British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

Death Island strikes again

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

Based on what. With (tens of) thousands of active people at any time seems to me the reported death rate is very low. Would expect several a year from accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc

You forgot being pushed off balconies, being raped and getting chopped up

And hanging yourself with your hands tied behind your back !

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His sister has set up a gofundmepage to get him home. Get Luke Miller Back Home.

Correcting myself here as it was a friend that put up the fundraising page. His sister commented. Sounds like an unfortunate incident. He was very much loved. RIP young man.

Unfortunately, the ready access to drugs on this island could have led this unfortunate to overdose (see FB page for details of his NY bender). About time the junta clamp down hard once and for all.

Being realistic, I guess these mafia run businesses which generate billions of baht are untouchable. Where is a Thai Eliot Ness, when you need him?

I am going to admit I haven't visited his FB page because I don't really wish to see a dead guys page who has passed so recently, but I have heard he had been using mushrooms, you cannot overdose in a deadly way on mushrooms if they are actually non-toxic, and those shakes aren't as they are often P.Cubensis. Was there other usage of drugs on his page?

'The full circumstances surrounding the death are currently unknown'

Don't worry! They won't remain unknown very long, Thaivisa is home to the best self proclaimed detectives, lawyers and judges in the universe. They can solve all cases, even without clues, witnesses or evidence .giggle.gif

Death shouldn't be who anyone meets on The Trip Of A Lifetime...

Who did he meet? I didnt find anything in the article that says he met someone or are you guessing what happened like so many others.

I think you missed the point... "Death shouldn't be who anyone meets," to make it easier, he met "Death."

Not to downplay the tragic nature of this event, because it is tragic and harsh, the reality and nature of life is that death is something we should all meet and all have to accept at some point. If we say 10 years old, 20 years old, 30 whatever is too young to die and attach to this idea, then we will never fully accept our own demise and those of others. This is not being cold or cynical, rather being wise and realistic.

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

http://www.farang-deaths.com/

One problem with the chart - it's based upon official data. Nowhere near the truth.

Unfortunately, the ready access to drugs on this island could have led this unfortunate to overdose (see FB page for details of his NY bender). About time the junta clamp down hard once and for all.

Being realistic, I guess these mafia run businesses which generate billions of baht are untouchable. Where is a Thai Eliot Ness, when you need him?

I am going to admit I haven't visited his FB page because I don't really wish to see a dead guys page who has passed so recently, but I have heard he had been using mushrooms, you cannot overdose in a deadly way on mushrooms if they are actually non-toxic, and those shakes aren't as they are often P.Cubensis. Was there other usage of drugs on his page?

If you consider alcohol a drug yes and he does come across as a party animal - possibly binge drinking although I do not wish to speculate too much. Someone else reported he was found drowned in the pool (no confirmation). You can indeed not overdose on magic mushrooms but you can get very unwell -in particular if consumed in combination with alcohol. Draw your own conclusions....

The poor kid is dead.

How about we treat him with some respect rather than using him as a stick to prop up an argument?

Sorry, but i have no respect for anyone who has to take drugs to enjoy life as this young man was claiming !

If you consider alcohol a drug yes and he does come across as a party animal - possibly binge drinking although I do not wish to speculate too much. Someone else reported he was found drowned in the pool (no confirmation). You can indeed not overdose on magic mushrooms but you can get very unwell -in particular if consumed in combination with alcohol. Draw your own conclusions....

Yeah alcohol is a drug and one of the most deadly and problematic ones out there. The guy could have had 10 mushie shakes on their own and may have had an accident but otherwise would have at worse had a very tormented few hours with sickness and a reflective next few days. But if he has been on the sauce as much as you suggest from his posts then personally I think that it was a recipe for disaster considering where he was and his lack of knowledge of the country. Sad story and I just urge tourists to stay away from such islands, sure many come away with an amazing experience but imho it is not worth it. Not to mention I would not give a single baht to the entire system that operates down there

sounds like this time the local authorities will not issue any comment until they all agree on the same story so as not to contradict each other every 5 minutes

Yeah, I agree. Looks like they might have learned a thing or two. For better or worse. Ofcourse the speculation obviously doesn't stop. Atleast innocent people are not being called murderers (yet)

Notice: any Burmese nationals currently in Koh Tao - LEAVE IMMEDIATELY !

For Sure the two boys killed him ,yes the ones in Prison ,got out in the night ,somehow return to prison in the morning ,why do people go there ,

Are you fair dinkum or is this your attempt at being funny or can we just put it down to being plain (...............................) Fill in the space with whatever you feel is appropriate.

If you look on his (Luke Miller) facebook page you will see he was travelling with his mate James Gissing. If you go to James' page you will see a picture posted of himself two days ago which says it all : living on the edge....

PS I'm not posting any links or the actual pictures.

Sad reality is that drugs are freely available nationwide and not just the islands to a person/people that are intent to party with them. Islands get more attention because people's mind's relate more easily to the use of drugs and party making tourists. However, it happens everywhere, and is more widespread than most can comprehend.

That is assuming that the death is drug related, which may be a big assumption.

I strongly agree with drugs being clamped down upon, but governments have to be careful how they address it after the last (first) attempt by a prime minister that is no longer with us.

'The full circumstances surrounding the death are currently unknown'

Don't worry! They won't remain unknown very long, Thaivisa is home to the best self proclaimed detectives, lawyers and judges in the universe. They can solve all cases, even without clues, witnesses or evidence .giggle.gif

And not to mention the highly efficient Police DNA testing facility.

"They" can't "clean the place up a bit".

The island's owners are too powerful.

There is no such thing as 'can't'.

On the islands, they are big fish in little ponds but in the overall picture, they are minnows in an ocean.

If the government wanted, they (the islands) could be cleaned up easily. All that would be needed would be indisputable proof of wrong doing instead of endless speculation..............................wink.png

Sadly with so little information I am not surprised some people are highly suspicious of a cover up, it seems this happened well over 12 hours ago... yet no one knows if he was found dead in his room, the sea, where I would have thought that some people would have heard some rumours by now other than a FB account of someone who may be the deceased.

Chances are this was an accident or self inflicted...

http://www.farang-deaths.com/

One problem with the chart - it's based upon official data. Nowhere near the truth.

Sure more accurate than any polls about corruption, happiness,

tourism or economy we are getting from the different government

agencies.

I'm aware it's not as complete as it could be but at least,

it shows some kind of indication, some kind of trend.

Those fatalities have been researched and are not just based

on wild speculations and conspiracy theories like most of the

obscure postings of TV members.

Unlike the Thai Government or our Embassies, at least there is

someone who tries to shed some light, not very bright but at least

it's a candle in the dark.

If you look on his (Luke Miller) facebook page you will see he was travelling with his mate James Gissing. If you go to James' page you will see a picture posted of himself two days ago which says it all : living on the edge....

Says it all.........what are you insinuating? Its his own fault? Instead of taking one photo out of context take a look at the bigger picture and head to Nichola Gissing facebook page where you'll see the other photos of a normal fun filled holiday that has been cut short tragically and until we have further information from the media which locally is being remarkably quiet on this, I think we should not make assumptons of his lifestyle as being the cause of this.

Sadly with so little information I am not surprised some people are highly suspicious of a cover up, it seems this happened well over 12 hours ago... yet no one knows if he was found dead in his room, the sea, where I would have thought that some people would have heard some rumours by now other than a FB account of someone who may be the deceased.

Chances are this was an accident or self inflicted...

Most likely. However I wouldn't exclude the possibility that the lad was doing some sort of his own 'undercover' investigation. Asking too many questions can get you killed in some parts of the world. Anyway deceased young man shared the surname with more 'famous' victim David Miller. In any case another waste of life. We can blame it on Koh Tao death island, but there are plenty of our tour operators/travel agencies which keep advertising and selling packages for Koh Tao as some sort of paradise holiday for youngsters. At the end of the day, it's all about money. Neither Thais nor our governments care much about lost lives.

Says it all.........what are you insinuating? Its his own fault? Instead of taking one photo out of context take a look at the bigger picture and head to Nichola Gissing facebook page where you'll see the other photos of a normal fun filled holiday that has been cut short tragically and until we have further information from the media which locally is being remarkably quiet on this, I think we should not make assumptons of his lifestyle as being the cause of this.

His entire point and agenda is that the death is not the fault of Koh Tao or any Koh Tao locals which is why he has so staunchly launched to the defense before any accusations even came about. His tag team partner will be along soon to help muddy the waters over any real facts about the guy's death.

For Sure the two boys killed him ,yes the ones in Prison ,got out in the night ,somehow return to prison in the morning ,why do people go there ,

Do you take medication?

His entire point and agenda is that the death is not the fault of Koh Tao or any Koh Tao locals which is why he has so staunchly launched to the defense before any accusations even came about. His tag team partner will be along soon to help muddy the waters over any real facts about the guy's death.

Spot on! Keep us informed about the "real" facts and evidence.

Archived