more than pop and sweet you know.

We use to talk about Mexico over spraying in the US. But not to worry, LOS doesn't grow the right corn, but maybe my Oaxacan green dent corn seed will, no? I would be more worried about produce from China more than here, todays B-P had another CN baby formula incident.

At the Suk Soi 2 Villa store back a few years, a lady was selling tamales and other Mexican dishes on the R/H side by the freezer cases(before remodeling) , for Thailand, they were very good. One company had an add in N.Cal. that "Tuesday is Red's Tamoles Day",(late 50's-60's), but nothing like the small homemade ones.

The pix is some of spice today.

rice555

post-37242-1221039942_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello sabaijai, be them either 'P' or 'A', the fact remains my seed packs 'Ancho' and 'Ancho Grande', it doesn't say if dried, it says 'P' if picked green.What is it when picked red, when ripe?

You can see by the seed info blurbs that some also say 'A/P' and nobody says the same thing!

The big seed growers/breeders list them as "Ancho Type", this is not the seed co's that just sale seed and put their own info blurb and some say 'P'. My post was not a typo, it was what was on the seed pack, what do I know.

I just typed what it has printed on the package and is listed in the seed info below.

I could be wrong about when it changes names, but my seed packs, #1 says Ancho, #2 says Ancho Grande.

If you want to check more seed co's, here is 2 links that cover over 90+% of US and Mex. seed co's.

What can I say, 25 years in San Jose and only know nid noy Spanish, can't roll my 'R's anyways. Sue em for false advertising.

rice555

http://www.seedquest.com/whitepages/americas/usa/default.htm

http://www.seedquest.com/whitepages/americas/mexico/a.htm

Ancho - 76 to 80 Days. (Hot)Medium sized upright plant produces high quality 5 to 6 inch fruit. Dark green turing red-mahogany color when mature. Moderate pungency. Excellent for fresh market, processing, or drying. Variety is called Poblano when picked green. Good for making rellanos.

(Pkt. $1.00) (1/4 oz. $2.00)

Ancho 101 #9480 (30 seeds) $2.25

When fresh and still green, these mildly hot, heart-shaped peppers are stuffed and made into chiles rellenos. When mature they are dark, rust red, richly flavored, and often dried and ground into chili powder. Peppers become 4 inches long, tapering to a blunt point. Wrinkled skin takes on even more character when dried. May be strung into long ropes or made into wreaths.. 76 to 80 days.

Ancho San Luis #9272 (30 seeds) $2.30

High quality, uniform heart -shaped peppers are dark green, maturing to red, then mahogany. Mildly pungent peppers, 1,500 to 4,500 Scoville units, are 6 inches long and 3 inches wide. They are used fresh, but are also excellent for drying because the fruit is so uniform in size and shape. 76 to 80 days

Ancho San Martin Hybrid #9030 (30 seeds) $3.65

Large size, early maturity, and great production are what make this ancho pepper distinctive. Thick-fleshed peppers mature to 5-1/2 inches long and 3-1/2 inches wide, making them perfect for stuffing into chiles rellenos, as well as useful for roasting or drying. 75 days.

Ancho 211 (F1)

(Capsicum annuum)

Productive, most authentic tasting ancho we have trialed.

Heart-shaped, thinner-walled fruits are moderately pungent and turn from black-green to red. Mini: 30 seeds.

Days to Maturity or Bloom: 68 days green, 88 days red ripe.

Price/Quantity

$3.95 100 Seeds

$10.25 250 Seeds

$18.90 500 Seeds

$34.00 1,000 Seeds

$63.50 5,000 Seeds

$267.00 25,000 Seeds Backorder date 09/10/08

Ancho Magnifico Pepper

70 days. ¡Que rico! Your chili rellenos will be the talk of the neighborhood! The largest ancho in our trials, these fruit are thick-walled, turn from green to bright red, and possess a classic poblano flavor. Plants produce high yields of 4 1/2-6 1/2 inch long peppers that are one of the earliest anchos on the market. Also available as a plant.

25 seeds

$3.25

PP678/P

100 seeds

$7.35

PP678/B

500 seeds

$23.95

Ancho/Poblano Chile Pepper

Capiscum annuum

30-36" Tender Annual

One of the most popular chiles in Mexico. Mildly hot 4-6 in. fruits are widely used for making chile rellenos and mole. Dark green skin turns red when ripe. Known as Poblano when fresh. Ancho when dried. Bushy, extremely productive plants.

Anchos/Poblanos

Also known as poblanos when the peppers are still green, anchos are a mainstay in many popular Southwestern recipes. They are large enough for stuffing and become “anchos” when they turn brick-red and are fully dry.

Pepper

Hot

Ancho Grande

4000 seeds/oz

Capsicum annuum

76 days. Called Poblano when green. Peppers are 4 inches long by 2½ inches across at the shoulder, tapering to a blunt point. Ripens from dark green to rust red. Plants are 30 to 36 inches high. A medium hot chile. Continuous harvest.

PP673/B

500 seeds

$24.25

Hot, Ancho - ANCHO ARRIERO F1

Early, large size with concentrated set.

Hot, Ancho - HUIZACHE (HMX 6662)

Early high yield of excellent quality pods

Strong, early plant

Fruit turns red, excellent for drying

Large, heavy fruit

Dark green, glossy

Suitable for warmer conditions

HOT PEPPERS

Long Pepper-Hybrid

w Early Ancho F1

w Hy Cayenne F1

w Jala Mex F1

w Magic F1

w Maxi-Jala F1

w Red Top F1

w Red Chilli F1

w Wonder Hot F1

Long Pepper-Open Pollinated

w Anaheim M

w Ancho Supremo

w Cayenne

Supreme F1 Ancho 70–75 Dark Green 6–7 in 2 Veins Tobamo

A new generation ancho with greater tolerance/resistance and the highest quality fruit.

San Ardo F1 Ancho 75–80 Dark Green to Red 6.5x3.5 in 2 Veins

Tobamo

Fruit are very large with excellent color.

Obviously the seed packs are labelled in English so I'm assuming these are US-grown seeds, and perhaps that's what they call them in America. In Mexico only the dried ripe poblano is called ancho. 'Ancho' means 'wide' and they only get that way after flattened and dried.

Hello J R Texas, read the reply to sabaijai about the 'A' thing. I like my rellenos made from NuMex chilies with more heat like the Sandia, and will try Barker Hot(30,000 SVU) this year.

Do you know what type of corn your looking for? There's more than pop and sweet you know.

We use to talk about Mexico over spraying in the US. But not to worry, LOS doesn't grow the right corn, but maybe my Oaxacan green dent corn seed will, no? I would be more worried about produce from China more than here, todays B-P had another CN baby formula incident.

At the Suk Soi 2 Villa store back a few years, a lady was selling tamales and other Mexican dishes on the R/H side by the freezer cases(before remodeling) , for Thailand, they were very good. One company had an add in N.Cal. that "Tuesday is Red's Tamoles Day",(late 50's-60's), but nothing like the small homemade ones.

The pix is some of spice today.

rice555

Hi.......been away from the internet for a bit. The only thing I know about palano and ancho is that in Texas Latinos, to the best of my knowledge, call the green, ripe form pablano.......it is mostly the green form that is dried to make ancho, not the red form. But, I am sure some people both eat the red form and dry it too.

Having said that, I have no idea what type of corn I want. I want to make tamales.........I want to make cornbread........I want to make corn tortillas. Thailand has so much corn and it looks great..........what I can't get is the dried corn that is fit to eat........they dry it but use it for planting and it has pesticides all over it.

With all due respect... every time this thread gets bumped I read, but I am not the least bit interested in poblanos or anchos and basically it's a bit off topic - perhaps Sabaijai would be so kind as to split these posts off into a new thread?

You're making me hungry... :o Thanks...

Something like.... Mexican chile farming in LOS???

This thread is about good Mexican food in Thailand.......some of us are convinced there is no good Mexican food in Thailand and have come to the conclusion that the problem is the lack of authentic ingredients, especially the essential peppers.

We just wanted to discuss it and then it will likely be dropped and the people who want to tell us all how fantastic the Mexican food is in Thailand can have their say again.

I myself like Sunrise at Soi 12 and eat there regularly for the food.... But I can vouch for what Dotcom reported above...since we ate together that day.

My order, stock off the menu without any changes or adds, came out fine. His order, which involved some paid extras, came out without them. And when he asked the staff to remedy the problems, they didn't do so in any way.

I mean, for example, it's pretty easy and unmistakable to see if sour cream has been added to the inside of a beef burrito or not... He paid extra for it, but sure didn't get any inside his burrito... That was very obvious to see. And when he asked the waiter about it, the waiter's only response was, it's already inside -- when it was easy to see as I also did, there was nothing creamy/white there at all.

About the flies... dunno what to say about that... That day/afternoon, there indeed was quite a flock buzzing around the inside of the restaurant. Never myself noticed that as a problem before. Maybe somebody had left one of the doors open earlier in the day. Again, I can vouch for Dotcom's report about that...at least for that afternoon.