Netflix is now available in Thailand

ghworker2010

The Thai Netflix has only 8% of the US TV library, and just 4.5% of the Movie library.

Where are you getting those stats from?

I haven't seen anything like that, but even moreso, that would be a surprising way to launch the intl service.

I won't estimate any percentage of the us content you get. But I counted the # of the horror movie category .... Thailand: 23 ... US: I stopped counting after 200.

The Thai Netflix has only 8% of the US TV library, and just 4.5% of the Movie library.

Where are you getting those stats from?

I haven't seen anything like that, but even moreso, that would be a surprising way to launch the intl service.

The link in my previous post. Here it is again:

http://www.finder.com/global-netflix-library-totals

Thailand is 3rd and 4th from bottom for TV shows and movies.

Thanks for posting that. I missed the earlier version.

If that tally is correct, that's pretty amazing. The site you linked to is saying Netflix Thailand has a total of 210 movies vs almost 4600 on the U.S. site. And that's a number for Thailand just slightly above Zimbabwe 199. Taiwan 385, Hong Kong 392, Singapore 469 and South Korean 480, but Japan 1181.

That would be one very BIG reason to continue using a VPN.

BTW, the Thailand entry on that site also has links to the supposedly full list of both movies and TV series available on the Netflix Thailand site.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Not really, - if you wanted to pat yourself on the back, you'd say you used MaigeTV right up to it's dying day, then switched the iLikeHD, but still use Netflix because 480P and 720P streams always did, and always will, suck ;)

House of cards - No

Orange is the new black - Yes

The good news is that what is available for Thailand streams very nicely in HD with very little delay in start-up because presumably the media is held locally. Changing region via VPN or DNS tricks allows access to the full catalogue, but then you are streaming internationally and quality drops.

Sadly it's more or less useless to us because we still need True for news/cartoons/educational channels. Especially all the English cartoons are good for my son.

I can get my TV series/movies elsewhere and they are freewhistling.gif

There is a "Kids" channel with a large selection.

House of cards - No

The good news is that what is available for Thailand streams very nicely in HD with very little delay in start-up because presumably the media is held locally. Changing region via VPN or DNS tricks allows access to the full catalogue, but then you are streaming internationally and quality drops.

Good point about the quality

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Well, I'm using a Minix X-8-H Plus with the Netflix app and the average Bitrate, while watching "The walking dead", is ~2.5 Mbit/s

It might not be UHD, but far away from being somehow "pixelated".

But I will check the Windows 10 app later, to see if it makes any difference in quality.

I also use a so called "Smartdns", to be able to choose my preferred Netflix Region (Germany in my case).

A slow VPN is no more necessary to have access to Netflix US or UK or Germany.

f4a863798e037946eb7dd4040d22ec11.png

The major question for me is : is it censored for Thai viewing. All my cable programs on the soon to be defunct GMMZ are censored to the point of unwatchability, and I would not pay to watch Orange is the New Black with 20% missing!

Generally everything that is available within the Kingdom is censored, hence HBO etc are all pixellated at those 'sensitive moments!

For me at least the cost of a Thai Netflix is exactly the same as a subscription to a US Netflix, which without too much effort you can access,

So the question is why bother?

Sadly it's more or less useless to us because we still need True for news/cartoons/educational channels. Especially all the English cartoons are good for my son.

I can get my TV series/movies elsewhere and they are freewhistling.gif

given i receive all my news via the web from various sources, and i gave up true about 5 years ago i beg to differ.

everything you mention is available online without true.

The major question for me is : is it censored for Thai viewing. All my cable programs on the soon to be defunct GMMZ are censored to the point of unwatchability, and I would not pay to watch Orange is the New Black with 20% missing!

Generally everything that is available within the Kingdom is censored, hence HBO etc are all pixellated at those 'sensitive moments!

For me at least the cost of a Thai Netflix is exactly the same as a subscription to a US Netflix, which without too much effort you can access,

So the question is why bother?

So you can watch the Thai provided service in HD (and switch to the USA service using VPN or DNS for the rest). Plus, for many of us, paying for the Thai service is easier.

I've been watching it and as far as I can tell it is not censored, for now at least.

House of cards - No

That's interesting, because the supposed full list of Netflix Thailand's catalog that was linked above didn't list either series as being available here. So apparently, the list is not entirely accurate.

I think the reason they don't have House of Cards is because they gave the right to CBS RTL Entertainment for Asia, here it's shown true.

I read that before Netflix launched in Australia, they gave rights to Foxtel, so when it launched it wasn't available. But after it launched they cancelled the rights and it was shown on Netflix.

So my guess is we will have to wait.

I Will NEVER pay for Censored Content... not to True... Not to Netflix !!!

From that "Other" Media source >>>

Another significant difference Thailand viewers may not look forward to is the same type censorship used in cinemas here and employed by Netflix in other markets to adhere to local media laws.

In a question-and-answer session after his presentation, Mr Hastings said Netflix may introduce "clean" versions of films, similar to those shown on airliners, to address Thai and other local countries' rules on mature content, violence and respecting cultural sensibilities.

Netflix already sanitises content in Japan, pixelating full-frontal nudity seen in its original Marco Polo series and other content. In Thailand, the service could follow cinematic practice by pixelating smoking, drinking and bloody violence, as well as censor nude scenes.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

House of cards - No

That's interesting, because the supposed full list of Netflix Thailand's catalog that was linked above didn't list either series as being available here. So apparently, the list is not entirely accurate.

I think the reason they don't have House of Cards is because they gave the right to CBS RTL Entertainment for Asia, here it's shown true.

I read that before Netflix launched in Australia, they gave rights to Foxtel, so when it launched it wasn't available. But after it launched they cancelled the rights and it was shown on Netflix.

So my guess is we will have to wait.

Right. Now that Netflix is a global operator, who do you think is winning all future content licensing contracts? ;)

I've found a free channel that plays Netfix stuff can't tell you the name cause in on the beach.Found it by chance,it redirects you to a 3rd party site.Watching Lillyhamer full episodes on it most evenings free.

Congrats Ace - you've found a way to save a whopping 280 Baht/month :D

I just hope it doesn't come with too many nasty surprises mate ;)

I've found a free channel that plays Netfix stuff can't tell you the name cause in on the beach.Found it by chance,it redirects you to a 3rd party site.Watching Lillyhamer full episodes on it most evenings free.

Or, you can pay 280 Baht a month and just have the real thing.

Well, I have Hola VPN and that gives me everything for when I want to watch something different. That being said, there are a ton of movies and TV shows ready to go on the Thai version that will last me a heck of a long time. I suppose when I catch up with those and there's nothing new to watch I will just cancel....considering I'll be paying 3,360 for a whole year I think I can afford to keep it. :)

Sitting here watching "orange is the new black" and seeing vagina's in all their natural glory tells me the censorship is very low if at all.

The news reporting on Netflix's international launch had their CEO saying they MAY end up creating "airline" versions of movies to comply with local censorship laws... But it didn't say they had started doing that already, or that they would for sure.

In the case of Thailand viewing, time will tell.