Handle with care: Hospital care for foreigners without travel insurance

webfact

It's about time the Thai government adopted a Health Scheme for the long term expats who permanently reside here, just like they do for the Myanmar, Cambodian and Lao workers for Government Hospitals.

Too many foreigners used the NHS in the UK without paying, so the UK have introduced an NHS surcharge (£200) for Visitors and those without permission to permanent residency to provide NHS cover.

A similar Government scheme could be adopted here.

You misunderstand, immigrants must first buy a health insurance policy costing 200 Pounds per year, before a long term visa can be issued, think O/S spouse of UK citizen.

UK expats who are no longer UK resident must pay 150% of ACTUAL NHS costs for each procedure/operation.treatment, not just actual cost, not an insured option but a payment on a for profit basis, 50% profit. It is scandalous.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we have a card to put in our passports saying that in the event of accident we want government ambulance and government hospital -- before one of the privateers gets hold of us... ?) wink.png

Why not man up and get some insurance ?

Let's not start that very old thread again. Insurance is not available for many older folks staying long-term.

Insurance is at the heart of the issue here.

To me a foreigner who has problems getting insurance here is not automatically entitled to free medical treatment.

In this case it does not have to be Free,,,Can we work out a payment plan,,,

Why does someone need to 'man up' to get insurance. Please explain this expression in this context.

Can we have a card to put in our passports saying that in the event of accident we want government ambulance and government hospital -- before one of the privateers gets hold of us... ?) wink.png

Let's not start that very old thread again. Insurance is not available for many older folks staying long-term.

When I first arrived here almost 3 years ago now, I was on a retirement visa, and had been for the previous 7 years, now on an extension of stay. Everytime I travelled I took out travel insurance and paid extra to cover pre-existing medical problems. After 12 months, when the travel insurance expired, and I was residing here ful time, I took out medical and accident insurance, which costs B114,000 per annum, a little bit pricy but expected as I am over 65.

Unfortunately, I made a big mistake of going to a well known private hospital, for an operation, and this cost me an extra B50,000 over the medical coverage. As I needed the op, I paid but as result of the doctor's negligence I'v required an additional 4 operations in an attempt to rectify the damage caused but to no avail. Those 4 operations were carried out in a large government hospital, which saw the costs to me being about one fifth of that charged by the private organisation and fully reimbursed by my insurer.

I have to go back for regular check ups, which are not covered as I am an outpatient but the most I've had to pay was B900, which included 4 lots of medication that lasted for 6 monthsbut on average my costs are B300.00. So as far as I am concerned anyone who travels without insurance or lives here and expects freebies are nothing but fools and should learn to act responsibily.

This is very good to know. Cheers to Thailand for that policy. Other countries including quite a few ones that we call "developed" have no problems asking for up-front payment or indeed not admitting people who are seriously ill.

I have a related question.

If as a foreigner I am willing to pay for my treatment and have the money to do so, but do not want to go to the expensive international hospital for essentially the same treatment, can I freely go to the government hospital? How much might the difference be? Will not the government hospital also charge me extra as a penalty for my status of supposedly wealthy foreigner?

You can get international travel insurance that will cover you for years, or if you live in Thailand you can get hospital care only for less than a thousand a year depending on your age & health conditions. (Thai Life Insurance) carries medical insurance with a small 200-300 dollar rider for death. This will be returned to you after 3 years. And this insurance company will insure you till you are 90 years old, try to find that with another carrier. They will also cover you if you are traveling outside the country, including the USA & Canada. You have no excuse not to have the coverage, and Thailand should not have to give you Free medical, when they can't even take care of there own.

'depending on your age & health conditions' is a massive part of your statement.

To then say 'you have no excuse not to have the coverage', is a bit pathetic.

This is very good to know. Cheers to Thailand for that policy. Other countries including quite a few ones that we call "developed" have no problems asking for up-front payment or indeed not admitting people who are seriously ill.

If as a foreigner I am willing to pay for my treatment and have the money to do so, but do not want to go to the expensive international hospital for essentially the same treatment, can I freely go to the government hospital? How much might the difference be? Will not the government hospital also charge me extra as a penalty for my status of supposedly wealthy foreigner?

It is no problem using the Government hospitals, no penalty for not being Thai.

As far as the price difference, it will vary depending on which private hospital.

I had a full week stay in a large Government hospital, doctor's consultations, nurses, medication, food, and ample take home medication when discharged. The total bill was 7,586 baht. OK, it was not the Ritz, but very good in terms of being looked after.

Had I chosen, say, the RAM hospital, I can guarantee the bill would have been 100,000 plus.

I would like to see regulation on 'third party' insurance, meaning that the party causing a foreigner to be treated in hospital pays the bill

Trains, busses,planes, tuk-tuk etc...liability insurance for ALL operaters, drivers and citizens if not in overall insurance.

safety funds for the rteal poor who are mot able to pay by taxing vat up 0.5 %

PA insurence for ALL tourist by law , not insured no visa.

I have friends in various parts of Thailand in their late 70's who easily get medical insurance. The older you are and the more ongoing medical problems you have, just increase the insurance costs.

I have annual medical insurance for myself and all of my family - It's just a matter money.

Yes, you can freely go to any government hospital but how they charge I cannot say. I can only speak for the one that i have been treated at and that is Khon Kaen University Hospital. You can have a VIP room, (large private) for about B2500 a night or a standard private room for about B1500 a night. If you a a foreigner, they actually go out of their way to provide food other than Thai, and their treatment is exceptional.

As I said in my previous post the cost to me was about one fifth of what the private hospital charged, the highest cost was when i was hospitalised there for 17 days with post op complications, and this was B28,000. All reimbursed by my insurer. i have no idea what they charged the locals but who cares, one cannot complain about these costs. I found that I was given excellent treatment and treated with utmost respect and found that my being able to converse in Thai was very beneficial with nurses always talking about the farang who spoke their language.

Can we have a card to put in our passports saying that in the event of accident we want government ambulance and government hospital -- before one of the privateers gets hold of us... ?) ;)

AIA go up to 70

.................and then what? wink.png

then it's time to say good bye

That's not quite correct. My policy with them expires when I turn 80 but I had to take it out before I turned 65. If I kick off before then my missus gets B1million life cover.

It's about time the Thai government adopted a Health Scheme for the long term expats who permanently reside here, just like they do for the Myanmar, Cambodian and Lao workers for Government Hospitals.

Too many foreigners used the NHS in the UK without paying, so the UK have introduced an NHS surcharge (£200) for Visitors and those without permission to permanent residency to provide NHS cover.

A similar Government scheme could be adopted here.

You misunderstand, immigrants must first buy a health insurance policy costing 200 Pounds per year, before a long term visa can be issued, think O/S spouse of UK citizen.

UK expats who are no longer UK resident must pay 150% of ACTUAL NHS costs for each procedure/operation.treatment, not just actual cost, not an insured option but a payment on a for profit basis, 50% profit. It is scandalous.

Yes and I'm suggesting the Thai government could offer a similar scheme for Immigrants here.

Thank you to the doctor for his reply. For the snide comments that follow, let me state that many of us do not qualify for insurnce. I had open heart surgery in Bangkok 5.5 years, and no longer qualify for any insurance. I paid 100% of the cost at that time. If you want to make a snide comment, please do, and I will dance in the streets when you cannot get insurance, okay?

Thank you to the doctor for his reply. For the snide comments that follow, let me state that many of us do not qualify for insurnce. I had open heart surgery in Bangkok 5.5 years, and no longer qualify for any insurance. I paid 100% of the cost at that time. If you want to make a snide comment, please do, and I will dance in the streets when you cannot get insurance, okay?

A friend of mine died the other day on the airplane going back home for further treatment.

The hospital basically kicked him out, because he ran out of money due to the insurance he had did not cover all treatments and tests the hospital did.

While I am sorry to hear this...he did not run out of money because of the insurance policy. He ran out of money because he was inadequately prepared financially for emergencies.

Travel insurance is for travellers, so its OK for tourists but will not cover expats or typically anyone who leaves their home country for more than 3 months .

Proper medical cover is expansive here, and in the 13 years that I have been here I repeatedly see people WITH health cover who are asked for lots of money in the hospital because the insurance company will not pay. In fact I have yet to EVER hear of a case where a serious matter does not end up with the holder of a Thai medical insurance having to pay up a percentage. Often because the hospital does stuff that the insurance feels is not necessary or because the room was to a higher standard than the insurance will pay (hospitals often lie and says cheaper rooms are unavailable).

The Thai private hospital scams can sting any of us at any time, be aware.

Having said that, even some insurance is better then none.

I have travel insurance that covers my entire stay from last July till April. Less than $80 for 9 months coverage for medical, dental and emergency transport back to US.

use government hospitals if you like, and at your own risk. my thai friends dont use them and i certainly wouldnt

if you're here long term and not able to get/dont want to get health insurance surely you make sure you have adequate financial resources to cover potential hospital bills? commons sense, isnt it?

like for education. clean air , potable water, even food ......medical care, hospital, doctors assistance and medecine should be a human right and should be free for all of us in this planet......our taxes should be employed first for these kind of vital maters.....!

coffee1.gif

Travel insurance is cheap....

And usually limited in duration. 3 months is a standard valid period. "Travel" implies tourism or business trip. Longstay is another thing !

Very well said. This news item is all about temporary travel insurance that covers medical and accident issues while on holiday.

Nothing to do with those of us living here all year round. That's a completely different issue ...

like for education. clean air , potable water, even food ......medical care, hospital, doctors assistance and medecine should be a human right and should be free for all of us in this planet......our taxes should be employed first for these kind of vital maters.....!

coffee1.gif

How much tax have you paid into the Thai system to entitle you to this 'human right' ?

coffee1.gif

It is a human right of soughts....and Thai public hospitals provide it. But why free? You pay so much tax you would expect free treatment for health problems arising from your lifestyle or inherent health problems? Doctors do not train for free. Hospitals are not built for free. Medicines are not made for free. Ambulances do not run on hot air.

Taxes might cover the "provision" of service but not the services themselves. Globally health care is a major cost in government budgets and the majority of the expenditure is on behalf of low income people because that sector is more prone to illness and injury due to poorer living standards and education and thus occupational risk. And more often than not tax regimes actually are applied more punitively to that sector relative to income than higher earning sectors.

Travel insurance should be mandatory.

Expats may be best advised to negotiate with Insurance brokers.

Or...as many do........ calculate the risk.

I have had the misfortune to also be long term hospitalized in Thailand. But grateful the outcome I have never resented paying the full cost.

Nor would I dance to see the same for any other. For why?

coffee1.gif

How much tax have you paid into the Thai system to entitle you to this 'human right' ?

Exactly ... less than 10% of the Thai population pay any real taxes, at most some purchase tax at bigger shops. Same with all tourists and most long stay foreigners. Little or zero tax paid to local or central government.

Human rights .... yeh right ... laudable comment ... now back to real world reality ..

I have had the misfortune to also be long term hospitalized in Thailand. But grateful the outcome I have never resented paying the full cost.

Nor would I dance to see the same for any other. For why?

in my home country where there is an abundance of clean air and potable water education and all health care are "free"; i.e. gov't provided..in much of continental Europe health is a blended private/public service but i agree hatsboff to Thailand. A year orcso ago there was discussion to have tourists take out mandatory insurance upon atrival to cover as I recall the $300 million baht cost of providing health care to tourists. Of course thai tourism businesses were very opposed and 300 million baht for a 3+ trillion baht in revenue generator is a small cost.

Archived