Modafinil anyone?

Duggsie

Can anyone advise on the availability, or otherwise, of Modafinil (or its counterparts) from the average Thai pharmacy?

Are there generic versions available and how do they compare, if so?

Any advice and experiences (good and/or bad) appreciated. smile.png

This medication is available in Thailand

It is not available. No registered brand of it in Thailand.

Oh well, that's me sorted then.unsure.png

Good to have received such a definitive solution to my enquiry, so quickly.wacko.png

Any further advice available, from those in the know, please? smile.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
G'day <deleted>
here is my email to the thai embassy in Australia and their response...........
Hi Thai embassy in Australia
im thinking of travelling and maybe even living in the thailand in the future.
I currently take a medicine called modafinil (provigil), it is a wakefulness drug that helps me stay awake.
Can you please tell me if i can buy it in thailand
if i can import it to thailand?.
Because i will only be able to take over a few months supply on my first trip, so once my supply runs out, i want to know how i can get modafinil if i am in thailand.
can a doctor prescribe modafinil in thailand.
Also, what class of drug is modafinil? and if something went wrong, for example, if i ordered it on the internet and the police found it at customs, would i go to jail?.
I cannot find any information about thailand and modafinil on the internet so can you please give me as much information as you know or can find.
thanks

sincerely

And their response..............

Dear Mr. Highlander
Unfortunately, modafinil (provigil) is not registered in Thailand.
According to Food and Drug Administration, Thailand, you are allowed to bring the unregistered medication to Thailand for 30 days- use with the certifying letter from the doctor who prescribed you this medication with details of the patient's name and the patient's symptoms and sickness.
Ordering any medication which is not registered with Food and Drug Administration, Thailand, is illegal.
Thank you kindly.

Regards

Public Diplomacy Assistant
Royal Thai Embassy Canberra

Ordering any medication which is not registered with Food and Drug Administration, Thailand, is illegal.

Does this apply for all nutritional supplements? A lot of orders from iherb would be getting confiscated if that was the case. Is there a difference that customs officers see between "medication" and "nutritional supplement"?

• 1 month later...

I have no idea hyperdimension but note they say you can bring it with foreign prescription if not FDA approved and they say you can't order it in even if you have presceiptio, for non FDA approved. So I guess me ordering from modafinil at without a foreign prescription is entirely out of the question.

• 1 year later...

Modafinil is available from some pharmacies in Thailand - I've been buying it for the past few years. It is however prescription only and Im not sure of the legal status of possession without prescription. 

Having said that, I don't have a prescription and have managed to buy it just fine in Phuket. The brand is called "Modafin" by Alpha Pharma - with a bit of sweet talking and a back story about how you have narcolepsy and have a prescription back home, most will sell it to you.

If your in Phuket, I can tell you exactly which places stock it. 

Modafinil side effects:

• Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
  • Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
  • Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
  • Signs of low mood (depression), thoughts of killing yourself, nervousness, emotional ups and downs, thinking that is not normal, anxiety, or lack of interest in life.
  • Signs of heart problems like chest pain, fast heartbeat, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, or shortness of breath.
  • Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
  • Feeling confused.
  • Very bad headache.
  • Fever or chills.
  • Sore throat.
  • Swelling in the arms or legs.
  • Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
  • Feeling very tired or weak.
  • Muscle or joint pain.
  • A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.

Sounds like good stuff, hopefully I can get hold of some...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...