Why would anyone want to visit the Philippines?

Scouse123

I lived in Manila for a year and never experienced any problems, I would walk the city during the day and at night and only encountered friendly locals,

Yes there is more visible poverty and a larger homeless population than Thailand, and it is less touristy, but there are many hidden gems in Manila, some great street food and local eateries, and outside of Manila there are some of the most beautiful pristine beaches you'll find anywhere.

Don't believe all the negative reviews, go check it out for your self.

What about the food , can you have a decent western meal in Manila ? And priced under 300 baht ?

I lived in Manila for a year and never experienced any problems, I would walk the city during the day and at night and only encountered friendly locals,

Yes there is more visible poverty and a larger homeless population than Thailand, and it is less touristy, but there are many hidden gems in Manila, some great street food and local eateries, and outside of Manila there are some of the most beautiful pristine beaches you'll find anywhere.

Don't believe all the negative reviews, go check it out for your self.

What about the food , can you have a decent western meal in Manila ? And priced under 300 baht ?

I'd say the standard of western food is better in Manila than it is Bangkok. Around the Malate and Makati area are plenty of ex pat bars and pubs that do great food a good prices, Heckle and Jeckle sports bar in Makati is a good venue to eat, watch sports, play pool and they use to have a poker night there, Malate has loads of western food places as well as Indian and middle eastern,

Slouch Hat near Malate is a great place to go, good food, cheap drinks and friendly staff that will be able to give you more info on where to go.

I recommend you visit Tagaytay which is a couple of hours outside of Manila in the highlands, beautiful scenery surrounded by Volcanic lakes, and plenty of western and ex pat places.

• Like 1

OP, most is correct. I've been to 72 countries, and PI is #72 for food. Un-eatable. Even the Western food sucks there. You will find yourself at KFC and McDonalds every other day. As a foodie, I couldn't live there.

Im from the Police State and will liberated PI in 1945, and they talk about it to this day. They LOVE us there. In Thailand, they HATE us,......unless we are buying from them....

They hate YOU in Thailand, the rest of us don't expect to be revered like Gods for simply coming from a different country.

• Like 1

They drive on the wrong ( American ) side of the road. Too freaking hot. Haven't been there; however, if the food is as bad as other posters say, not interested.

Like Thailand, the Philippines has its share of horror stories about women. Lang Hancock is the most famous example.

A majority of the countries in the world drive on the Right side of the road. It was influenced by France, Russia and the US.

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Today, only four European countries still drive on the left: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta.

Yes. Only 3rd world countries still drive on the left side.

Switzerland, Finland, Monaco and Vatican City are also 3rd world countries. Third world countries are those which were not part of NATO (1st world), or the Soviet Bloc (2nd world) during the cold war.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The RP would probably be my first choice ahead of Thailand if it wasnt for the tax situation.

?

I can live in Thailand without paying any income or capital gains tax anywhere. This would not be the case in the RP.

'Don't know your nationality, but this isn't true for Americans. If they meet the requirements they may be able to exclude up to a certain amount of foreign-earned income, but all unearned income (i.e., investment income) remains taxable and there's no statute of limitations on the failure to file a return. (There ARE US income tax credits for foreign tax paid on foreign income, which serve to limit or prevent double-taxation, but you must file to get them.) 'Doesn't matter where they are abroad: The US has tax treaties with over 42 countries, and the IRS usually has agents attached to US embassy staffs to ferret out US expats who might not be filing. Some details here.

AND there are BIG penalties nowadays for Americans who fail to report foreign financial assets! (But that's getting off-topic.)

Edited by hawker9000

Italian hostage released in southern Philippines

a0becbb06ba8ecf9299515b5138b14603c2d22fb
View photos
Italian hostage Rolando del Torchio was kidnapped in 2015 (AFP Photo/)More

Manila (AFP) - A retired Italian priest abducted six months ago in the southern Philippines by suspected Islamic militants was released on Friday, police and the Italian government said.

Rolando Del Torchio was picked up at a port on the remote island of Jolo, a stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf group, national police spokesman Wilben Mayor, told AFP.

The Abu Sayyaf is a small group of militants infamous for kidnapping foreigners and demanding huge ransoms.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

• 1 month later...

There are now even detective companies that can investigate for foreigners living abroad who want to make sure their "chosen ones" in the Philippines behave...

Edited by Thaistory
  • Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/journalist-shot-dead-philippine-capital-police-055513398.html

Journilist shot dead in manila

449462010455f456f2fe9c7377d8d55ba80b0715
View photos
Crime journalist Alex Balcoba, 56, is carried to a tricycle after he was shot by unidentified gunmen in Manila (AFP Photo/)
More

A crime journalist has been shot dead in Manila, police and colleagues said Saturday, the latest addition to a lengthening list of unsolved murders of media workers in the Philippines.

Alex Balcoba, 56, was attacked in central Manila late Friday outside a watch repair shop owned by his family, the country's National Press Club said in a statement.

The club's president Paul Gutierrez said the attack on Balcoba, a reporter for the People's Brigada tabloid, brought to more than 30 the number of journalists killed in the Philippines since 2010, with no suspects yet brought to justice.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

Just the usual thread full of nonsense from people who have NEVER visited the Philippines,to be honest I hope that a lot of the people commenting never do it makes it a better place!Thailand is 100 times at the very least more dangerous for a foreigner than the Phils,if you don't believe that pick up any English language newspaper in Thailand and see how many foreigners were murdered that day! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Just the usual thread full of nonsense from people who have NEVER visited the Philippines,to be honest I hope that a lot of the people commenting never do it makes it a better place!Thailand is 100 times at the very least more dangerous for a foreigner than the Phils,if you don't believe that pick up any English language newspaper in Thailand and see how many foreigners were murdered that day! rolleyes.gif

'Just the usual ostrich with its head buried in the sand. Well I've spent quite a bit of time there, and it definitely CAN be dangerous. Both the Philippines and Thailand are big enough and populous enough that individual experiences and exposure to crime and violence can vary widely depending on exactly where they go and what they do and with whom they do it. But the BS flag goes up on absurd statements like "Thailand is 100 times at the very least more dangerous for a foreigner...". Plenty of trouble to be found in both places, but it's just a fool's errand to be trying to prove one is so much worse than the other in this respect.

• Like 2

Any comparison between Thailand and Phils when it comes to foreign deaths, and especially violent ones, needs to take into account the numbers of visitors to and expats in Thailand as opposed to the Phils. Once that is done everybody will understand that the Phils do a pretty good job at disposing off foreigners. No need to hide behind Thailand ;)

• Like 2

Phills is more dangerous for foreigners when you look at the reported cases in the media. Compare with Thailand that receive at least 80% more tourists than Phills it's not hard to understand the risks you face there.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Phills is more dangerous for foreigners when you look at the reported cases in the media. Compare with Thailand that receive at least 80% more tourists than Phills it's not hard to understand the risks you face there.

OK then. Let's see your summarized statistics. And who on earth would depend on "reported cases in the media", or even published government statistics, in this part of the world, for such fact-finding anyway? You're just venturing your guess. 'Nothing wrong with that, but it's just an opinion. Touting personal conjecture as fact only serves to diminish your own credibility.

I know places in the Philippines that are FAR FAR more dangerous than some places in Thailand, and other places in the Philippines that I feel much safer than some places in Thailand. Wildly unsupported generalizations like the one you're groping for are laughable.

Edited by hawker9000

hawker: please share with us your data and it sources. You seem to have found some solid grounds to dismiss other statements and claim superior knowledge. ;)

Seriously, from my experience Manila, Cebu, CdO and some other places feel/are distinctly more dangerous than Thailand. A comparison of Angeles with Pattaya does not tell us much about both countries but is relevant for foreigners.

Both countries have a really bad south but in Thailand foreigners dont get targeted as such like they are in the Phils. No kidnappings and head-choppings in 5-Star Thai resorts. Again, most of us do not hang out in 300 USD a nite places.

Pick-pocketing seems to be more rampant in phils as are thefts by room visitors (not talking of hookers).

What makes me think that Phils might be more risky is perhaps the ability of communication. The people speak English and interact more than in Thailand. So we are able to discern signals that we might miss in Thailand due to our lack of language and familiarity with culture.

• Like 1

OK then. Let's see your summarized statistics. And who on earth would depend on "reported cases in the media", or even published government statistics, in this part of the world, for such fact-finding anyway? You're just venturing your guess. 'Nothing wrong with that, but it's just an opinion. Touting personal conjecture as fact only serves to diminish your own credibility.

I know places in the Philippines that are FAR FAR more dangerous than some places in Thailand, and other places in the Philippines that I feel much safer than some places in Thailand. Wildly unsupported generalizations like the one you're groping for are laughable.

No they are based on what I hear from visitors and expats in the country and what I read in the media.

What are the facts ,?

Thailand attracts millions of visitors every year, Philippines are not even near the same numbers.

Guns , there seem to be more guns available on the streets , at every bank and atm there's a guard standing with a gun , I have never seen that in Thailand. Why? You'll find them also outside hotels and guarded villages. That alone give us an idea how much more at risk you are in the Phills.

The only one with guns I see walking around here openly are uniformed police.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

hawker: please share with us your data and it sources. You seem to have found some solid grounds to dismiss other statements and claim superior knowledge. wink.png

Seriously, from my experience Manila, Cebu, CdO and some other places feel/are distinctly more dangerous than Thailand. A comparison of Angeles with Pattaya does not tell us much about both countries but is relevant for foreigners.

Both countries have a really bad south but in Thailand foreigners dont get targeted as such like they are in the Phils. No kidnappings and head-choppings in 5-Star Thai resorts. Again, most of us do not hang out in 300 USD a nite places.

Pick-pocketing seems to be more rampant in phils as are thefts by room visitors (not talking of hookers).

What makes me think that Phils might be more risky is perhaps the ability of communication. The people speak English and interact more than in Thailand. So we are able to discern signals that we might miss in Thailand due to our lack of language and familiarity with culture.

Nice try Player 1, but I'm actually the one taking notice of the earlier ridiculous (and totally unsubstantiated) claim [made by MyFrenU] that Thailand is hundreds of times more dangerous ("at least", LOL) than the Philippines, and asking for sources supporting that. Try reading what everybody's actually said before you wade in to the deep end. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Hawker, thanks for confirming my assumption. You dont have better data at hand. So why are other statements more laughable than you own? Yup nice try and even nicer score ;)

Anyhow, I think we agree that the Phils are relatively more dangerous than Thailand while Thailand has more victims in absolute numbers.

1st off manila isn't the city to relax in or judge the philippines on. Same kind of as Angeles / Clark. Yes there is more poverty but allot of world wonders. #1 tourist destination , boracay island is like phuket was 15 yrs ago. Volcanoes,Rice terraces, world wonders, There is so many places to see , I don't know where to start. I've been to both Thailand & Philippines over 2 dozen times each & both have different advantages. Lastly corregidor island is a fantastic tour if your into war history.

1st off manila isn't the city to relax in or judge the philippines on. Same kind of as Angeles / Clark. Yes there is more poverty but allot of world wonders. #1 tourist destination , boracay island is like phuket was 15 yrs ago. Volcanoes,Rice terraces, world wonders, There is so many places to see , I don't know where to start. I've been to both Thailand & Philippines over 2 dozen times each & both have different advantages. Lastly corregidor island is a fantastic tour if your into war history.

In the Norwegian news yesterday a man was arrested after using Manila kids from the slum for online sex. The poor mother was also a part of the "business". The 66 year old Norwegian who lives in Norway sent a lot of money to the family. In return they set up a webcam and performed sex on command from the Norwegian, who distributed the video and pictures to other pedophiles.

Very sickening and I hope he get a long sentence for this and rot in hell.

Edited by balo

All these threads denigrating the Phils are just Thai expats stripped of their assets by their wives and girlfriends desperately trying to justify their existence,nothing more! coffee1.gif
Pick up an English language newspaper from Thailand and one for the Philippines and count the number of foreigner deaths in each one,I know which one will have zero and which one will have many!

• Like 1

I have been going to ph for the past 15 years staying up to a max of 6 consecutive weeks. Other than makati itself, metro manila is not a save place. U have to be alert all the time. Even in makati i was followed a few times and each times i just walk into a shopping centre and wait it out. Most places have plenty of child beggers who more than likely to operate in a bunch. Keep your hands in your pockets least u find something missing. Outside of metro manila its a little bit better but still i wont be as relax as in Thailand. I think it would be difficult to live alone in ph unless at the top end. You will have lots of hassle from your neighbors. Marry a pina and you marry her family, relatives and the entire village, as quoted by my pinoy frd.

You people must visit a different Philippines to me as I lived in Cebu and never had any problems or felt unsafe anywhere in Cebu.My buddy was a DJ and we used to fly up to Manila to party all weekend in Manila and we had a fantastic time,nothing but fun met great people local and foreigners and never felt unsafe in Manila for even a second either!.
I honestly don't understand what you people must do to attract such attention from bad people or to feel unsafe it just does not compute with me at all?I've travelled all over the Phils to many islands like Bohol,Bantayan,Malapascua,Camotes,Cabilao,I've done Clark and Angeles City in Pampanga also and had an absolutely fantastic time and anyone that doesn't really does have something wrong with them.
In fact I don't believe these people have even been there,it's just scaremongering nonsense!