BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thai Customs Department to cut import duty on luxury items

Customs Department to Cut Import Duty on Luxury Items
BY JACOB MASLOW

ship-with-working-cranes.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s Customs Department is preparing to make a 30% cut to import duties on luxury items in hopes of boosting tourist spending. The department will be holding a meeting with the private sector in January to sort out the details of the tariff reduction before forwarding the details to Somchai Sujjapongse, finance permanent secretary, for consideration.

Kulit Sombatsiri, director general of the Customs Department, stated that the new duty level must not be detrimental to domestic manufacturers.

The department’s move comes after several requests from the private sector to further promote Thailand as a shopping paradise for tourists while also encouraging local consumers to shop at home instead of traveling abroad.

Full story: http://ethailand.com/business-news/customs-department-to-cut-import-duty-on-luxury-items/1222/

-- eThailand 2016-01-07

I'm no EJ, but cutting taxes is a good idea, especially when tax money is normally used in the most inefficient ways possible.

Encouraging the sale of foreign goods, and making things that rich people buy cheaper.

What's the bet that the wife of the guy who made this decision has her eyes on a new handbag? Because it's not really a progressive move for the country in general. Ordinary Thai will benefit not one iota.

Thailand’s Customs Department is preparing to make a 30% cut to import duties on luxury items in hopes of boosting tourist spending.

so I'm a tourist and when I come to Thailand, I am now going to buy luxury goods which even after the cut I could purchase in my own country much more cheaply and this is going to boost my spending as a tourist...

Gotta disagree with ol' ukrules (above), this makes no sense whatsoever... or at least the logic for the decision makes no sense...

That said, it'll make moving up to BMWs more affordable for all the locals around here with the orange kubota engine proudly displayed on the front of their current set of wheels... whistling.gif

Thailand’s Customs Department is preparing to make a 30% cut to import duties on luxury items in hopes of boosting tourist spending.

so I'm a tourist and when I come to Thailand, I am now going to buy luxury goods which even after the cut I could purchase in my own country much more cheaply and this is going to boost my spending as a tourist...

Gotta disagree with ol' ukrules (above), this makes no sense whatsoever... or at least the logic for the decision makes no sense...

That said, it'll make moving up to BMWs more affordable for all the locals around here with the orange kubota engine proudly displayed on the front of their current set of wheels... whistling.gif

Gotta disagree w/ you TBT.

ANY, and EVERYTHING that keeps money out of a corrupt government's (all are corrupt or at best inept) pocket, and leaves it with the guy who earned his money is a good thing.

ANY, and EVERYTHING that keeps money out of a corrupt government's (all are corrupt or at best inept) pocket, and leaves it with the guy who earned his money is a good thing.

I understand. And it is worthwhile to discuss the import duties and whether or not they are appropriate, have the intended effect, etc.

I'm just saying that this guy's argument is 100% disingenuous deflection... dropping the import duties on luxury goods in Thailand will certainly help the people in Thailand who consume luxury goods, but to claim that this will increase tourist spending seems to stretch the logic beyond reasonable limits...

The noodle lady up on the main road will be un-controllable with joy once this news gets to her!

post-63954-0-18442400-1452124365_thumb.j

I understand. And it is worthwhile to discuss the import duties and whether or not they are appropriate, have the intended effect, etc.

I'm just saying that this guy's argument is 100% disingenuous deflection... dropping the import duties on luxury goods in Thailand will certainly help the people in Thailand who consume luxury goods, but to claim that this will increase tourist spending seems to stretch the logic beyond reasonable limits...

Of course, the point is to give a further tax break to the rich who are the supporters of the junta. The tax break could easily be restricted to tourists by making it a refund like the VAT refund for which you have to show a foreign passport. This tax break will be for all customers, most of whom will be rich Thais.

If they dropped the tax on Harleys and parts I'd order a lot more stuff. I just bought a new set of highway bars a couple weeks ago and the taxes/duty/tariffs came to 50% of the cost of the item !

It is about competition with Vietnam , Cambodia , Laos, Myanmar all have growth in their tourist sector and a lot of those tourists are now bypassing Thailand , a move to keep the numbers up, business is business so what ever edge you can get over the opostition GO FOR IT .

Easily and better managed via a streamlined VAT refund system, eg the one that works seamlessly in Europe. The system in Thailnd is Byzantine . Of course it's aimed at wealthy Thais and for the benefit of the mates who own the luxury outlets....

Thai airways should have luggage allowment of 50 kg a person.

The Baht has to be devaluated 25%.

Stop with import taxes at all.

Then the tourists will be flocking to shop here.

If i shop online in Europe then 90% of the goods are cheaper, better quality and they bring it to my home. Try beating that.

This is great news Thailand has too many import taxes and because of it crap products get sold good because the good quality is too expensive. By lifting these barriers everyone will benefit as the Thai companies will be forced to up their game and make better products. So even the cheaper products will become better. Win for everyone except the companies who gotten away with crap products.

This just increases the free market and is good.