Multi-day trekking / hiking / camping trails in Thailand?

Does anyone have any recommendations for long-distance trails to trek in Thailand?

Most of my research brings me to commercial operations at Chiang Mai etc., but those don't really appeal, especially those that include elephant trekking, rafting etc..

We have all our own lightweight trekking and camping gear, and prefer tent camping to hammock and tarp.

We'd prefer to do our own navigation and not use a guide, but we're quite happy to use a guide if the terrain is too difficult (e.g. dense jungle), if there are safety issues, or if it's a national park requirement. 2-5 day hikes with wild-camping opportunities and nice views would be perfect... perhaps a ridge walk, which simplifies navigation.

Any suggestions, or other Thailand trekking advice is welcome.

Phu Tab Berk,Nam Nao and Khao Khor in Phetchabun may offer an alternative although I can not give you any definitive advice but know that trekking and or hiking as well as camping is available in all these places.

Maybe have a look on google it may throw up some further info.

Cheers.

A little info about Nam Nao trekking.

http://www.trekthailand.net/north35/

Edited by stoneyboy

Thailand is a massively populated country. Very difficult to find places that are "wild". Near the Myanmar border, you'll find lots of refugees living in the woods. And farms are everywhere.

There are some interesting treks, but like you say, typically involve a raft, elephant ride, or stay in a hill tribe home. The latter can be great fun if you've never done it. Avoid elephant trekking at all costs.

If your looking for trekking like you find in Europe, the US, India or Nepal, I think you'll be disappointed. I've not seen anything like that here. The weather is tough and Thais don't really do these things. During part of the year, it's bloody hot. Sleeping in a tent is miserable. For another part of the year, it's raining. Making trekking very difficult. My wife just got back from Khao Yai. Foreign trekkers were wearing leggings to keep the leeches off.

Here's an interesting article to read:

http://www.travelfish.org/beginners_detail/thailand/135

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

Dtaw, I'll check that out. I expect it's relatively hot down there for strenous hiking compared to north Thailand, but still of interest.

Weather wise, for cool and dry conditions, I realise the prime time and place is in north Thailand around now (December-February), and that for a lot of the year conditions across the whole country will be less than ideal due to heat/rain. But some destinations such as the waterfalls west of Umphang are apparently best done in August when there is most water in the waterfalls.

We don't need to be away from all humanity. By "wild camping" I mean setting up camp en-route and not necessarily at "official" camp sites.

Higher-altitude hikes like ridges seems like a good aim. Less chance of leechy bogs and better chance of nice views. Flying around Google Earth I see some cracking looking long-distance ridges. Just a case of working out which are practically walkable, and how to go about it.

Be really careful where you setup "wild" camps. Most land is claimed by somebody...and I doubt they'd like you being there. Or might try to extract money from you for doing so. Police are corrupt, so don't expect any help from them.

• 2 years later...

Last January I've been hiking in Krabi and Phi Phi Island...

Not long distance but nice places to visit. 

In Krabi I recommend Hang Nak Mountain and in Phi Phi I did a tour called Antrek and the night hiking was really cool.

Very nice places and avoid the touristic stuff.

Now I'm planning to go back to Thailand in April and looking for nice adventures before go to Nepal

• 10 months later...