Thailand earned 2 trillion baht in tourism revenue last year

webfact

Thailand earned 2 trillion baht in tourism revenue last year

BANGKOK, 8 January 2016 (NNT)-Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to raise tourists’ confidence of their trip to Thailand by setting up a one-stop service center.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul reported to the Cabinet meeting that tourism generated 2 trillion baht in revenue to the country last year. The figure was higher than what the ministry had expected.

The meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha who stressed the need to ensure tourists’ safety, promote locally made products and set up the one stop service to cater to all tourists’ needs.

Minister Kobkarn said the Ministry also met a success in introducing a traditional tourism concept to foreign visitors through the “12 cities to visit” campaign. The revenue increased on an average of 13% compared to the year earlier. The tourists’ spending increased to 5,050 baht per day per person from previously 4,500 baht.

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports will launch a similar campaign called 12 cities to visit plus. More tourist attractions within the vicinity of the 12 cities will be introduced in an attempt to increase their popularity.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-08 footer_n.gif

Well knock me down with a feather, this is very impressive figures if they are accurate. Singapore with 15M tourists earned about 600B and Malaysia with about the same tourist numbers earned about 250B. In fact, this is too good to be true numbers even if our tourist arrivals more than double these peer countries. Massive massaging.

....does lying on one's back constitute 'earning'....

...of course they do not factor in the tax-free overcharging .......etc.......

Ahhh, spoken like a true knowledge filled gentleman.

You must have wonderful companions in your dreamy life.

As a tourist, I have never asked myself the question, "Where is the one-stop service center for tourists?"

In fact, I hate being "guided" to the same damn 12 attractions as every other tourist. My wife and I just spent 9 days in Phuket. I refused to pay any attention to the tourism booths spaced apart approximately every 20 meters on every Soi and alley.

We rented a scooter, and I turned on Google maps. It was a blast navigating a Honda Click up the back way to the Big Buddha on the same rutted dirt roads as the ATVs. My wife got a free ATV ride as well, as her confidence in my moto-crossing skills was a bit lacking. whistling.gif

The tourism revenue numbers are pure fiction - impossible to know and impossible for anyone to check. This comes from the Minister that counts all arrivals as tourists.

And counts not the substantial sum of grey and black money transferring hands in those (cough cough) Massage shops

hmmm 2 Trillion Baht is approx. 58 Billion USD?

If we believe that the Thai GNP is approx. 404 Billion USD http://data.worldbank.org/country/thailand

then it seems that official Tourism industry, not counting the grey areas mentioned by other posters, is responsible for 14 per cent of Thai GNP

and still not worth improvement and investment?

If I've done the sums right..based on 30 million visitors !!, that's about average of just under £1260 pounds per visitor...that' sounds very high as many of the arrivals will be in and out and spend hardly anything in the Kingdom....any thoughts ??

I seem to remember from past articles that this figures also includes expenditure from domestic tourism, though how they can actually measure this still surprises me.

In fact how can any country achieve a vaguely accurate figure of how much tourists spend? It must be almost total guesswork based upon arrival numbers, days spent in the Kingdom and maybe statistics from surveys and from the major hotel associations.

Any economists out there with any real ideas?

Archived