British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

Will this be a drug OD? who knows what went on very suspicious due to lack of any detail.

Maybe police are wary about releasing detail , some one must have been with him, again we don't know nothing yet.

Burmese beware, better that you all leave Koh Tao.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is this news? People die everywhere - young, old, any nationality. Drugs, alcohol, car accidents, natural causes.

When a poster can produce meaningful data, such as a statistic that indicates a Brit is ten times more likely to die on Koh Tao than on the Thai mainland, I might pay attention. So far, all I see in this thread are fevered imaginations and well-meant condolences for someone not even known to the poster.

I'm Australian, 72. If I die in Chiang Mai, I don't expect headlines.coffee1.gif

If you take age into account the picture changes dramatically: there are many retirees dying in Thailand, but this is not out of the ordinary as these people are expected to be dying (of old age). Sorry if that sounds callous but it is undeniably true.

However, the many deaths on KT are without fail people in their 20s, people who are supposedly on the island for sporting activities, granted diving is a dangerous sporting activity but here's the thing - almost no deaths reported are associated with diving.

Enough reason to think all is not right? But you dare not whisper anything which may disrupt the flow of USD into the hands of organised crime. TAT are their marketing agents.

This is Thailand.

RIP. Looks like the lad like to party hard and his death was probably a result of this. Never the less more bad press for Koh Tao. Before people start screaming "It could happen anywhere"

It couldnt! There are obviously other places like Koh Tao that flaunt cheap alcohol and drugs but with all the media attention and reports of lawlessness you would think they would try to clean the place up a bit.

30 million tourist visit Thailand each year.

So IMO no staggering overkill, except........

Someone doesn't suppose to die between 25 & 60 the majority of deaths in Thailand.

Source?

How about reading TV daily?

My sincere condolences to the family& lovedones of the gentleman deceased.

RIP

was probably an accident of some sort. Drowning maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the total assumptions with no basis starts....

Not so when you see his face book link showing himself drinking and partying to the max and on a mission to get good and wasted on alcohol and drugs while here in Thailand.

Without a doubt, drinking in excess and trying all the locally available drugs and basically hanging out with the wild bunch will greatly increase your chances of something bad happening whether it be of your own doing or perpetrated upon you when you are drinking to the max and drugged out ....and thoroughly wasted..as they say.

I hope it was something innocent that did put him to rest ........but he would not be the first young tourist to come to Thailand and end up dead from excessive drinking and drug consumption.

RIP

Death Island strikes again

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

Based on what. With (tens of) thousands of active people at any time seems to me the reported death rate is very low. Would expect several a year from accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc

You forgot being pushed off balconies, being raped and getting chopped up

Really, well how about all those morons jumping of building because their Thai bar girl is cheating on them... This forum is becoming a i HATE thailand page, with burnt farang.. Australia has as many tourist dyeing from being bashed, raped and so on.........

Why is this news? People die everywhere - young, old, any nationality. Drugs, alcohol, car accidents, natural causes.

When a poster can produce meaningful data, such as a statistic that indicates a Brit is ten times more likely to die on Koh Tao than on the Thai mainland, I might pay attention. So far, all I see in this thread are fevered imaginations and well-meant condolences for someone not even known to the poster.

I'm Australian, 72. If I die in Chiang Mai, I don't expect headlines.coffee1.gif

It's news because it's Koh Tao, just the most infamous island in Thailand right now.

Dream: Koh Tao is been sold world wide as a paradise island from the 30's.

Reality: Paradise island attracting millions of young people from all over the world. Drugs, full moon, and alcohol

SOMETHING IS BOUND TO GO WRONG.

His sister has set up a gofundmepage to get him home. Get Luke Miller Back Home.

Consult the monks, pick a good day to burn him, send the ashes home express courier and have a wake.

I can't see any sense in the huge expense of shipping a body back overseas.

Any reports of shiploads of migrant workers leaving the island so far?

Local BIB probably keep several in custody for situations just like this.

Or they are doing a head count of migrant workers to see who best to pin it on. No details of the death will be forthcoming until possible suspect chosen.

If I am not wrong this is his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/luke.miller.319?fref=ts

This was his last post December 31st:

"Can honestly say this new year I am living the dream of to the full moon party on a speed boat drink cocktails strawberry daiquiris living life to the full yolo so let's do this"

and this his second last December 30th:

" What a 2 day bender on mushroom shakes shit has gone down lol loving life"

We can expect the Koh Tao truthers to come out soon claiming that Nomsod was on the island again.....

smile emoticon

Magic mushroom shakes, 2 day bender, this stinks of drugs and booze overdose

Seems to me this young man was 'enjoying life to the full'. I remember those days back in the long distant past and sometimes wonder how I survived. Let's wait for more information before we jump to conclusions. If his reported Facebook posts are anything to go by, it may well prove to be 'natural' causes. RIP.

If he was, as indicated on his FB page, having a bender, and it was related to the drug concoction mentioned, then one would hardly relate his death to natural causes.

His sister has set up a gofundmepage to get him home. Get Luke Miller Back Home.

Consult the monks, pick a good day to burn him, send the ashes home express courier and have a wake.

No travel insurance I suppose? The junta needs to tighten up on this as well. No insurance no visa upon arrival.

Man found dead in Thailand believed to be from Isle of Wight
SURAT THANI:-- A MAN believed to be from the Isle of Wight has been found dead in Thailand.
In a statement by the Foreign Office, a spokesman said: "We are providing assistance to the family of a British national who died in Koh Tao, Thailand.

Peskey Burmese again!! must have slipped out of custody when know one was looking.

No travel insurance I suppose? The junta needs to tighten up on this as well. No insurance no visa upon arrival.

Why do you need to raise this, a guy has died, why bring up something irrelevant, it has nothing to do with the op.

OMG

Just had a look at his facebook page and he spoke to his mom on the 30th Dec assuring her he would keep safe as she was worried about him. This is tragic. RIP and my thoughts are now with the families.

His dream vacation in Thailand has come to an end, now whether that be from an overdose or something else there is not enough info as yet. The families deserve a detailed and transparent investigation. I hope they get it this time. This is one too many now and even if it turns out to be through a drugs overdose its still outrageous that these drugs are so openly sold in KT despite the promised crackdowns.

Buy my drugs and die its up to you, not my fault............as long as my tourist dollars keep flowing in we dont give a s#it

He, you can say no to drugs or even alcohol. Where there is demand there is supply.

Archived