Netflix is now available in Thailand

ghworker2010

Legal Netflix offered in Thailand at a fair price! Great news, Netflix joins a short list of companies that treat us like legitimate customers (NFL, MLB, Steam).

Sure, the catalog is limited - but it just started and is sure to grow. There will always be a place for "alternative" downloads for the latest or less mainstream shows and movies.

The performance is fantastic. I can select a Netflix program on my Roku, and it will start playing faster than Plex can start it from my NAS.

If nothing else, it will minimize my need to maintain a cartoon library for the kids.

Hopefully this will help every expat in Thailand, subscribers or not, as it should take some load off the international links.

So, I connected to Netflix, Thailand and checked the movie lineup. No Thai movies! What's the point of putting Netflix in Thailand? Is it just for the Expat community? If they are not going to have any Thai movies, why would a Thai purchase Netflix? Don't understand the reasoning.

Well, I'm using a Minix X-8-H Plus with the Netflix app and the average Bitrate, while watching "The walking dead", is ~2.5 Mbit/s

It might not be UHD, but far away from being somehow "pixelated".

But I will check the Windows 10 app later, to see if it makes any difference in quality.

I also use a so called "Smartdns", to be able to choose my preferred Netflix Region (Germany in my case).

A slow VPN is no more necessary to have access to Netflix US or UK or Germany.

f4a863798e037946eb7dd4040d22ec11.png

You must have a small telly or bad glasses.

Android boxes only view at 480dpi, which looks poor on a 50" TV.

Well, I'm using a Minix X-8-H Plus with the Netflix app and the average Bitrate, while watching "The walking dead", is ~2.5 Mbit/s

It might not be UHD, but far away from being somehow "pixelated".

But I will check the Windows 10 app later, to see if it makes any difference in quality.

I also use a so called "Smartdns", to be able to choose my preferred Netflix Region (Germany in my case).

A slow VPN is no more necessary to have access to Netflix US or UK or Germany.

f4a863798e037946eb7dd4040d22ec11.png

You must have a small telly or bad glasses.

Android boxes only view at 480dpi, which looks poor on a 50" TV.

I doubt that.

Side note Im watching Kodi right now in 1080....on a 50" screen looks great.

My not so smart Samsung TV (3 years old) has no browser, just a series of apps, and Netflix is not one of them.

Any recommendations for a wifi based box that will host Netflix and connect to the TV? I know there are a few around, but not sure if any are available in Thailand.

Thanks.

Same problem here. I have BBB router in my condo which provides enough speed just not sure how to connect the netfix to my tv. Apple TV a solution. I gave apple phone and ipad...just not sure I need all the features and at 8500 it's not cheap

So, I connected to Netflix, Thailand and checked the movie lineup. No Thai movies! What's the point of putting Netflix in Thailand? Is it just for the Expat community? If they are not going to have any Thai movies, why would a Thai purchase Netflix? Don't understand the reasoning.

From what I can find;

1. There is no Thai content.

2. There is only a tiny fraction of the English language content.

3. It's all censored.

Making it absolutely pointless.

After a couple of days of testing, measuring and experimenting I have come to the conclusion that the best throughput is established by having a Vpn on my IPhone 6 and AirPlay to my TV. HD available for the US offering. Also AirPlay is great for Hooq and Iflix (screen mirroring only).

Edited by sniffdog

My not so smart Samsung TV (3 years old) has no browser, just a series of apps, and Netflix is not one of them.

Any recommendations for a wifi based box that will host Netflix and connect to the TV? I know there are a few around, but not sure if any are available in Thailand.

Thanks.

Same problem here. I have BBB router in my condo which provides enough speed just not sure how to connect the netfix to my tv. Apple TV a solution. I gave apple phone and ipad...just not sure I need all the features and at 8500 it's not cheap

One relatively easy way is simply to run Netflix off a Windows or Mac laptop that has video out capability, and connect the laptop to the TV with the appropriate video out cable -- HDMI, DisplayPort, SuperVideo, etc etc.

That way, you can also use a VPN or DNS redirect service is you desire, and select the Netflix region of content of your heart's desire (U.S., UK, etc.)

• Like 2

Thanks.

My Samsung smart tv is also about 3 years old and has the Netflix app.

Thanks.

One relatively easy way is simply to run Netflix off a Windows or Mac laptop that has video out capability, and connect the laptop to the TV with the appropriate video out cable -- HDMI, DisplayPort, SuperVideo, etc etc.

That way, you can also use a VPN or DNS redirect service is you desire, and select the Netflix region of content of your heart's desire (U.S., UK, etc.)

Solved the problem by buying an Apple TV (version 3 at 3,600 baht). Use Unlocator to set the DNS to USA and all of Netfix is now available and easily accessible. Plus I can stream all the videos sat on my computer through the Apple TV.

A Chromecast will do the same job for about half the price.

No doubt. But the shops are not exactly full of them and the Apple TV probably works more naturally with the family iPhones, iPads and Mac computers.

Available on Lazada. I use mine with my MacBook every day.

I'm getting a chrome cast today (friend bought if from usa) - how does quality of picture casting to TV compare - apple airplay v Google Chrome cast?

Chromecast streams directly from Netflix rather than via another device, so as long as your connection is up to it you'll get as good a quality as Netflix offers.

No doubt. But the shops are not exactly full of them and the Apple TV probably works more naturally with the family iPhones, iPads and Mac computers.

Available on Lazada. I use mine with my MacBook every day.

Appears to be sold out, wich is understandable

The Chromecast is a very cheap way to get video from the your phone or PC on the TV, but it's not a universal replacement for a standalone box with it's own remote.

There's something still to be said for a device that can still be used when your phone's on charge and the PC is asleep for the night :)

The Chromecast is a very cheap way to get video from the your phone or PC on the TV, but it's not a universal replacement for a standalone box with it's own remote.

There's something still to be said for a device that can still be used when your phone's on charge and the PC is asleep for the night :)

For using Netflix, I disagree. Navigating the Netflix GUI using a remote and a screen ten feet away is a tiresome experience, compared to flicking through videos on a phone, tablet or laptop, then casting the one you choose to the tv.

Incidentally, you realise you can still use your phone whilst it's charging, right?

Thanks.

my laptop is for work, i have dedicated media boxes for my tv, if netflix wont certify therm for HD, i dont need netflix, sorry.

a low quality sub 480 stream just doesnt cut it

• Like 1

The USa or UK netflix. Are they free ?

If not how does one sign up for a US account ?

The USa or UK netflix. Are they free ?

If not how does one sign up for a US account ?

Netflix doesn't care where you sign up. You get the content from where it thinks you're located, regardless of where your account is based. If you want the US version, use a VPN or DNS service that gives you a US location.