Tortilla Chips

Lumina Caelum

Has anyone come across corn tortilla chips, like at Tesco or Big C? I plan on making vegetarian nachos but my parents haven't found any yet at our local stores or maybe they didn't look hard enough.

But anyway, has anyone bought any good quality tortilla chips from their local store?

I prefer fresh-made tortilla chips. But if you don't have a source...

If you have a Central Mall with a TOPS they tend to carry a small selection of western foods, including corn tortilla chips.

They're a bit thick/heavy for my liking.

post-146535-0-06598300-1452248364_thumb.

Where do you buy the proper ingredients to make "fresh" corn tortillas. Flour tortillas - no problem, but corn tortillas?

El Charro brand. You can get them already made. Or buy them frozen. I get them at Makro. If you look for the frozen ones they look like frozen corn tortillas but on closer inspection they are all pre cut. This was you can use a healthier oil when you fry them.

also Villa Market stocks a wide range of Corn Chips and some are ok. Danitas are a bit commercial or tasteless for my liking, but just suffice if nothing else available.

Problem I find is when you open a pack there are many broken / crushed corn chips in a pack. Have others found this problem ?

The only way to prevent that would be to have a cardboard box type of packaging so damage is minimal.

Where do you buy the proper ingredients to make "fresh" corn tortillas. Flour tortillas - no problem, but corn tortillas?

I had a care package of ready-to-mix masa sent.

But there have been Topic Threads here on ThaiVisa about making your own Corn Masa

Started by kikoman, 2013-08-25 17:02 -- 92 replies
Started by phuketguyhere74, 2013-05-05 11:14
Started by jaideeguy, 2010-04-11 15:16

Started by Jimmyd, 2009-01-25 20:32

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a Central Mall with a TOPS they tend to carry a small selection of western foods, including corn tortilla chips.

They're a bit thick/heavy for my liking.

attachicon.gif8850575002136.jpg

I'm with ya on the bit too thick, with a slightly odd taste.

However the alternative of making my own is a bit too daunting. Masa is impossible to find here, and I know my Mom used to make it at home when I was a kid, but it's beyond my level of 'can I be bothered'.

So thick they may well be, but with my homemade salsa, can deal with it

Archived