Visa on arrival in Mae sai

Does anyone know what the current status of the visa on arrival is in Mae sai?

I have a friend who is finishing up the volunteer project she was working on. Her nonO volunteer visa will be up soon, but she wants to stick around to relax for a bit. She would rather not go make a tourist visa if she doesn't need to.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

You should note that "visa on arrival" and "visa exempt entry" are not the same. Certain nationalities can enter Thailand without needing a visa. They receive 30 days (only 15 days if entering by land unless from a G7 country). The visa exempt entry can be extended for a further 30 days without leaving Thailand. Some other nationalities, not qualifying for visa exempt entry, can apply for a visa on arrival at some entry points. These allow a 15 day stay and are not extendable.

Whichever your friend qualifies for, she is unlikely to be able to do it at Mae Sai. She should probably use a border with Laos (checking that visa on arrival is available at the chosen entry point if that is what she wants) or exit and return by air.

She is Canadian, so a g7 nation. So that means that at a land border, she will get 30-day visa exempt stamp?

Is that now also extendable a further 30 days? Her return flight is in 6 weeks, so that would work perfect if that's the case.

We're in Chiang rai, so Mae sai would be convenient, but if that wouldn't work, what about Chiang khong?

Sorry for being out of touch with the current rules, but it has been quite a few years since I've done a border run.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Yes, she will be able to get a 30-day visa exempt entry that can be extended at an immigration office in Thailand for an additional 30 days during about the last week of the initial entry on payment of 1,900 baht.

Doing the exit and entry at Chiang Khong should be OK. She does need to enter Laos, and will need a visa (available at the border) for this purpose.

I was at Mae Sai on Dec 31st doing a border run, and can confirm that unless you have a valid visa allowing reentry into Thailand then you will not be allowed to exit Thailand at Mae sai, so exiting at Chiang khong is currently the best option.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I don't want to start a new thread and don't mean to hijack this one. However, just to confirm… I have a Non-O visa and plan to go to Mae Sai in a couple weeks to do my 90 day run and get a new stamp. It sounds like this is still fine according to the last poster but I wanted to be sure.

To summarize, can I still do and in/out at Mae Sai with a valid Non-O visa?

90 thank yous!

Hi folks,

I don't want to start a new thread and don't mean to hijack this one. However, just to confirm… I have a Non-O visa and plan to go to Mae Sai in a couple weeks to do my 90 day run and get a new stamp. It sounds like this is still fine according to the last poster but I wanted to be sure.

To summarize, can I still do and in/out at Mae Sai with a valid Non-O visa?

90 thank yous!

Yes you can.