BBC says Thailand is among 7 top places in the world to live after retiring

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The optimist says this is one of the best places in the world to retire.

The pessimist agrees.

Yes It is funny to read the Thai haters when these reports come out isn't it.

Tourism is increasing....................................No!! its a conspiracy

Some old guy dies in his apartment.............Its the Thai's killing us off

The UK BBC comes out with an opinion

that's this is a good place to retire.......................wow we cant blame TAT --but its still got to be wrong.

What a sad life, talk about viewing life through a glass half full. I have permanently lived in 4 different countries--16 years here. Its not a 100% --but mumbling & moaning wont make it that also.

Life is so short , if you are really as unhappy here as some of you posters claim.

Then the answer is so simple.............................coffee1.gif

Is this the very same BBC which rn a programme showing the fraud and corrution fostered on two retirees here in Thailand??

Ian Rance and Colin Vard lost millions in euro due to utter fraud and corrution.

Just one single extract from that programme; Ian's signature was "witnessed" by a lawyer.

Jonathan Head BBC; Was Ian present when you witnessed his signature?

No replied the corrupt lawyer.

Add in corrupt police, corrupt courts and a corrupt system and for sure you have one heck of a place to retire to.

Of course, this is NOT a BBC report. How could it be when it is saying that Panama is a popular place to retire. Most UK retirees have no idea where Panama is.

This is a reprint of a report in internationalliving.com, a US site for US retirees who have no NHS and no EU - which changes things a lot.

BBC Worldwide. as it says , is a commercial arm of the BBC. The article is a paid plant. Do richer advertisers provide the best advice?

Other 'advice' they're proffering include

Worlds healthiest places - Panama, Costa Rica and Ecuador

World's best health care - Costa Rica, Malaysia and Panama

World's best climate - Ecuador, Colombia and Mexico (note - no Panama!!)

Cheapest places to retire - Ecuador, Panama and Malaysia

World's worst advice site - internationalliving.kom

Really! I can only imagine these words coming out of the mouth of someone who came over on a paid trip and stayed a a top resort, being accompanied by attendants who had the contacts to get them the very best.

I would agree that Thailand is one of the top a retirement destinations if you're on a tight budget, avoiding taxation/deportation, etc, etc, etc....

What part of Thailand were they referring.

1) Bangkok; nothing to do here except party and shop your life away.

2) Pattaya; No thank you...

3) Phuket; No thank you....

4) Hua Hin; used to be nice, but becoming the same as 1,2.

5) Chiang Mai; not bad, but have to leave for 2-3 months of the year...

Where else would one live, that wouldn't require leaving to buy perfume?

Then there is all the other stuff; which one is not even allowed to mention............

Really! I can only imagine these words coming out of the mouth of someone who came over on a paid trip and stayed a a top resort, being accompanied by attendants who had the contacts to get them the very best.

I would agree that Thailand is one of the top a retirement destinations if you're on a tight budget, avoiding taxation/deportation, etc, etc, etc....

What part of Thailand were they referring.

1) Bangkok; nothing to do here except party and shop your life away.

2) Pattaya; No thank you...

3) Phuket; No thank you....

4) Hua Hin; used to be nice, but becoming the same as 1,2.

5) Chiang Mai; not bad, but have to leave for 2-3 months of the year...

Where else would one live, that wouldn't require leaving to buy perfume?

Then there is all the other stuff; which one is not even allowed to mention............

"Where else would one live, that wouldn't require leaving to buy perfume?"

I love people with their priorities in the right order. Perfume indeed.laugh.png

Yes, it is quite easy as a retiree in Thailand (and many other low cost countries), when you enjoy a steady if not spectacular income, to lead a good life. The situation changes somewhat when you develop an emotional attachment to the country and its people. Then life becomes about your empathy and concern for other people and their living conditions. The "sunny retirement" articles tend to gloss over these possibilities, which are inevitable for many of us.

Yes I have an emotional attachment which is great but now our immigration system here in Chiang Mai is in tatters and we seemed to be channeled in the direction of Visa agents big time. Once they got us all signed up then watch prices climb. What a way to treat the elderly in a land that respects older people but I guess that pertains only to Thai seniors. It seems so unfair but who said life was fair. BBC should do some more research.

Completely agree with it, never want to go back to this dreadful cold pathetic country of Belgium. Went back last year to my home city in the North of Flanders due to my mother's passing away and really thought I had landed in Marrakesh or Istanbul....crying.gif No more explanation needed here I think. And it's indeed much cheaper over here than in that lousy EU. Never regretted my move 15 years ago and will remain here, military rule or not! Know your world here, adapt and you'll be fine.

Completely agree with it, never want to go back to this dreadful cold pathetic country of Belgium. Went back last year to my home city in the North of Flanders due to my mother's passing away and really thought I had landed in Marrakesh or Istanbul....crying.gif No more explanation needed here I think. And it's indeed much cheaper over here than in that lousy EU. Never regretted my move 15 years ago and will remain here, military rule or not! Know your world here, adapt and you'll be fine.

Problem is with 65 years of being babysat somewhat in most of their respective countries, many retirees come over here ill prepared for the potential hazards of living in Thailand. Some of the dumbest moves I have seen over here in the last 12 years or so have been done by people old enough to know better, not sure in every case a late start is a good idea..............

I have never been "babysat" in my respective country but I have been always treated with respect. I find that sadly lacking when dealing with the "system" here. Respect should be a universal thing or has the world deteriorated to the point where it no longer matters. I would be interested if you could "flesh" out your dumbest moves comment. You sound like one of those laugh a minute guys great around a campfire elsewhere not so much.

Fluff ------------

12511924_10153865716448637_475036298_n-w

Reality ------

post-110622-0-47717600-1428481217.jpg

Like most beaches in the world after high tide

You're kidding, right?

He means like most tourist traps in 3rd World countries.

Obviously, this poster has never been to the beach in Santa Barbara, CA, 555

And like most "low information" tourists, has no clue what the beach at a remote fishing village is like, because they're too busy getting drunk in tourist slums.

Why should retirees NOT live in a bubble?

I was speaking with a Thai woman the other day. I asked her about the decline in tourism. She said her business was way down, but she had no idea why. I suggested it was due to Little P. and his destructive policies. She said all politicians are bad. Why was I bothering myself over these thoughts? Why was I preventing my own happiness? She explained how relaxing it was to not think about these things, and just relax, as she put it. I asked her if she wanted to exchange brains with me.

Though I am usually not an advocate of sticking ones head in the sand, it must be nice to not be too concerned about all of the nonsense around us. Especially where politics is concerned.

Fluff ------------

12511924_10153865716448637_475036298_n-w

Reality ------

post-110622-0-47717600-1428481217.jpg

Having seen many beaches in Thailand I can say most are very clean and you picture is an exception not the norm.

But then if I retire to Thailand as I hope to do I probably would not plonk for an over priced seedy tourist resort.

Keep coming across foreigners in Thailand who seem to get themselves into legal or financial mess. Part of it seems to be choosing unsuitable local partners and it going horribly wrong further down the road. Thus for alot of mainly foreign men, the living in Thailand starts as paradise but later becomes hell. Thus take your time, don't dive in or put all your financial resources into retiring in Thailand. Its a cheap place; keep it cheap!

10 minutes ago we almost stepped on a snake laying on the walkingpath at the park in the moobaan.

5 minutes ago i had to scare off a soidog which tried to attack me 2 days ago, he was also in the park, it was a bangkeaw same color as the one who bit me last week when i was in a shop.

This afternoon i saw an awfull accident happening right infront of me, a racing car flew of the mainrood on the frontroad and crashed into a pickuptruck.

Yes, very good for retirement! Leave your nanny state, do it.

Interesting reading all these Posts but you have to take many of them into consideration when the writer did come to Thailand to retire.

I came to Thailand many years ago, 65 to be more precise, and used the place as Homebase in my work environment as an expat working worldwide.

During the last 15-years of work I started to prepare myself for retirement, retired 1994.

During the prepare 15-years 1974 - 1994 had a house (fully paid for) completely furnished ready on a golf course which now 2016 (22-years later)you couldn't touch for the price then.

Had a car (fully paid for) a retirement.

Never patronized the girly Bars.

Never got involved with local female(s). (Never married).

My life is simple, do my shopping in town 30-kilometer away (this shows the golf course is laying in the country) in the early hours of the day avoiding heavy traffic on the motorway and in town and women with screaming kids in the stores.

Would I live in the village as the majority of retirees do? No, never.

Would I marry a Thai female? No, never.

I did not come to Thailand to live like a Thai. That's why I live on a golf course in the country with 112 residences with only a small number of owners in all year round residence, like myself, the others come and go a few times a year, mostly when it is cold weather in their home country, Scandinavia, Holland, Switzerland, South Korea, Taiwan, to name some.

What I'm getting at, could I do the same now 2016? No way I wouldn't have the yenom (that is money spelled backwards) to do it now.

So when reading the TVF Posts you must take into consideration when, what year (time period) are they talking about when they started their retirement. The same as, did those idiots like BBC and other publication ever live in Thailand for any length of time? LOL in LOS

Thailand is great for retirement if you are prepared to live in a bubble. Live your own little life cheaply and happily and ignore what's going on around you. Things that are not likely to affect you much, like the blatant day to day corruption that permeates Thai society from top to bottom. The injustices of the legal system. Better not venture out onto the roads. Don't care about te Thais that live around you, you know the ones that struggle to live on 300 baht a day (if they're luck), ignore the 'slave labourers' from Burma on the building sites. Oh yes I'm all right Jack.

I wonder -how deep the research these articles by so called 'travel experts' go. Have they ever experienced 'trying to get things done' satisfactorily in Thailand. Have they ever had to jump through hoops at the whim of some surly Immigration Officer, and I'll bet they've never had to pay themselves for private hospital treatment in this Country.

Ten years retired in Thailand and I would say ït Used to be a good place to Retire"! No more.

Probably written by someone who has never been to Thailand.

Also, if Portugal is such a desirable place to live/retire, then,,,

''Every month an average of 10,118 people depart – mainly to

France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, the UK and former Portuguese

colony Angola – and this trend looks set to continue,

writes Diário de Notícias.''

Quoting,,,,http://www.voxeurop.eu/en/content/news-brief/4281551-

10000-people-leave-portugal-every-month

Thailand is great for retirement if you are prepared to live in a bubble. Live your own little life cheaply and happily and ignore what's going on around you.

been here semi-permanent since the age of 36, single coffee1.gif

i love living under a stone, it's cool and shady coffee1.gif

far away from so-called civilized world nanny state coffee1.gif

not sure yet where to retire though (in 20 years - will i actually still live then ??) coffee1.gif

but def NOT thailand cheesy.gif

ps. extremely looking fwd to go back to burma at some point, utter remote, near the beach thumbsup.gif

Having sold up and left...my viewpoint is different.

Like most people I had a reasonable time .

A few annoying quirks daily.

Building expenses and frustrations .

Thai gossip and some theft.

But largely ok.

Things started to change about 8 years ago.

Some active anti farang laws creeped in.

Be it additional charges and more red tape.

Prices gradually rose.

And attitudes shifted.

Political changes and usual confrontations finally gave birth to an entrenched Junta .

Chinese propaganda worsened .

Beach pollution increased.

Infra structure strained .

Xenophobic and nationalistic over tones crept to.

Finally the realisation this place is sliding not ascending took hold.

The junta though navigable for now is getting to the point it's not a predictable outcome.

There are now cheaper , quieter places without concerns of state .

And the pollution far less.

Thailand took a wrong turn.

Advisors said its likely to burn down the track .

So I sold investments and left.

I can report some lovely spots in Laos near by and it's. very peaceful , cheaper, and some charming people.

And you are welcome.

The smiles are not as worn out.

And you don't hear the constant ""farang "" slur .

( and the tones don't mask the racism in their voice)

Thailand was a mystery and a great adventure .

But it's more like an aged ex you run into on the street.

And pay some respects to but walk away thinking you did the right thing.

And hasn't she ""aged"" on your mind

It was a risk when you look back

post-219560-0-81506900-1452289516_thumb.

Quite honestly, I think the majority of posts here give a really good insight into how many people feel about Thailand. I don't think anyone is all right or all wrong on the subject of Thailand being a great place to live in retirement. Each person has a unique personality which gives rise to their feelings about Thailand as a good or bad place. Obviously the article used some criteria which never addresses the darker side of the "real deal" about actual living situations. For the most part, as much as I have visited Thailand, I realize it is not the place for me. The two major factors for me are (1) the weather. Only decent for me between about Nov to February. That's a personal preference. (2) the fact that I have never felt that I am anything but a "farang" in Thailand. Not to say that I have not been treated with mostly respect and courtesy, but farangs to the majority of Thais are still farangs, be that good or bad. Many of the farangs I know living in Thailand are in a complete bubble, which in many ways, I envy. But they I think they seem to be in a bubble where ever they might be. They are so involved with their own self interests to think very deeply about those around them providing services and goods and how they live. They can be progressive Democrats in the US but when in Thailand seem to be unconcerned about the Thais around them and how those people eek out a living. So this all gets down to a persons take on being oblivious to the goings on around them. No doubt many people find the lifestyle in Thailand great as it puts many in a class they would not be apart of in their home countries. So the article about Thailand being a great place to live really does not deal with some of the other realities. Mostly says you can get the goods you need for your western lifestyle and live reasonably well on a pension.

Archived