Thai Customs Department to cut import duty on luxury items

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the issue here that a lot of posters have is that the government used "tourism" as the end objective in reducing the luxury goods tax, when to many of us it doesn't seem like tourists would intentionally travel to Thailand just to purchase luxury goods anyways.

Reducing this tax may be beneficial in reducing outflow (I.e. Thais who intentionally fly to Singapore/HK to buy goods) but won't increase tourist landings.

I think the issue here that a lot of posters have is that the government used "tourism" as the end objective in reducing the luxury goods tax, when to many of us it doesn't seem like tourists would intentionally travel to Thailand just to purchase luxury goods anyways.

Reducing this tax may be beneficial in reducing outflow (I.e. Thais who intentionally fly to Singapore/HK to buy goods) but won't increase tourist landings.

A few Years ago lots of Russians, Arabs and also Asians did indeed fly to Thailand for Luxury Shopping first and Vacation second.

Simply because it was cheaper to by in Thailand than in their homecountries. Now i think lots of them just fly to europe because there its even more cheap. Visist a LV Shop in Germany and you will see that at least 75% of the customers are Tourists buying 5000k Euro or more in Bags and Purses and take them Home. If the Thais can get these Customers back it will help them with attraction a more wealthy group of Tourists they did loose.

And sure for most People here owning a genuine LV Bag is totally unimportant but trust me when i say that others see that as much more important than having a new Car

Are we talking about intelligent people making smart decisions, based on economic wisdom? Who are these people? And where on earth did Little P. find them? Wow. Not even sure what to say. This government doing something smart, that benefits the economy? That is mind blowing stuff. Revolutionary stuff. Creativity? Something to boost the economy?

They must be running scared, to actually implement progressive policy.

Encouraging the sale of foreign goods, and making things that rich people buy cheaper.

What's the bet that the wife of the guy who made this decision has her eyes on a new handbag? Because it's not really a progressive move for the country in general. Ordinary Thai will benefit not one iota.

....... apart from all the ordinary thais who work in the luxury goods business, and those who work in hotels and hospitality, catering to tourists who come here for shopping.

Thailand’s Customs Department is preparing to make a 30% cut to import duties on luxury items in hopes of boosting tourist spending.

so I'm a tourist and when I come to Thailand, I am now going to buy luxury goods which even after the cut I could purchase in my own country much more cheaply and this is going to boost my spending as a tourist...

Gotta disagree with ol' ukrules (above), this makes no sense whatsoever... or at least the logic for the decision makes no sense...

That said, it'll make moving up to BMWs more affordable for all the locals around here with the orange kubota engine proudly displayed on the front of their current set of wheels... whistling.gif

THIS is the problem. Even at the Duty Free, the goods are still more expensive than online or at stores in Europe (as an example). Local people with means simply fly abroad and shop for these goods rather than buy at Paragon etc.

Seems more fair to drop import duty on any items.

I have had many things like watch parts, motorcycle safety gear etc import taxed at high rates.

If a country wants to do so then all countries buying products from them should do the same...fair?

Would Thailand complain if all Thai made products going into any country get taxed?

A 30% cut to import duties on luxury items means the retailers of authentic luxury items will pay less as their cost. But they are under no obligation to pass the savings on to their customers. So the end result might be that the retailers make a higher profit at Thai taxpayer expense.

If one in Thailand were to buy luxury items direct from a foreign vendor (ie., internet), would the import tax still be cut upon entry into Thailand? If so, Thai retailers might be forced to lower prices to stay competitive. But as we've seen in Thai retail strategy, that's not always a given.

A 30% cut to import duties on luxury items means the retailers of authentic luxury items will pay less as their cost. But they are under no obligation to pass the savings on to their customers. So the end result might be that the retailers make a higher profit at Thai taxpayer expense.

If one in Thailand were to buy luxury items direct from a foreign vendor (ie., internet), would the import tax still be cut upon entry into Thailand? If so, Thai retailers might be forced to lower prices to stay competitive. But as we've seen in Thai retail strategy, that's not always a given.

And we have seen that very thing...time after time after time. When the Euro was weak/baht did the price of wine, cheese, chocolate go down reflecting exchange rate? Silly question. But when the Baht started to plunge, the price increases to reflect that were split second on the shelves.

And we have seen that very thing...time after time after time. When the Euro was weak/baht did the price of wine, cheese, chocolate go down reflecting exchange rate? Silly question. But when the Baht started to plunge, the price increases to reflect that were split second on the shelves.

I agree but the fact that they are cutting the tax now finally shows that they are waking up. They shot themselves in the foot (again) and now have fix that if it isn't too late.

Many Thai know how cheap it is overseas and are saving to spend there. My wife even has a euro savingaccount and is waiting for the baht to plunge.

I don't miss wine though but i like Hoegaarden whitebeer. When i 'm in Europe i drink so much of it that i don't need it in Thailand for 7 foulded prices.

Cheese i bring and chocolate we buy at IKEA, 3 bars for 100 baht, real chocolate not that cheap asian quality. I brought boxes full of it to give away but since Ikea has it i won't bring.. Ikea meatballs are still expensive though, all Thai around me love them as well, even when i tell them there's beef inside. Even Thai who always claimed they can't stand beef and get sick of it can eat them tongue.png

If you want to encourage domestic consumption drop all duties Sales will rise dramatically

Why should someone buy lets say a Louis Vutton bag here when they can get it 20 Per Cent cheaper in Hong Kong or Singapore

Just one example of hundreds of thousands of items

It's not only then 20% difference which counts.

If a lady brings a new purse to work, the collegues will ask her where she bought it and then she can say: in Hongkong! That's double status gain.

If she can say: in Europe while i visited my friend/family there that's even triple status gain. Then you also have a friend in Europe. Then you can show pictures of Europe on your cellphone and that will be the talk of the day.

There are several shops in BKK who sell used LV purses but hey who wants to tell they bought it there? I also now a guy who makes a living by selling used Hermes necktie's for men on ebay. That's his sidebusiness which makes more money then the familybusiness he also does.

"Certified, pre-owned neckties". There's a market for everything, lol.

Don't know about everything, pre-owned condoms might be hard(no pun intended) to shift....

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if this would include personal import of a vehicle, probably not, and ultimately 30% reduction would be no help because of the BS way of their valuation on said vehicle. Damn it! Looks like I'm gonna cut her in half, FK it!

On 25-10-2016 at 1:27 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

What happen to the shopping hub idea?

That's in Tokyo sir, loads of Thai have found it already.  Go into any of those huge snack/sneakershops in Tokyo and you'll think you're in Thailand.

Also they give a cash taxrefund for tourists in Tokyo, so no need to go in a long qeueu at the airport, they just deduct it from the retailprice.

And if you use the Shinkansen superfast trains you'll get a good discount if you're a tourist..oh and did i mention the free wifi you get if you go there? You pick up a wireless hub at Swampy airport which gives you free internet in Japan whereever you go so you can use Google maps all day long....

On 7-1-2016 at 5:30 AM, Seastallion said:

Encouraging the sale of foreign goods, and making things that rich people buy cheaper.

What's the bet that the wife of the guy who made this decision has her eyes on a new handbag? Because it's not really a progressive move for the country in general. Ordinary Thai will benefit not one iota.

The ordinary Thai will be able to buy imported high quality foods like high fibre cookies/muesli bars, nuts so they can finally do a good dump in the toilet and get more energy from that.

Or they can finally buy high quality products made in Japan instead of the cheap plastic crap from China which is broken in a week.

And they can will get the chance to sit in a high quality citybus made in Japan or Europe for an affordable price instead of what they have now standing at the customs because the importtaxes are too high.

Or they will be able to improve the economy by buying real seaworthy catamarans to sail to Hua Hin instead of a dinkyboat which even can't sail in waves from 2 metres high and 2 metres low.

Or they can buy real brandname products instead of the copy copy from very low quality. Haven't you noticed that ALL products in Thailand are of a special low quality? I mean even brandnames as Nike, Tefal, Honda, Yamaha, Karcher, Makita sell cheap crap in Thailand and that's in the official stores...Without the importtax the Thai can afford real quality which lasts much longer and they will all profit from that, no need to burn plastic crap which broke after using it a week.

Also they will be able to buy high quality batteries instead of the ones which are empty in a day and get burned in a fire without exhaustfilters.

Maybe they can even buy good tractors or riceplantingmachines from abroad.....a lower importtax (none would be even better) will change Thailand into a new episode.  If the quality of everything goes up they might also attract more Quality Tourists instead of what they got now. Safety will improve as well so less ordinary Thai die from shortcuts or other stupid things which can easy be avoided.

It will set the whole Nation a step higher on the development ladder, even people like yourself will see the results from it after a few years and regret what they posted on the web.

Archived