Netflix is now available in Thailand

ghworker2010

I asked this on another thread, but it seems this one has more readers smile.png

Q: What's the best, low cost box/dongle for Netflix streaming, that is confirmed working with the new TH service?

As I understand it, Netflix us different crypto keys for each region - so something actually tried and tested with the new TH service would be awesome smile.png

I also note that none of my SmartTV's or older network streamers have been updated with Netflix yet - so I guess Netflix didn't give the manufacturers much lead time.

Does your smart TV not have a web browser ?

Of course, as to the laptops we've used to watch Netflix for the past 2 or 3 years. I'd prefer an "it just works" box, ala MaigeTV, if such a thing exists though.

Maige was great- pity it stopped recently. But Netflix to the rescue- perfect timing:) I use an apple tv box- works perfectly (also get free live UK sky news channel on apple tv, no VPN needed) and you also get all the itunes TV/movies shows in thailand without VPN- pay by the episode/movie - good complement if netflix is missing something you want to watch.

The days of messing around with VPNs and dodgy, slow downloading are well and truly over - finally!

Yeah, I just wanted to avoid paying 8000+ Baht each for a box - I have 6 of them to buy if I get one for each TV... wink.png

Google chromecast will also do the job. About 35$ each in the states...

Shot in the dark, but, do they have Thai subtitles?

I have skimmed through about 20 titles so far - no Thai subs or dubs.

That would be an issue. Even girls that can speak some English have problems understanding English movies

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

save yourself some money if you want to watch netflix on an android media box.

i have the minix x8h and it only streams netflix content in very pixelated sd.

netflix only allows full hd streaming to "Netflix approved" android devices whatever their capability. my box can do 4K, but netflix simply wont allow it.

i signed up this afternoon. could not get an HD stream and through research discovered that there are very few netflix approved android media players and netflix has little to no interest in adding to the list unless they have shipped millions of units already.

They had then lost my business, Kodi, Geneis and Salts work plenty well and offer much higher quality streams.

I was hopeful, then i unsubscribed. terrible quality and no way to fix it unless i hook my laptop back up to the tv, and that wont happen.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

Cheers IMHO. What about love news channels? Any sign?

First you need to tell me "love news channels" are tongue.png

Edit: OK, I'm gonna guess you meant "Live news channels" - in that case, no, Netflix is all video-on-demand (movies, cartoons and TV series) - it doesn't do live TV channels.

Edited by IMHO

My not so smart Samsung TV (3 years old) has no browser, just a series of apps, and Netflix is not one of them.

Any recommendations for a wifi based box that will host Netflix and connect to the TV? I know there are a few around, but not sure if any are available in Thailand.

Thanks.

if you do invest in a box, make sure it is approved by netflix for hd streaming. Many android boxes are unsupported by netflix.

Is there anything on netflix that you cant already download for free? For example, when a new netflix series is released in its entirity ( 10 episodes or whatever) it always appears, all 10 episodes, in the usual download places within 24 hours.

Suppose if Thailand started to block kickass, pirate bay, etc, then netflix would become an alternative but as of now, in Thailand, there seems no point in paying for netflix when you can download everything for free !!

If something is not available to get here I have no problems downloading it. If there is an easy way to obtain it legally, I don't mind paying a nominal fee to the content creators and providers so in the end I can have more to view.

At THB350 / month I think this is very reasonable.

• Like 1

save yourself some money if you want to watch netflix on an android media box.

i have the minix x8h and it only streams netflix content in very pixelated sd.

netflix only allows full hd streaming to "Netflix approved" android devices whatever their capability. my box can do 4K, but netflix simply wont allow it.

i signed up this afternoon. could not get an HD stream and through research discovered that there are very few netflix approved android media players and netflix has little to no interest in adding to the list unless they have shipped millions of units already.

They had then lost my business, Kodi, Geneis and Salts work plenty well and offer much higher quality streams.

I was hopeful, then i unsubscribed. terrible quality and no way to fix it unless i hook my laptop back up to the tv, and that wont happen.

It's not just boxes you need to be careful of - according to this help page, there's only a few browsers that can support 1080P:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742?lang=en&nodeId=23742

This kind of harks back to my question before - seeing as Netflix use different crypto keys for each region, what I'm after is a known, tested box that can do a minimum 1080P (ideally 4K) on the TH service.

i would love to see all the paying subscribers in thailand compalin about the slow internet. cant wait. . honestly i watch everything online. want to know more? I am gettign google fiber when it comes out in my house in the states when it get here. then im using a satilite to access it.

yay you, im in bangkok and stuff just works. have fun with your satellite.

Is there anything on netflix that you cant already download for free? For example, when a new netflix series is released in its entirity ( 10 episodes or whatever) it always appears, all 10 episodes, in the usual download places within 24 hours.

Suppose if Thailand started to block kickass, pirate bay, etc, then netflix would become an alternative but as of now, in Thailand, there seems no point in paying for netflix when you can download everything for free !!

If something is not available to get here I have no problems downloading it. If there is an easy way to obtain it legally, I don't mind paying a nominal fee to the content creators and providers so in the end I can have more to view.

At THB350 / month I think this is very reasonable.

I've found that there's not much point arguing with the content pirates - these are usually the same people who still think downloading MP3's is clever :P

Does it have uhd(4k) contents?

No.

Raises the question though, Is there video on demand type internet sites actually streaming 4K content ?

Not that it really matters though as I doubt many people in Thailand have access to the type of internet connection that would be needed.

I haven't subscribed to Netflix-Thailand yet. But I have previously subscribed to Netflix U.S.

And, at least in other countries in the past, the availability of content has varied from country to country. For example, there were some U.S. series that got taken down off Netflix U.S. because the U.S. rights were sold elsewhere, such as to Amazon. But that same series remained available on Netflix UK.

Whether that situation has changed now with Netflix essentially launching worldwide, I don't know. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

Of course, for U.S. folks, there's nothing that prevents you from continuing to subscribe to Netflix U.S. and watch it via VPN or other workarounds.

I just hope the Thai govt doesn't get its meddlesome, censoring fingers into the content of Netscape in Thailand.

BTW, there are lots of websites that are devoted to tracking and reporting on what TV shows and movies are being added and taken down from Netflix U.S.

http://instantwatcher.com/

http://usa.netflixable.com/

The same site has a Thailand Netflix version, but I can't vouch for how accurate it is:

http://netflixthailandcompletelist.blogspot.com/

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/

You don't have to subscribe in order to get a feel for what kinds of things are available via Netflix.

I already have it via a VPN. Will programs be the same as in the USA?

I just tried it with my US/ Canada ID and it works same content without VPN don't know if it will stay that way.

from what I understand about Netflix is that if you have a user ID you can access it anywhere because when

I use my VPN and connect to US I get US content, and when I connect my VPN to Canada I get Canadian content

but when I connect here without VPN I seem to get US content I don't see any Thai maybe it will change ???

No.

Raises the question though, Is there video on demand type internet sites actually streaming 4K content ?

Not that it really matters though as I doubt many people in Thailand have access to the type of internet connection that would be needed.

4K are you kidding there is no streaming service that offer anything above 720p not even 1080p let alone 4K

Interesting article on the TechCrunch website written about Netflix's worldwide launch by a fellow Thailand expat (and talking about the continuing reason some might want to still use VPNs).

Now That Netflix Is Global, You Should Go Buy A VPN

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/06/now-that-netflix-is-global-you-should-go-buy-a-vpn/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Interesting article on the TechCrunch website written about Netflix's worldwide launch by a fellow Thailand expat (and talking about the continuing reason some might want to still use VPNs).

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/06/now-that-netflix-is-global-you-should-go-buy-a-vpn/

I don't see a compelling reason to buy a VPN after reading that unless thailand starts to restrict mature content

Started Netflix (via spare laptop) and have watched a few movies/shows in HD - great pciture and sound - a very good selection of movies/shows - but not everything. Downside is that I could not find a single movie/show with Thai subtitles. Therefore I will be sticking with IlikeHD too, as the wife likes to watch English movies - even though she speaks English OK, the Thai subtitles are very much needed sometimes. Maybe in the future Netflix will offers movies with Thai subtitles as IlikeHD does - which are the versions released here in the movie theatres (edited). But I doubt there will ever be Thai subtitles for all the TV Shows/Docos etc. But at only 200 baht a month (IlikeHD) and 350 (Netflix HD) I reckon I will keep both going for a while smile.png.

For those who are having issues with Android boxes etc - maybe what I did can help and is worth considering for some. I had a MiniX Android and a WDLiveTV box - fibre 30/10 internet - I access lots of stuff on-line. Both boxes were problematic (understatement) and were always going 'wrong' - one did this well but not that then did, the other would and then wouldn't etc etc. I got sick of all the forum experts and all the 'fixes'. Went and bought a cheap used laptop (could not find a cheap Desktop) with decent graphics and HDMI output. Installed a bare bones version of Win7 (removed eveything except IE11 and Chrome and a few operating apps). It is permanently setup to access whatever on-line show or service I want - and it works brilliantly everytime. Little bit of tweaking at setup (for Netflix - I needed to adjust silverlight settings) - but I am so happy not to be constantly accessing any more help/fixit sites because this or that stopped working on one of the boxes. I have a surround sound system with a big TV and I connect the laptop through the Bluray player (better sound). I also have a few 4TB HDDs with movies stored and I found the WDlive box is best for playing those (also thru BRay) - but the PC is by far the easiest and better way to access on-line shows and services IMO.

• Like 2

I don't see a compelling reason to buy a VPN after reading that unless thailand starts to restrict mature content

The main purpose, if one had the desire, would be to gain access to the different Netflix catalog selections as they exist in different countries, depending on the IP location you logged in from.

However, if Netflix begins sanitizing their content here (ala "airline versions") to satisfy the Thai government, that could become another reason.

I asked this on another thread, but it seems this one has more readers smile.png

Q: What's the best, low cost box/dongle for Netflix streaming, that is confirmed working with the new TH service?

As I understand it, Netflix us different crypto keys for each region - so something actually tried and tested with the new TH service would be awesome smile.png

I also note that none of my SmartTV's or older network streamers have been updated with Netflix yet - so I guess Netflix didn't give the manufacturers much lead time.

I'm going to answer my own question smile.png

This (albeit outdated) wikipedia page covers the boxes that work, along with their maximum supported resolution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix_compatible_devices

The bottom line is, none of the generic Android boxes, like the Minix etc, can do Netflix in a native app - on those the only thing you can do is view in a browser, which in turn means a max. resolution of only 720P.

So far, it appears the best overall option for me is the Amazon FireTV - the 2nd generation can support 4K Netflix, and it's also possible to side load your own Android apps, such as the iLIkeHD player. If you just want the cheapest option, the Google Chromecast is probably where you should be looking.

In the meantime, I'll just have to get by with my PS4 - the Netflix app for that was updated on the 6th of Jan, and I can confirm it supports 1080P Netflix perfectly. The user interface is very snappy, and the controls very intuitive too. It's never going to support 4K though, as it doesn't have HDMI2.0 and doesn't support HDCP 2.2.

Edited by IMHO

Here's why you still might want a VPN:

Thailand content is lacking, third worst in the world:

http://www.finder.com/netflix-usa-vs-world-content

But with a VPN you can access the USA catalogue...

The Thai Netflix has only 8% of the US TV library, and just 4.5% of the Movie library. Plus it has exactly zero 4K titles right now.

A Thai Netlfix subscription with a VPN to the US gets you the full US catalog.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I already have it via a VPN. Will programs be the same as in the USA?

I just tried it with my US/ Canada ID and it works same content without VPN don't know if it will stay that way.

from what I understand about Netflix is that if you have a user ID you can access it anywhere because when

I use my VPN and connect to US I get US content, and when I connect my VPN to Canada I get Canadian content

but when I connect here without VPN I seem to get US content I don't see any Thai maybe it will change ???

Nonsense. Only with a vpn you will get the us content. Without it you will get only a fraction. Try to search for House of Cards, Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead. But you will get most Netflix exclusives like Narcos, Marvel's Jessica Jones and others.

I use Netflix with my Xbox One (Xbox Live id required) and the picture is very nice.

Edited by sniffdog

No.

4K are you kidding there is no streaming service that offer anything above 720p not even 1080p let alone 4K

I guess it must be you who's kidding, because I view loads of streaming movies in 1080P, though I doubt that there is yet much of 4K available anywhere in the world.

Posts hidden. Forum Rule -

6) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

The Thai Netflix has only 8% of the US TV library, and just 4.5% of the Movie library.

Where are you getting those stats from?

I haven't seen anything like that, but even moreso, that would be a surprising way to launch the intl service.

The link in my previous post. Here it is again:

http://www.finder.com/global-netflix-library-totals

Thailand is 3rd and 4th from bottom for TV shows and movies.

• Like 1