Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

Sunrise is great and i got the "Giant" burrito for extra 69 baht where the burrito is bigger and you get double meat.

However, you choose either sour cream or cheese. If you want both sour cream AND cheese, Sunrise charges an extra 29 baht.

My constructive comment:

1) If the customer is already going for the Giant, can Sunrise waive the 29 baht charge for cheese/sour cream?

2) The Giant comes out to (134 + 69) about 203 Baht. I think they'd greatly raise sales if they psychologize the Giant's price to 199 Baht all in.

Mike

Edited by junkofdavid2

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunrise is great and i got the "Giant" burrito for extra 69 baht where the burrito is bigger and you get double meat.

However, you choose either sour cream or cheese. If you want both sour cream AND cheese, Sunrise charges an extra 29 baht.

My constructive comment:

1) If the customer is already going for the Giant, can Sunrise waive the 29 baht charge for cheese/sour cream?

2) The Giant comes out to (134 + 69) about 203 Baht. I think they'd greatly raise sales if they psychologize the Giant's price to 199 Baht all in.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your comments. Waiving the 29 Baht charge would not be a problem as with the giant, you would be getting double portion of either the sour cream or cheese. In this case, you could get the regular portion of sour cream and normal portion of cheese, with no extra charge.

You have seen me in there many times, keep up the good work but will not comment yet on quality as it generally takes 5-6 months for a restuarant to hit its stride
Thanks for visiting us. Looking forward to your review in 6 months.
Mr. Greg,

I will be visiting within the next few weeks. Looking forward to it. Your attitude about food quality and focus on customer satisfaction is wonderful. Wishing you much success and eventual expansion to Pattaya, etc. I wonder if there is some way for you to get the word out to the Thai language press, or at least the Bangkok Post, so they might do a food review? I would like to see appreciation for good Mexican food to be promoted to Thai people. So many think they don't like it, yet don't know what it is from trying bad examples.

Bangkok Post yesterday, called and said they will be doing a review. Thank you for your comments and please say "HI" if I'm in the shop.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Hi all,

I 2nd Sunrise Tacos. I'm half Mexican, half American and can say they probably have the best Mexican Food in town, although I consider all other Mexican resturants in Bangkok middle of the road at best. However, the food at Sunrise is good and the price is right. They have something good going and I think they will make it. They also have an easy to get to location and open 24/7. I could really see people going there after going out to The Bed or Q-Bar to eat. I was very happy to see a taco place like this open up with decent Mexican food. God knows I need it after living here for 4 years. The smell is great when you walk in too, smells like home.

David

Hi all,

I 2nd Sunrise Tacos. I'm half Mexican, half American and can say they probably have the best Mexican Food in town, although I consider all other Mexican resturants in Bangkok middle of the road at best. However, the food at Sunrise is good and the price is right. They have something good going and I think they will make it. They also have an easy to get to location and open 24/7. I could really see people going there after going out to The Bed or Q-Bar to eat. I was very happy to see a taco place like this open up with decent Mexican food. God knows I need it after living here for 4 years. The smell is great when you walk in too, smells like home.

David

David,

Thank you for your thoughts. All comments mean a lot to us, but even more if it is coming from a person with a Mexican heritage. We firmly believe at Sunrise Tacos if we can keep this group happy than the odds are higher all nationalities will enjoy our food as well.

I love the smell of freshly cooked corn tortillas as well. Alot more work than buying shells from a bag but well worth it when you get the big smile of someone who is very happy.

Regards,

Greg Lange

www.sunrisetacos.com

Went to Taco Loco for the second time today, very good! Owned by two 1/2 Thai guys from California and actually they prepare the food, also make the salsa and refried beans in house. It is in J City mall on the street level in the back, exit from Sala Daeng Sky Train as if going to Patpong,(as if any of us do) and there it is, if driving, there is a parking lot down the alley next to the Family Mart (maybe B30/hr).

Basic food, Tacos,Burritos and Quesadillas, meats are ground beef or pork and chicken. It is in the food court so plenty of seating but also about a 6 stool bar.

The guys make the food right there and you can get what you ask for, no extra charge as far as I can see or experienced, I like less rice and more cheese in my burrito, have to pay extra at, well, you know.

As stated salsa is homemade but they do have some hot stuff in the back, more is on the way courtesy of a mother or grandmother so will be available soon, both are good and better mixed in my humble opinion.

Tortillas are from Danita's, why reinvent the wheel and make your own? The topper I had was the Double Decker taco, which is where they take a soft warmed flour tortilla, spread it with refried beans, wrap that around a hard corn tortilla and then fill it, you have to try to believe. I prefer refried beans in my Mexican food.

One of the guys grew up in East Los Angeles so needed no research on the subject, the other is from N. Calif so understands as well. Simple Mexican taco stand food is not brain surgery, just do it right, they do.

The two LK's (Luk Kruengs) are also very nice and personable and a good and interesting chat.

Good start for them and will be interesting to see them vs. Sunrise, I hope they both bloom!

Edited by jEFFREYk44

There are no good Mexican restaurants in Thailand. This is about the best Tex Mex fix you can get.Tex Mex Menu

:o

Rubbish. When in Chiang Mai try Miguels. You WILL be surprised. :D

When in CM near Miguels. hel_l’s Kitchen Afro American Style Bar-B-Que, 70/19 Chaiyaphum Road, T. Chang Moi, Muang Chiang Mai. Open every day from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. Open until midnight after June 1. Telephone 053-232-195, 04-732-7159. Take out and delivery in the neighborhood available. Proceed on Chaiyaphum Road. Just after Miguel’s Mexican Restaurant, you will see a cross walk and stop light. A small parking area will be on your left, in front of a new shopping mall. Walk into the shopping mall past the Black Canyon Coffee shop, and you will spot hel_l’s Kitchen at the rear on your right. Not easy the first time, but well worth the adventure.

:D

My second time to Sunrise -- lunch today.

I'm still looking for something big to complain about there

I like to complain.

Can't find anything, yet.

Ordered 3 crispy tacos -- assorted:

1 ground beef, 1 barbacoa beef, 1 chicken.

All those taco fillings I liked a lot.

A few more baht to order assorted like that, but not enough to even mention.

Would do it that way again.

Cheese only this time, instead of sour cream.

Frankly, the sour cream has very little flavor.

It's not bad, but it doesn't have much taste.

I've tried the sour cream at Bourbon Street's Mexican buffet.

Same there, too.

Today at Sunrise, I added a side order of guacamole and chips, and a side of the magnificent mango salsa.

The guac' is delicious -- fresh and homemade -- but it's a very small serving: only about 4 bites and it's gone.

The mango salsa is even more delicious and you get more for the money.

I like seeing the food being made right behind the counter.

You can see it's fresh and you can see everything is very clean.

This is the new standard for Mexican in Bangkok.

I'll be back.

Tortillas are from Danita's, why reinvent the wheel and make your own?
Mediocre manufactured tortillas are a significant flaw in many Mexican restaurants. It may be a flaw that many diners won’t recognize, since they’ve never had anything but bagged tortillas. But, when we serve fresh, handmade tortillas, customers know or learn to appreciate the difference.

Recipes are always changed by chefs, that individual expression is fine. However, the tortilla is basic. It's the first thing your mouth tastes. In my opinion, it's either "homemade and fresh" or it's a Frisbee. The difference between fresh and store/factory bought is clear: our tortillas are made with L-O-V-E.

Opening a bag of tortillas from a store always brings back the days of biology class dissecting a frog in formaldehyde. Looking at the side of the bag, I can see the reason why I get that memory, it has thiamin mononiytate, riboflavin, folic acid,, niacin, soldium aluminum sulfate, calcium sulfate, monocalcium phosphate, monoglycerides, fumaric acid and L-cysteine hydrocholoride with the bleached enriched flour.

Compare this to a flour tortilla we make at Sunrise Tacos, we use all purpose flour, baking powder, water, salt and Crisco vegetable shortening (very low trans fats.)

As for the corn tortillas from a factory, you are looking at this one place that makes taco shells....niacin, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid with corn flour.

Sunrise Tacos corn tacos are made with 100% ground corn and a touch of salt, that’s it. When you open the door to our restaurant at Sunrise, you can smell the 100% ground corn freshly cooked tortilla. There is nothing quite like it.

Is it easier to buy the tortilla at a factory? Absolutely. However, open a package of tortillas from a factory and then understand why I rather close the Sunrise Tacos restaurant than ever serve factory tortillas to our customers.

Fortunately many of our customers know the difference and their smile is why I love being at my restaurant.

Good start for them and will be interesting to see them vs. Sunrise, I hope they both bloom!

A week or son ago, a poster sent me a PM “warning” me a competitor was opening. I really was then and am still quite happy. The more Mexican restaurants in BKk, it’s more of a chance for the public to get introduced to Mexican cooking. I wish them the very best.

By the way, word to the wise. You like more cheese for your choice. Just ask for " more cheese please’ Please don't say the word "extra cheese" That’s a 10 Baht word for a taco to the employees. "More please" and you will get more with no extra charge.

www.sunrisetacos.com

My second time to Sunrise -- lunch today.

I'm still looking for something big to complain about there

I like to complain.

Can't find anything, yet.

Ordered 3 crispy tacos -- assorted:

1 ground beef, 1 barbacoa beef, 1 chicken.

All those taco fillings I liked a lot.

A few more baht to order assorted like that, but not enough to even mention.

Would do it that way again.

Cheese only this time, instead of sour cream.

Frankly, the sour cream has very little flavor.

It's not bad, but it doesn't have much taste.

I've tried the sour cream at Bourbon Street's Mexican buffet.

Same there, too.

Today at Sunrise, I added a side order of guacamole and chips, and a side of the magnificent mango salsa.

The guac' is delicious -- fresh and homemade -- but it's a very small serving: only about 4 bites and it's gone.

The mango salsa is even more delicious and you get more for the money.

I like seeing the food being made right behind the counter.

You can see it's fresh and you can see everything is very clean.

This is the new standard for Mexican in Bangkok.

I'll be back.

Thanks for stopping by.

Others are like you Mr_Dave. They warn me when they come in. I'm a very tough critic as all Mexican Restaurants in Bangkok are no good. They seem to be our biggest fans after eating at our Mexican Taco Shop. A very famous local author the other day, came in with that warning" Mexican sucks in Thailand. Everyone of them. I have tried them all" his exact words. Very happy when he took one bite and said " Now that’s perfect" He could not stop talking how great our food was.

I'll look into the sour cream. Thinking of adding a lime base to it with cilantro.

The avocados are imported from Australia. Wish we could give a bigger portion. We don’t do any short cuts with mayonnaise, sour cream, soybean filler etc. so you get the real McCoy. Still will see if we can give a bit more and still be ok on the bottom line.

Thank you very much for your comments.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Sunrise is excellent. Really like their high quality fillings and freshly made taco shells and burritos. But yes, the staff can be quick to charge a pretty significant "extra" if you ask for more of anything, which is why i suggested that for the Giant (which I ordered), the customer should be allowed to have both sour cream and cheese and not only one of them (they were gona whop me for an extra 29 baht). It's great that they have pickled jalapenos, but the staff attending to me put extremely little and I just wasn't in the mood to "pressure" her to put more as she had already wanted to charge me extra for the cheese (which I opted not to get coz of the extra 29 baht).

Taco Loco. I tried it and it was very good, and about half the price of Sunrise. Sunrise was still better overall, but Taco Loco was still definitely good. Similar to what a previous poster said, you feel that the two Ameri-Thai guys are so focused on making the customer happy that they aren't as "quick to charge extra" as the Sunrise staff (but of course they will if you ask for too much!). They also have this double decker taco. Nope, it's not double fillings or anything like that.. but it's a double shell. The outer shell is soft and the inner one is crispy. This is great. Why? Because we all like hard crispy shell tacos, but we usually don't order it because it's messy. But with their double decker taco, you get to eat the crispy taco which doesn't "break all over you" because it's retained inside the outer soft taco. I also particularly like Taco Loco's super hot sauce (apparently available only upon request).

My verdict.

If I want a really super good taco and that night I'm willing to treat myself and spend (a lot!!!), then I'll go to Sunrise (with all the "extras" I'd like, Sunrise will probably charge me 250 baht including drink). If I want a very good taco and am on my usual daily food budget, then I'll go to Taco Loco and spend about 120 baht including drink.

I'd say Sunrise is about 85% to 90% more expensive but 35% to 40% better.

(That's not necessarily a negative comment, and may even be good; as Godiva chocolates are about 60% better than Hersheys but 500% more expensive. People who are willing to pay for luxury/quality don't do a "proportional" percentage analysis of quality and price. They are willing to pay a lot more for even just a little more quality.)

Ergo: As a Mexican food fan, I'll probably go to Sunrise for a great treat once a month and probably go to Taco Loco once or even twice a week (and incorporate it as part of my routine but delicious meals in a week)

Note: I don't think the two of them are actually "competition", because:

1) They're in different parts of town!!! (At least for now.)

2) It's like comparing Garage burger (in All Season's Place) with McDonalds. Garage burger I go once a month for a "gourmet" burger "treat", and McDonalds I go weekly for reasonably priced good quality American burgers as part of my usual (good) meals. (Yeah, I know some of you hate McDs, but I'm a self confessed McDonalds fan!!!)

Wish success to both of them!

Mike

Edited by junkofdavid2

the customer should be allowed to have both sour cream and cheese and not only one of them (they were gona whop me for an extra 29 baht).

Last time I had a giant burrito as Sunrise I had sour cream and cheese at no extra cost - and in fact, I didn't even think about asking for this but it was suggested by the staff and I thought it was a good idea and went for it.

Pretty much agree with your assessment and comparison of Loco and Sunrise by the way. And I'm a fan of that double decker too!

I tried Garage but ordered Meat Loaf the first time, had one of those bogus hot dogs cooked in it, not comfort food in the least

Back to Mexican:

Mike, you failed to mention that at Taco Loco there are refried beans between the flour and corn tortilla, keeps them together like one shell

Both are the best in Bkk, just apples and oranges

Edited by jEFFREYk44

Sunrise is excellent. Really like their high quality fillings and freshly made taco shells and burritos.
Thanks.
But yes, the staff can be quick to charge a pretty significant "extra" if you ask for more of anything, which is why i suggested that for the Giant (which I ordered), the customer should be allowed to have both sour cream and cheese and not only one of them (they were gona whop me for an extra 29 baht). It's great that they have pickled jalapenos, but the staff attending to me put extremely little and I just wasn't in the mood to "pressure" her to put more as she had already wanted to charge me extra for the cheese (which I opted not to get coz of the extra 29 baht).

We have now a order form system. Just put "more" on what ever you want more of. We only charge extra for two items... if you take both cheese and sour cream. Then its 10 Baht for a taco, 29 Baht for a burrito( unless you get the giant) and if you get the guacamole. Anything else is included in the price.

If I'm around, I'm a pretty generous guy and gave lots of free items yesterday. In fact that happens everyday when I'm there. However the staff don't have the same executive powers except for two mgrs. ( Jo Jo and Dee)

By the way, you also can get three burritos for 299 Baht ( 99 Baht each) or ten tacos for 369 Baht( 37 Baht each) Any combination.

If I want a really super good taco and that night I'm willing to treat myself and spend (a lot!!!), then I'll go to Sunrise (with all the "extras" I'd like, Sunrise will probably charge me 250 baht including drink). If I want a very good taco and am on my usual daily food budget, then I'll go to Taco Loco and spend about 120 baht including drink.

Not trying to defend our price. As you stated we don't have to. Just trying to understand other prices.

Our most expensive three tacos go for 134 Baht which is the Steak or Barbacoa Beef. Add 30 Baht if you took both the sour cream and cheese on all three tacos. Heineken is 49 Baht.

If you are talking the giant burrito. Then its 18 ounces of food for around 200 Baht.

I'd say Sunrise is about 85% to 90% more expensive but 35% to 40% better.

Not sure how on the more expensive of 85% -90%.

We should be around the same price or lower if you still get the lettuce, choice of salsa, jalapenos, onions, tomatoes and one choice of sour cream or cheese. This is included for the 39 Baht taco. Ground Beef or Chicken option of three tacos is 117 Baht.

Still compared to 280 Baht for two tacos at a number of Mexican restaurants in town, on price we still look pretty good.

Then on margaritas for a one liter pitcher its 399 Baht compared to 780 Baht + at most places. Get the margarita by the yard and you get to keep the glass. No Vat or service charge as well. I'm proud of the low prices we charge for our quality. Just trying to understand other prices. Thanks.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Hi Greg (over there at Sunrise)

Firstly, ay definitely look forward tae chomping away on one of yir tasty Tacos like, the next time ay cum plodding intae Bangkok.

But, when i checked oot this website of yirs ay wisnae tae impressed by that model chick on it. Ay mean, she looks like she got a bad case a acne, which doesnae say tae much aboot yir food like.

Anyway, ay seriously recommend that yous go and find another lass tae pose fir yir website. At least one that doesnae look like she's gotta blob a sour cream in her eye.

Fir awe this advice am givin like, ay dae hope that Sunrise will be givin me a free burito.

Edited by stevesuphan

If you use a little imagination, all the ingredients to make perfectly good Mexican food are available non-imported right here in Thailand -- including spices. You can easily forego the tortillas and guacamole. Most Mexicans eat their corn tortillas on the side -- restaurants serve them in a covered steamer. I make arroz con pollo, huevos rancheros, carnitas, carne asada, frijoles, salsa fresca, etc. I don't even have a kitchen -- just an electric Hanabishi wok and an Otto suki pan from BigC -- and I have Mexican food regularly...for peanuts.

Not sure how on the more expensive of 85% -90%.

We should be around the same price or lower if you still get the lettuce, choice of salsa, jalapenos, onions, tomatoes and one choice of sour cream or cheese. This is included for the 39 Baht taco. Ground Beef or Chicken option of three tacos is 117 Baht.

www.sunrisetacos.com

That's because their regular taco and burrito are almost as big as Sunrise's giants.

But like I said, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Sunrise shouldn't try to be like them and they shouldn't try to be like Sunrise. Same theme but different products; both great for different purpose.

That new form is a good idea. It saves the customer the trouble of arguing with the staff if they want more of something.

Firstly, ay definitely look forward tae chomping away on one of yir tasty Tacos like, the next time ay cum plodding intae Bangkok.

But, when i checked oot this website of yirs ay wisnae tae impressed by that model chick on it. Ay mean, she looks like she got a bad case a acne, which doesnae say tae much aboot yir food like.

Anyway, ay seriously recommend that yous go and find another lass tae pose fir yir website. At least one that doesnae look like she's gotta blob a sour cream in her eye.

Fir awe this advice am givin like, ay dae hope that Sunrise will be givin me a free burito.

Peach is a great gal. I know a number of men find her attractive. Different looks for different folks.

www.sunrisetacos.com

If you use a little imagination, all the ingredients to make perfectly good Mexican food are available non-imported right here in Thailand -- including spices. You can easily forego the tortillas and guacamole. Most Mexicans eat their corn tortillas on the side -- restaurants serve them in a covered steamer. I make arroz con pollo, huevos rancheros, carnitas, carne asada, frijoles, salsa fresca, etc. I don't even have a kitchen -- just an electric Hanabishi wok and an Otto suki pan from BigC -- and I have Mexican food regularly...for peanuts.

Yeah, sure, but most of us can't be bothered!

May a 1000 Sunrise Tacos bloom all over Thailand, and many competitors as well, and while we are it, lets bring over some more Mexican people to spice things up even more.

Greg,

One comment about your menu. Either delete the "Three Tacos" option for your Chicken and Ground Beef Tacos, or reduce the price. Right now it costs exactly three times the single taco price for those items. One of my petpeeves about restaurants is "specials", "combos", "sets" or whatever that are nothing more than individual items grouped together and no discount given. Many customers see the combo and never bother to do the math to calculate what if anything they're saving and just blindly order it thinking they're getting a bargain. Whereas I always do the math and if I find that there is no savings it's usually enough to turn me off permanently on that restaurant as I consider it to be a serious insult to my intelligence. Anyways no offense at your pricing structure right now being I know you're just starting out.

I like Peach. I think she's Hot.

Greg,

One comment about your menu. Either delete the "Three Tacos" option for your Chicken and Ground Beef Tacos, or reduce the price. Right now it costs exactly three times the single taco price for those items. One of my petpeeves about restaurants is "specials", "combos", "sets" or whatever that are nothing more than individual items grouped together and no discount given. Many customers see the combo and never bother to do the math to calculate what if anything they're saving and just blindly order it thinking they're getting a bargain. Whereas I always do the math and if I find that there is no savings it's usually enough to turn me off permanently on that restaurant as I consider it to be a serious insult to my intelligence. Anyways no offense at your pricing structure right now being I know you're just starting out.

I did not do the math while there, but this is also a pet peeve of mine. One place actually had the combo as MORE expensive than ordering separately. A combo or deal should come with a price break or free item.

I dropped by Sunrise for a quick lunch today. Very good. I drove my car, and the parking is VERY convenient as it is a small plaza/mall with free parking directly outside the shop.

By the way, if driving, another convenient place is Coyote on Convent. You can park directly behind it and also get parking validation. Personally, I very much like Coyote, and used to eat at their Hong Kong original location when I lived there.

Re Mr. Jingthing's 'Most of us can't be bothered':

By Kate Nash

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Gov. Bill Richardson started today in Las Vegas, Nev., with some Mexican food.

He was set to have breakfast with the group Hispanics in Politics at Do¤a Maria's Restaurant, according to his presidential campaign.

Pity Richardson. On a diet - and used to eating good New Mexican food at home.

Maybe he can get some tips to do his own cooking, however, at his next event today. He was set to hold a forum with members of the Culinary Workers Local 226.

© 2007 The Albuquerque Tribune

So JT can't be bothered -- BR can.

Greg,

I'm sorry for the confusion. Because it’s a pet peeve of mine as well on specials, etc.

But no where is it written or should be interpreted it’s a combo deal or promotion or special deal or whatever for 3 tacos. The price is the price as it’s the standard menu under “Your choice". Most everybody gets at least three tacos. The only reason we have the single taco option is some people like varieties, we then offer that.

It so happens that if someone does order 3 carntias tacos they save 20 baht, barbacoa they save 15 baht, steak they save 15 Baht and on Grilled Veggies they save 9 Baht. When I was making the menu I could not make the price higher for "Your Choice" than what the single taco promotion of 39 Baht was for the chicken or ground beef.

The net margin still did not increase enough on just three Grilled Chicken tacos to make it lower for the standard menu. The price was already discounted and three chicken or ground beef tacos did not allow a discount on a discount. If anything the price should be around 123 Baht for three tacos but it couldn’t be there because of the price for one taco being 39 Baht. Hence it’s 117 Baht.

If someone wants to save money, they go with the combo promotion of 10 tacos for 369 Baht. With that promo they can save anywhere from 30 Baht for chicken or ground beef to savings of 130 Baht for barbacoa or carne asada. That is the combo deal/promotion which it’s listed under. By the way three burritos are 299 Baht and you can save from 28 Baht to 103 Baht on this combo.

Hope this clarifies any misunderstanding on the combo promotion at Sunrise Tacos.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I dropped by Sunrise for a quick lunch today. Very good. I drove my car, and the parking is VERY convenient as it is a small plaza/mall with free parking directly outside the shop.

Thank you for stopping by Sunrise Tacos. You get two hours free parking and a number of customers take advantage of it.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Miguels? Good? Give me a break.............

dont believe what the reviews say i found it terrible

Why Salsa Kitchen in Chiang Mais "Hells half acre" on Rathvithi Rd has not even been mentioned in this forum is beyond control.......

Dukes has been replaced by Salsa Kitchen as the mexican night king.