Two arrested in Phuket after French tourist killed by speedboat propeller

webfact

Two arrested in Phuket after French tourist killed by speedboat propeller
Eakkapop Thongtub

1451995033_1-org.jpg
The captain fled to Phuket after his speedboat propeller struck and killed French tourist Sylvie Thietau. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A French tourist was killed instantly during a snorkelling day trip off Poda Island, Krabi, today (Jan 5) when she was struck in the head by a speedboat propeller.

“Sylie Thietau, 52, died instantly when the propeller of the speedboat So Cool 1, of the Amazing Canoeing Group Co Ltd, struck her head. She died at the scene,” said Col Sompong Tiparpakul, Chief of the Krabi Town Police.

Ms Thietau’s husband was on the day trip with her at the time of the incident, he added.

“The speedboat did not stop, but instead fled to Phuket,” said Col Sompong. “But Phuket Police and Marine Police tracked the boat to Ao Por (on Phuket’s east coast).”

At Ao Por, officers arrested Myanmar national Maling El, 26, a crewman on the the speedboat, Capt Suchart Luecha of the Thalang Police confirmed to The Phuket News.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-arrested-in-phuket-after-french-tourist-killed-by-speedboat-propeller-55686.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-06

Speedboat kills French tourist
The Nation

30276221-03_big.jpg

PHUKET: -- A TOUR company employee was arrested yesterday afternoon after the speedboat he was on hit and killed a French tourist off Koh Poda in Krabi’s Muang district and then fled the scene.

The owner of the speedboat accompanied the captain, identified as Notin Suebsak, 29, who surrendered to police later yesterday.

The victim, a 52-year-old French woman, was snorkelling above a coral bed with five of her relatives when the boat sped through the area, reportedly despite hand-signal warnings that there were swimmers in the water. The woman sustained serious head wounds from boat propeller and died instantly.

After identifying the tour company speedboat, authorities alerted Phuket police who found the boat at the pier, impounding it and arresting the crew member.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Speedboat-kills-French-tourist-30276221.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2016-01-06

RIP. Nice to see the Capt. showed concern....FOR HIMSELF!

Brutal human being.

Some questions not answered by the report:1. who was at the helm at the time of the incident? 2. what role did the capt play in fleeing the scene (if he was not at the helm)? 3. what charges will be brought (if any)?

We safe. Thailand safe.

So he didn't even stop to help the touris but instead tried to escape the scene.

Yesterday i saw a documentary about Myanmar on tv, they are buddhist and there was a fishermen who wanted to stop fishing because it felt bad for him to take the lives of fish to make a living. What a huge difference.

TAT: "Come to Thailand where safety is no consideration".

R.I.P Ms Thietau

If the map is correct then they were in open water.

Did the tour operator have any safety measures in place so boats would know people were in the water -- like a diver flag?

Was the speed boat violating any laws/rules by being too close to the tourist boat?

Come on reporter .............. report!

If it's true that they were speeding over corals and that he ignored people waving, it's a very very serious offense. If additionally they fled the scene, there can be no excuses.

I hope the judges will do what is expected of them in a situation like this, including dealing with the captain.

Condolescences to the husband and relatives, who must have seen hell.

Maritime law is very specific the Captain (Master) is responsible for anything that happens on a vessel and this Burmese crew member, even if "driving" the boat is not the one liable

Same with the owner, since the reason the term Master is used is because the Captain is acting for the owner, as the Master of the vessel

But the police have their man so I see little chance of Maritime Law being invoked in Thailand , when you have a scapegoat in custody why bother with the niceties of the law of the sea

I am sure that the police will come to this conclusion = it was the Burmese crewman who was sailing, and not the Thai Captain.........

And the captain only fled the scene, to alert the police of the crime committed by the Burmese crew

I am sure that the police will come to this conclusion = it was the Burmese crewman who was sailing, and not the Thai Captain.........

Captain is responsible period end of story.

If he allowed the crew to pilot it is still the Captains fault.

Leaving the scene is the Captain's decision also.

He should be toast in any reasonable society ruled by proper maritime laws.

Maritime law, the captain is responsible for his ship/boat, In this case I don't know what Thai/ maritime laws are used inside the coastal limit, however if this happened in other countries the captain would be held responsible and the tour company as well.

The tour companies license should be immediately suspended and after a proper investigation they may loose license or be heavily fined.

I wonder just who was at the wheel???

If I were a Burmese worker here I would be packing bags and going home.

All tourists diving or snorkling should be warned by travel agents or upon entering LOS that you risk your life going on one of these adventures, not only from the dive operators but the mad boat and Jet Ski drivers as well.

So he didn't even stop to help the touris but instead tried to escape the scene.

Yesterday i saw a documentary about Myanmar on tv, they are buddhist and there was a fishermen who wanted to stop fishing because it felt bad for him to take the lives of fish to make a living. What a huge difference.

How sweet. A Buddhist country that doesn't mind institutionalized racist violence against it's ethnic minorities, including murder and rapes. Often the violence being led by Burmese monks. But one fisherman is concerned about fish.

We had a Burmese who thieved and lied. And yes, I've Burmese friends who are decent too.

But let's not pretend its paradise and all its people kind and honest. They ain't. Just as much corruption and elitist control as anywhere in SEA.

The victim, a 52-year-old French woman, was snorkelling above a coral bed with five of her relatives when the boat sped through the area, reportedly despite hand-signal warnings that there were swimmers in the water.

This is exactly the same type of mentality whereby, just because someone is in a vehicle of whatever kind, it gives them the right to plough through pedestrians/swimmers without the same protection. 'I'm in my car/speedboat, get out of my way'. See it every day here. I don't understand why this 'Me first!' attitude exists here. Lack of empathy?

Archived