Handle with care: Hospital care for foreigners without travel insurance

webfact

Handle with care: Hospital care for foreigners without travel insurance
The Phuket News

1451908191_1-org.jpg
For now, tourists without travel insurance can get some free basic hospital care.

PHUKET: -- Reports keep resurfacing of foreigners, expats and tourists alike, requiring hospital treatment despite the visitor having inadequate or no travel insurance at all. It seems that sometimes the government hospitals keep providing free medical care, while other times it seems they charge for their services. Here The Phuket News answers that vital question: What free medical care are foreigners entitled to?

QUESTION

My friend is traveling in Thailand and has been running a real high fever. It seems to be getting worse. He doesn’t have travel insurance or a lot of money, but needs to see a doctor. Is there any house call doctor services here that we can call to have a doctor can visit the patient in his hotel?

If so, how much will this service cost? If not, can we take him to government hospital and will they admit him or just send him to the expensive international hospital?
– Tasha, Phuket.

ANSWER
– Dr Bancha Kakong, Director of the Phuket Provincial Health Office.

Any tourists who become quite ill or are seriously injured but do not have any travel insurance should just go to the nearest government hospital. It is the policy of every public hospital to take care of any patients who need medical care – not just Thai people, but also tourists, expats, migrant workers or anyone else who needs medical treatment.

Public hospitals do not provide house call services, but in case of emergency, please call 1669 for an ambulance to transport you to hospital. This service is free.

Callers must provide as much basic information as possible about the patient so that the medical staff responding to the call are well prepared by before they get there.

The Emergency Medical Service (EMS) in Phuket is one of the best in the country because of the huge variety of situations our staff have encountered in the past. Our EMS is provided by well-trained staff and well-equipped ambulances.

For now, all tourists with no travel insurance can receive medical treatment at a public hospital in Thailand, regardless whether or not they can afford to pay.

However, please note that not all medical treatment is provided free. If any payment is required, the public hospital staff will inform you of any expenses and discuss how the bill is to be settled.

For example, if you call an ambulance and the relevant officials at the hospital you are taken to deem that the ambulance call was not for an emergency, be prepared to be charged as per one of three EMS services as follows:

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/handle-with-care-hospital-care-for-foreigners-without-travel-insurance-55667.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-06

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we have a card to put in our passports saying that in the event of accident we want government ambulance and government hospital -- before one of the privateers gets hold of us... ?) ;)

Why not man up and get some insurance ?

Can we have a card to put in our passports saying that in the event of accident we want government ambulance and government hospital -- before one of the privateers gets hold of us... ?) wink.png

Let's not start that very old thread again. Insurance is not available for many older folks staying long-term.

Can we have a card to put in our passports saying that in the event of accident we want government ambulance and government hospital -- before one of the privateers gets hold of us... ?) wink.png

Let's not start that very old thread again. Insurance is not available for many older folks staying long-term.

Insurance is at the heart of the issue here.

To me a foreigner who has problems getting insurance here is not automatically entitled to free medical treatment.

To me a foreigner who has problems getting insurance here is not automatically entitled to free medical treatment.

I have used Government hospitals many times during my time here.

I have never expected, and never will expect free treatment there.

However, I will never pay the extortionate prices of private hospitals.

I had a (what I thought) a really good international health insurance but when the day came to try to get them to pay I just got a big fat NO from them, I had payed about €2,500 a year over 5 years so if I had saved the money in a separate account for accidents instead I would have enough for even cancer treatment here in Thailand. Now I have gone with BUPA Thailand and pay only 28,000 Baht a year just in case I would get cancer or have a big accident. For normal treatments I just pay by my self...I regularly eat allergy medicine and back home it would be equal to about 450 Baht for 7 pills (for 1 week consumption), here I just go to a government hospital or a pharmacy and pay 20-30 Baht for the same medicine, but that's for 10 pills.

LOL, as if it would matter. You might have a chance of having it found in your wallet, not that it would make any difference, but passport? cheesy.gif

Not available after 65 if memory serves.

Travel insurance is for travellers, so its OK for tourists but will not cover expats or typically anyone who leaves their home country for more than 3 months .

Proper medical cover is expansive here, and in the 13 years that I have been here I repeatedly see people WITH health cover who are asked for lots of money in the hospital because the insurance company will not pay. In fact I have yet to EVER hear of a case where a serious matter does not end up with the holder of a Thai medical insurance having to pay up a percentage. Often because the hospital does stuff that the insurance feels is not necessary or because the room was to a higher standard than the insurance will pay (hospitals often lie and says cheaper rooms are unavailable).

The Thai private hospital scams can sting any of us at any time, be aware.

Having said that, even some insurance is better then none.

Is that your call to make?

I am 70 and still with BUPA but you have to start the insurance policy before 61 years old, i get even 10% of my prmium back the years(s) i don't make a claim and i pay nearly 40.00 baht / year for me and my wife.

another free loader! you should not be granted permission to enter Thailand unless you have travel insurance! even when I go to the United States I have "Travel" insurance!

why do tourist feel that they are entitled to anything free from a third world country which is doing everything it can for it's own people! if you can't afford insurance keep your free loading ass home!

another free loader! you should not be granted permission to enter Thailand unless you have travel insurance! even when I go to the United States I have "Travel" insurance!

why do tourist feel that they are entitled to anything free from a third world country which is doing everything it can for it's own people! if you can't afford insurance keep your free loading ass home!

I think he only means that he would rather go to the cheaper hospitals.

After 65 memory doesn't serve ;-) From a 70-yr old! All the comments on here about getting full medical insurance cover are total crap after one gets 'old'. It costs and arm and a leg !!!

Another poster who can't read ;)

AIA go up to 70.

AIA go up to 70

Insurance is a red-herring in this thread. No-one is suggesting that anyone wants free treatment, what is suggested is that we want to avoid the extortion that is applied by many private hospitals.

AIA go up to 70

.................and then what? ;)

If i need hospital care in thailand you have my express permission to shoot me in the head....took our kid to the doctor in Bang Dung in Udon the other day...doc gave him 5 bottles of <deleted> knows what and some pills....next morning kid was ok...but <deleted> were in those 5 bottles gawd knows...incidentally the quack owns the pharmacy...dhead

Healthcare in Thailand is cheap compared to most expat's home country. Many expats are here living on a small pension and have a hard time paying anything for healthcare. I am sure in most cases this is not by design, it's just the way it is.

As stated in the OP, Government hospitals will treat an expat free of charge for certain basic services. If you "Gd forbid" have a heart attack or something more than a fever be prepared to pay. If you can't afford to pay the entire bill, the hospital will accept a payment arrangement.

If you are fortunate enough to be married to a government employee, you will be covered [almost 100%] under your spouse's plan.

If I'm back in the states (and reinstate Part B) I have great insurance with both Medicare and insurance from work retirement. One foot out of the states, no Medicare and my insurance from work expired after one month, also depends on Part B. Here I have nothing,nor was I ever eligible for any insurance. I use Bangkok Hospital Udon and while the gov't hospital may be somewhat cheaper, there is still a charge, even for Thai people like my wife. Gov't hospital is an all day wait. My disability from the VA will cover any problem with those disabilities. Other than that I'm on the Republican health plan, if you get sick, die and die quick. At my age if a big problem pops up and I cannot have the lifestyle i am used to, then screw it. I'll just live the best I can, party on and when the party's over they can pop me in the oven.

Yes many health insurance cover providers drop out at 65 but the few (eg pacific Cross) that will provide cover start jacking up the premiums every 2 to 5 years, as in any country because older people need more medical treatment more often than younger people. Typically for the few companies that will still cover you, the 86 to 90 year old rate is like 4 or 5 times, the 61-65 age year rate. Serves us right for getting old. If in 2016, you were born before 1951 you will have trouble getting health insurance cover, and if you do get it, it will be expensive, and keep getting more expensive.

Archived