Why would anyone want to visit the Philippines?

Scouse123

Why? Delightful people. Warm welcome everywhere. None of the surliness so common in Thailand these days. Easy communication in English. Wonderful scenery. Gorgeous beaches. Low prices. Why not? Scruffy cities. Boring, unhealthy food. Above all, skip Manila. Worst city in SE Asia by far. Fly into Angeles/Clark (CRK) from KL, Singapore, or HK if you can and start from there. On the armed security guards everywhere, I admit it's off-putting at first. But the profession is a job-creation scheme. Most of them are too mild to shoot rabbits. The murder rate by gunshot is far lower than in Thailand.

Agree with a lot of this. There are areas in Manila which feel safe, and areas which definitely do not. Guns and poor law enforcement seem equal but with more US thinking and influence.The airport, and transport infrastructure is dismal. The corruption is fairly equal to Thailand. Yes there are more obvious signs of major poverty. Too many kids with no means to feed or educate them. (Good Catholic country)

English is a bonus. Same Chinese blood influence. = corruption and nepotism. Feudalism everywhere.

Angeles/Clark is more like Pattaya but in the mountains..

The people you meet are friendly. They do not pretend to be superior. They realise their country is a basket case and they still smile and do the best they can.

As for the girls - a Spanish influence in the genes is more pleasing to look at than the flat Chinese faces.

I stayed near the Megamall in Manila, where there's a corridor created by walls along the streets which in turn caused the most choking pollution I've ever encountered. Then I enter my three-star hotel and have to go through a metal detector each time. When I check out of my room I realize my keys have been stolen. I don't know what they'd want with a foreign tourist's house keys until I realize that the key ring had an Infiniti emblem on it--which means somebody thought there would be an Infiniti parked in the hotel garage. The front desk girl is totally unhelpful, saying such things simply do not happen in that hotel. As for the food--appalling, inedible unless you stop by the Shangri La. Otherwise, fuhgeddaboudit.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 1

Oh yes I seen on TV how the Christianity epidemic is running rampid in the Philippines. It truly is amazing. I bet Emperor Constantine never expected his creation to have lasted so long and have such an impact on the word hundreds of centuries later.

• Like 1

Well, I go about twice a year and will be heading back to the PI in a few weeks.....it is what you make of it....if you stay clear of Manila....I head out to Sabang and Puerto Glara....quiet spot, no hassles, easy going life style, never any problems, good break from the shitbags and goings on in Pattaya.....IMHO....YMMV....lol..????

• Like 1

They drive on the wrong ( American ) side of the road. Too freaking hot. Haven't been there; however, if the food is as bad as other posters say, not interested.

Like Thailand, the Philippines has its share of horror stories about women. Lang Hancock is the most famous example.

A majority of the countries in the world drive on the Right side of the road. It was influenced by France, Russia and the US.

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Today, only four European countries still drive on the left: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta.
  • Like 1

I visited an Uncle (former Vietnam vet) in Manila a few years ago before making sponsored jumps from helicopters into Davao city.

I was VIP with very wealthy and influential businessman and had the pick of the girls.

You can imagine I had a stellar time but, I'll have Thailand any day particularly now married to a former glamour swimsuit model here in BKK.

I am fairly well travelled in South East Asia and been here 23 years or more and visited most of it.

I have never been to the Philippines and have been thinking about it and having a look for the experience BUT a friend of mine, who is a Thailand regular, has recently returned. He is streetwise and knows his way around a few big South East Asian cities as well as the popular places.

His take was this:-

1. He never relaxed or felt safe at all whilst moving around in Manila. He says he was constantly on edge and waiting for bad things to happen. He was on his guard but all the time felt nervous.Going out at night unless by taxi was a big no-no.

2. He said when he went to Clark, a cyclone came in and scared him to death and weather was terrible for about three days.

3. He couldn't eat a Mc Donalds without chidren or women with babes in arms banging on the restaurant windows asking for money. He also stated he had never seen as much poverty or as many slums as in Manila and children begging. It had all the sounds of a dysfunctional country.

4. He mentioned the only positives were the women spoke English and understood him better.

5. He said he was constantly hassled by beggars in the street and really believes Manila to be the worst city he has ever visited.

6. Food on the streets, he says was by and large greasy, unhealthy and inedible unless he went to lousy fast food joints. He likes the soup stands and BBQ stands around Bangkok!!

I then went on to many Flipino forums to research this morning and all I read is people being mugged in broad daylight in Manila, gangs of well dressed Filipinos robbing people without shame in Jeepneys working in groups of up to 8, terrible poverty, drugs being placed in peoples drinks knocking them out and getting robbed, credit card scams in restaurants,agressive and nasty attitudes from Manila taxis threatening and refusing to open meters,cheating and scamming as soon as you get off the plane, police and security with machine guns at shopping malls and ever increasing threats from Muslim insurgents.

My God, it makes Pattaya sound like kindergarden!!!

I have made a few friends from there on Facebook and can assure readers ALL BAR NONE are trying to get out of there and work elsewhere. I have not met one, male or female, that says they love the Philippines and want to stay. Also, I have unfriended a few on FB as they constantly are trying to ram ' GOD ' down my throat and I am a long time atheist.

So, the question is, is it really that bad those of you who have been??

If it is, Why would anyone want to visit the Philippines???

Try Tagbilaran, on Bohol, and adjacent island, Panglao, have been 3 times, never had any worries, perhaps not the cheapest place in pi, but friendly folk, reasonably clean, and lots to see including chocolate hills.

• Like 2

They drive on the wrong ( American ) side of the road. Too freaking hot. Haven't been there; however, if the food is as bad as other posters say, not interested.

Like Thailand, the Philippines has its share of horror stories about women. Lang Hancock is the most famous example.

A majority of the countries in the world drive on the Right side of the road. It was influenced by France, Russia and the US.

Today, only four European countries still drive on the left: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta.

Yes. Only 3rd world countries still drive on the left side.

Yes, That's why third world Japan drives on the left and first world North Korea drives on the right.

• Like 1

Having visited more than 40 countries and lived in 12 countries across the 4 continents, there are always dark and bright side of every nations. However, for us, we believe that the main purpose for one to travel on leisure is to be exposed to other cultures, seeing new places and contributing to the local economy by a positive mean. As a foreign visitor, one should avoid negative criticism and worsen the situation. The Philippines was one of the country that I have lived for 3 1/2 years. In Manila, there is an area calls Makati where there are great restaurants and other decent forms of evening entertainments within walking distance. Concerning local transportation, it is recommend that one take hotel limousine, chauffeur driven hired car or a taxi arranged by one of the high quality hotels in the area. They are a lot cheaper than the U.S. or Europe. For cultural exposure in Manila, we recommend that one visits the Intramuros and San Agustin Museum. Last year, even Bill Gates and his family made the Philippines their holidays destination. For more information on the Philippines, please visit: http://www.itsmorefuninthephilippines.com/

The murder rate by gunshot is far lower than in Thailand.

Can you list some sources because I cannot find them.

This link may give you some info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

That link shows both the murder by gunshot numbers and rates are actually much higher in the Philippines than in Thailand.

2012 Phillipines 8,484 rate 8.8

2011 Thailand 3,307 rate 5.0

Unless of course the rate for Thailand increased by around 150% in a 12 month period... Seems unlikely.

Also very interesting to see that those countries who enforce very strict gun control regulations with no permits or 'rights to bear arms' all have very low rates i.e. <1

I guess that's a whole new discussion though...

Yes, That's why third world Japan drives on the left and first world North Korea drives on the right.

cheesy.gif Touchee! You beat me to it. In fact from what I can make out, with the exception of some of South Africa, all of the 3rd world countries drive on the right.

I see a lot of posters on TV using the term 3rd world incorrectly, in particular to describe Thailand - clearly they have no understanding of the meanings.

Although to be fair the term has morphed slightly from the original designation of countries into 1st, 2nd and 3rd dependant mainly on alliance during the Cold War period, it is now also used as a descriptor for socio-economic development status.

However Thailand does not fall into 3rd world category by either definition of the term. It was classed as 1st world in terms of Cold War alliance:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

And in terms of its current economic growth and development it is not in the 'least developed' category:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_developed_country

It can be seen that the Philippines does have 3rd world status regarding CW alliance, but it also does not fall into 3rd world as far as economic development goes.

The 3rd World in terms of socio-economic growth :-

post-226596-0-60007700-1452352690_thumb.

Edited by Shadychris

cheesy.gif Touchee! You beat me to it. In fact from what I can make out, with the exception of some of South Africa, all of the 3rd world countries drive on the right.

I see a lot of posters on TV using the term 3rd world incorrectly, in particular to describe Thailand - clearly they have no understanding of the meanings.

Although to be fair the term has morphed slightly from the original designation of countries into 1st, 2nd and 3rd dependant mainly on alliance during the Cold War period, it is now also used as a descriptor for socio-economic development status.

However Thailand does not fall into 3rd world category by either definition of the term. It was classed as 1st world in terms of Cold War alliance:-

And in terms of its current economic growth and development it is not in the 'least developed' category:-

It can be seen that the Philippines does have 3rd world status regarding CW alliance, but it also does not fall into 3rd world as far as economic development goes.

silly boys.............lol

it was a joke...i wasn't being serious. You guys are too sensitive..but it is funny.

silly boys.............lol

it was a joke...i wasn't being serious. You guys are too sensitive..but it is funny.

Yes I appreciate you were joking, and it made me chuckle - obviously everyone knows (and neither does anybody ever call) the UK, or Japan etc 3rd world countries.

However it is accurate to say that a lot on here do constantly refer to Thailand as a 3rd world country. Whether just through ignorance, or as an attempt to belittle Thailand, or possibly a combination of both - who knows..

I do know that whilst I am not overly sensitive to it, things like that can and do cause offence to Thais. So even if just a few people are educated by the info and links provided, it wont be funny, but rather some small progress....

I was there for a month 5 years ago, and i found the Philippines (apart from Manila) to be very welcoming. I did travel there with my gf at the time, who i met in Dubai.

I travelled all over Luzon, to Manila, Angeles city, Clark, Tugeugaro city, Baguio city, Cavite. I wasn't threatened once, although i must admit Manila could be a bit scary at night, but i never had any problems, maybe i was just lucky, i guess..

The food wasn't very nice, but got by. I think i would go back there, given the opportunity. But i think there are better places to travel to, and see, so maybe i will never get back there.