Chong Chom / O'Smach Border Update

pseast

Only 2 people on the bus. Was quite luxurious. The Thai woman on the bus said the Amm Co staff had her pay extra for her visa. Seems they're fond of dishonest extra (and redundant) service fees.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by pseast

Make sure they give you the proper arrival and departure stamps. They are very careless when it comes to border control in Cambodia, and you could enter by simply walking by without problems until you decide to leave. No one would care. Not the same for Thailand.

Edited by pseast

I have been to the border a few times. First time a visa run more than a decade ago after that I exited several times as I like visiting the northern area - Pusingh is, however, my favorite.

The chaos at the checkpoint beats Poipet with people running around and trying to do some business when they see a long nose.

I like the info becos this opens a speedy connection to Surin. I was aware of the PP-Osmach bus once a day but that's very limited and likely to be delayed and arriving at Osmach rather late in the day. Then leaving at an early hour for PP making it impossible to catch it when coming in from Surin. Not ideal. Plus I would anyhow stay in SR for a day or two. No need to break my lower back.

The visa guys wont be happy with me as I got an annual visa. No tea money coming along their way.... :)

THANKS again this is really very helpful

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure they give you the proper arrival and departure stamps. They are very careless when it comes to border control in Cambodia, and you could enter by simply walking by without problems until you decide to leave. No one would care. Not the same for Thailand.

When I went through that border last August with my Thai wife, she was supposed to receive a 14 day stamp. Instead, they charged her 100 Baht in "stamping fees", which a Cambodian fellow [guide] at the border said she shouldn't have paid and received a 2 day stamp instead. This was spottted by the Cambodian guard manning customs 300m down the road as we stopped to have our documents inspected. We drove our car into Cambodia on that trip. The guard asked us to go back to immigration and get her stamp "corrected", which was kind of nice of him, but considering how much time we had wasted waiting for 20 odd British backpackers on some kind of Thai-British "study tour" to get their visas (it took over an hour), it was particularly infuriating to have to go back to the very people who you would have expected to perform their jobs properly. They promptly corrected the error, but for some reason didn't want me watching them doing it? Yet they had no problem with me peering inside their window at the time they made the error? Of course it was my mistake for not checking my wife's passport promptly after it was stamped as I would normally do.

The good news is that the Cambodian visa people made no attempt to charge me or any of the backpackers extra. Tourist visas were charged the usual US$30, while ordinary visas cost US$35. It seems they think ASEAN area tourists are more gullible hence they tend to fall for this stamping fee trick as my wife did (who had never previously been to Cambodia). Not to mention that at the Lao borders, they have more reasonable 25-40 Baht "overtime" fees issued with receipts during non-peak hours, so it would have been easy for Thais like my wife, who had been to Laos numerous times before, to be deceived given that one country [Laos] charges an official stamping fee, so why wouldn't Cambodia be the same?

Well, clearly it isn't.

I have been to the border a few times. First time a visa run more than a decade ago after that I exited several times as I like visiting the northern area - Pusingh is, however, my favorite.

The chaos at the checkpoint beats Poipet with people running around and trying to do some business when they see a long nose.

I like the info becos this opens a speedy connection to Surin. I was aware of the PP-Osmach bus once a day but that's very limited and likely to be delayed and arriving at Osmach rather late in the day. Then leaving at an early hour for PP making it impossible to catch it when coming in from Surin. Not ideal. Plus I would anyhow stay in SR for a day or two. No need to break my lower back.

The visa guys wont be happy with me as I got an annual visa. No tea money coming along their way.... smile.png

THANKS again this is really very helpful

I've had the annual visa in the past when I would travel regularly to Cambodia for business. Will get another one again soon once business picks up and requires me to head east again regularly. I've found that entering Cambodia with the annual visa is a breeze, the immigration officers are friendly and even speak Khmer assuming I can speak it just because I'm the holder of said visa. No attempts at bribery and it makes short work of borders which are said to be difficult for those individuals that require a visa on arrival such as the Koh Kong border crossing, where overcharging is common.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any moneychanger can do this but there is no reason why one would want to. It's US dollars, not riel, that you need. Riel is basically used as small change and you'll automatically accumulate some paying in dollars.

Hotels, restaurants, taxis, buses - all charge in USD in Cambodia

In the immediate border areas, you can pay in baht as well

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Any moneychanger can do this but there is no reason why one would want to. It's US dollars, not riel, that you need. Riel is basically used as small change and you'll automatically accumulate some paying in dollars.

Hotels, restaurants, taxis, buses - all charge in USD in Cambodia

In the immediate border areas, you can pay in baht as well

Just for a same-day-return-Visa-run one certainly would not need or want RIEL, but for longer stays in Cambo I found it very useful to have a certain amount of RIEL with me as this will usually LOWER the prices for small purchases in many cases.

I usually change at some places in PP on the day of my arrival, just make sure it is not too much and you cannot get rid of it when you leave. Motodops, TukTuks, small purchases in Minimarts or in markets or eating in local hole-in-the-wall restos etc you can easily pay in RIEL, though the transport guys may not be happy about it but who cares. For them a bad deal (RIEL) is always better than no deal at all

• 5 months later...

Just did an in / out at Chong Chom, no more than 20 minutes all up if you hold a non-o multi-entry visa.

I paid one of the "guides" 200thb and he even filled in all my forms for me, cos I am lazy like that. He also speaks to the guys in the Cambodian Immigration, no idea what he says or if that speeds things up, but it was well worth the small amount.

Also, since my last trip, they now have the fingerprint scanners at both the in and out immigration windows on the Cambodian side. Nothing on the Thai sides though.

No hassle at all, highly recommended for those with multi non-o visas.

• 7 months later...

In mid March six of us will be doing a border crossing into Cambodia via this crossing to visit Siem Reap.

We would like an air conditioned van to transport us to our hotel in Siem Reap. We have already made the hotel reservations.

What is is the best way to do this? Are there vans available on the Cambodia side? Should be attempt to reserve transportation prior to arriving?

Thank you.

Edited by SpokaneAl

23 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

In mid March six of us will be doing a border crossing into Cambodia via this crossing to visit Siem Reap.

We would like an air conditioned van to transport us to our hotel in Siem Reap. We have already made the hotel reservations.

What is is the best way to do this? Are there vans available on the Cambodia side? Should be attempt to reserve transportation prior to arriving?

Thank you.

Manage your expectaions re ‘air conditioned van’. Standards are much lower in Cambodia and, unless you are being picked up by one of the 5 star hotels, the vehicle is likely to be be over 10 years. Air con will not be up to Toyota  Commuter standards.

• Like 1

A quick though re Cambodian visas..... the visas should be $30 for non-Asians. The visa desk will undoubtedly ask for Baht - probably 1,200/1,500 Baht.

Best if you have Dollars and say that you don’t carry Baht.

You can stand there and insist on paying the ‘official’ amount of  $30. As a single traveler I may choose to do that, in a party of 6 I would wish to consider the option of paying $210 for the group.

A quick though re Cambodian visas..... the visas should be $30 for non-Asians. The visa desk will undoubtedly ask for Baht - probably 1,200/1,500 Baht.

Best if you have Dollars and say that you don’t carry Baht.

You can stand there and insist on paying the ‘official’ amount of  $30. As a single traveler I may choose to do that, in a party of 6 I would wish to consider the option of paying $210 for the group.

There are five Thais and me with my US passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app