British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look on his (Luke Miller) facebook page you will see he was travelling with his mate James Gissing. If you go to James' page you will see a picture posted of himself two days ago which says it all : living on the edge....

PS I'm not posting any links or the actual pictures.

Says it all.........what are you insinuating? Its his own fault? Instead of taking one photo out of context take a look at the bigger picture and head to Nichola Gissing facebook page where you'll see the other photos of a normal fun filled holiday that has been cut short tragically and until we have further information from the media which locally is being remarkably quiet on this, I think we should not make assumptons of his lifestyle as being the cause of this.

His entire point and agenda is that the death is not the fault of Koh Tao or any Koh Tao locals which is why he has so staunchly launched to the defense before any accusations even came about. His tag team partner will be along soon to help muddy the waters over any real facts about the guy's death.

Spot on! Keep us informed about the "real" facts and evidence.

Absolutely zero facts or evidence have come out yet and you've already posted like 7 times in this thread. Just proves your bias and agenda to Death Island whatever really happened to this guy.

Death Island strikes again

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

Based on what. With (tens of) thousands of active people at any time seems to me the reported death rate is very low. Would expect several a year from accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc

You forgot being pushed off balconies, being raped and getting chopped up

or as there known here "natural causes"

The conspiracy theorists and CSI LA will love this , I am sure the names Mon and Nomsod will come up soon . This guy was addicted to drugs and "mushroom shakes" .

The local police on KT should be very careful how they report this incident to the media, thats why little has been released yet.

The number of deaths in Thailand for UK nationals alone if just under one per day. In my long time in Thailand I have known several of them. With the huge ammount of Britons either holidaying, working or retired here the number that die is going to be commensurate with the number that are here. The overwhelming majority will be from health issues and accident without any suspicious circumstances at all. To suggest that the death of a holidaymaker is another nail in a country or a place's tourist industry is absurd. And I am afraid that even healthy young people die from something like heart attack out of the blue. Ask a doctor.

Hard to understand your post Carter.

It has been reported many times over that the death toll of Brits in Thailand is 21 times the death toll of Brits in France on a percentage basis. Many are motorbike tragedies, some are drugs related and some are murdered. Death of a person before their time is tragic but there is something unique about Thailand's road toll combined with availability of drugs. Then there have been the Chiang Mai and Koh Tao murders plus assisted suicides. It is a horror show. The bottom line maybe man's unquenched desire to see how much he can survive. Many tragedies cannot be followed up because in Thailand the DNA goes stale or starts to ferment after a short while which would be a scientific impossibility in any other part of the world.

You can be assured that the British Foreign Office will try to keep a tight lid on this for fear of upsetting the country of Thailand and mayhem will continue.

but Carter the number is not commensurate with Brits in other parts it is different by a factor of 21 times.

The conspiracy theorists and CSI LA will love this , I am sure the names Mon and Nomsod will come up soon . This guy was addicted to drugs and "mushroom shakes" .

The local police on KT should be very careful how they report this incident to the media, thats why little has been released yet.

So far it is only the Koh Tao loyalists who are going through the same motions and speculations. This thread is good for exposing frauds and liars.

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

Based on what. With (tens of) thousands of active people at any time seems to me the reported death rate is very low. Would expect several a year from accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc

Death rate is very low?! Young people seem to meet with misdventure there with stunning regularity!

Why is this news? People die everywhere - young, old, any nationality. Drugs, alcohol, car accidents, natural causes.

When a poster can produce meaningful data, such as a statistic that indicates a Brit is ten times more likely to die on Koh Tao than on the Thai mainland, I might pay attention. So far, all I see in this thread are fevered imaginations and well-meant condolences for someone not even known to the poster.

I'm Australian, 72. If I die in Chiang Mai, I don't expect headlines.coffee1.gif

Australians never die, they just move the party to another dimension. wink.png

I too am surprised to hear that Aussies die, I thought they just moved the cricket pitch ever closer to the barbie.

It is probably prudent to leave speculation aside until the RTP have made an official statement. Given the manure storm that ensued after the Witheridge and Miller murders, I suspect the RTP will be keeping a tight lid on what is said and who says what. Or maybe not. We shall see.

One problem with the chart - it's based upon official data. Nowhere near the truth.

Sure more accurate than any polls about corruption, happiness,

tourism or economy we are getting from the different government

agencies.

I'm aware it's not as complete as it could be but at least,

it shows some kind of indication, some kind of trend.

Those fatalities have been researched and are not just based

on wild speculations and conspiracy theories like most of the

obscure postings of TV members.

Unlike the Thai Government or our Embassies, at least there is

someone who tries to shed some light, not very bright but at least

it's a candle in the dark.

The problem I have is these figures show separate alcohol and drug related deaths, so it appears only a small number of deaths are alcohol related - but the opposite is definitely true!

post-41405-0-28711000-1452331075_thumb.j

'Unexplained', Motorcycle accident and swimming/diving related add up to 45% - how many of those involved intoxicated people? My guess is 80% or more.

Throw suicide and murder victims in and more than 60% of deaths in Thailand could be alcohol related.

Definitely more than 4% are drug related - just one 'bus plunge' with a hopped up (Thai) bus driver can cause 25 deaths...

And, as I said the official reasons for death are provided by the authorities so even more likely to be ahem... massaged.

wai.gif

More world class reporting.

Can't even say where he was found, in what condition and by who. It was useless to read the article since there was no more information in the article than was in the headline.

Yes, why bother - just put Koh Tao in the spotlight again. News Flash! "Dead" and "Koh Tao" That should get the ball rolling again!

Death shouldn't be who anyone meets on The Trip Of A Lifetime...

Who did he meet? I didnt find anything in the article that says he met someone or are you guessing what happened like so many others.

I think you missed the point... "Death shouldn't be who anyone meets," to make it easier, he met "Death."

Not to downplay the tragic nature of this event, because it is tragic and harsh, the reality and nature of life is that death is something we should all meet and all have to accept at some point. If we say 10 years old, 20 years old, 30 whatever is too young to die and attach to this idea, then we will never fully accept our own demise and those of others. This is not being cold or cynical, rather being wise and realistic.

I have no idea what you are on about, it has nothing to do with my comment, or the one I was replying to. I guess you just had something to say.

RIP

was probably an accident of some sort. Drowning maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the total assumptions with no basis starts....

As do the sarcastic replies with no value. TITV ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, but it does, it makes fun of those who know nothing about the case, yet spout unsubstantiated bull.

The poor kid is dead.

How about we treat him with some respect rather than using him as a stick to prop up an argument?

Sorry, but i have no respect for anyone who has to take drugs to enjoy life as this young man was claiming !

I sincerely hope you don't drink alcohol or smoke, both are drugs and kill more people than any other drug.

RIP.

Young people "living the life" please learn from his terrible experience, whatever his cause of death.

What an inane comment! What are they supposed to learn when there are no facts available? Or do you mean "stop living the life"? Doh!

Unfair to speculate given the facts haven't come out.

Yet understandable also for the same reason.

After all there are murderers living there above the law who seemingly can kill with impunity and hide behind their cowardly friends.

Really hope this is just an accident. RIP young man.

CSI LA is still sleeping. He did post 6 hrs ago and did mention he thought it was drug related .

We will learn about the cause of death very soon I guess........drugs, alcohol and a nearby pool have killed many people in the past all over the world. Then again it could be anything, a fight, a murder or whatever. With David & Hannah at least we knew who did it, as Sean posted, "owner of AC bar did it" . Of course he meant IF he was found dead......sure, right? One thing is for sure, if you are Burmese you should be VERY SCARED right now.

Due to events on that island over the last year then of course people will speculate. I will wait until more is known about this case before commenting. It would be foolish to comment otherwise (and I am firmly in the belief that the B2 have been framed BTW, but there is way, way more context there).

I am surprised that the police did not call this death a suicide. Glad he had three friends to tell of his good character. More death in the land of smiles than smiles recently! Rob, pick pocket. drug and kill with no feelings. Tourist should be warned about Thailand by there governments. And they all should have red flags!

Not to downplay the tragic nature of this event, because it is tragic and harsh, the reality and nature of life is that death is something we should all meet and all have to accept at some point. If we say 10 years old, 20 years old, 30 whatever is too young to die and attach to this idea, then we will never fully accept our own demise and those of others. This is not being cold or cynical, rather being wise and realistic.

Who did he meet? I didnt find anything in the article that says he met someone or are you guessing what happened like so many others.

I think you missed the point... "Death shouldn't be who anyone meets," to make it easier, he met "Death."

I have no idea what you are on about, it has nothing to do with my comment, or the one I was replying to. I guess you just had something to say.

I was dashing out and misread it; I read that you were implying something along the lines that nobody should have to meet death lol. My bad

RIP.

Young people "living the life" please learn from his terrible experience, whatever his cause of death.

What an inane comment! What are they supposed to learn when there are no facts available? Or do you mean "stop living the life"? Doh!

no facts? drinking is dangerous. the behavior expressed on his facebook page is potentially dangerous. Thailand can be dangerous. Koh Tao has a history of attracting young people who want to party and has drugs available for them. There are no legal limits on selling alcohol no matter how drunk you become. Koh Tao has a history of preying on tourists. third world emergency medical response. the dangerous illusion propagated by the Thai government that Thailand is a safe place.

the exact "facts" of this poor young mans experience in rooted in the framework of this reality.

so young people, please learn from his terrible experience, whatever his cause of death.

That may well be true in some parts of Thailand however the deaths of younger people in Koh Tao, Samui and Phuket are way above what would be normal.

Young British kids go on booze holidays to Spain in their 100's of thousands and have a minimal death rate.

How long before the police say something and I presume the crime scene is cordoned off with a 24 hours guard.

RIP.

no facts? drinking is dangerous. the behavior expressed on his facebook page is potentially dangerous. Thailand can be dangerous. Koh Tao has a history of attracting young people who want to party and has drugs available for them. There are no legal limits on selling alcohol no matter how drunk you become. Koh Tao has a history of preying on tourists. third world emergency medical response. the dangerous illusion propagated by the Thai government that Thailand is a safe place.

the exact "facts" of this poor young mans experience in rooted in the framework of this reality.

so young people, please learn from his terrible experience, whatever his cause of death.

"Drinking is dangerous"? That says it all, so there is no point in me commenting further to you. Have a very nice sober day!

Although Ko Tao had a lot of strange things happening, it's unfair to single it out or suggest that the police is incompetent there.

For example:

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/142166/two-bodies-found-near-abandoned-catamaran-close-to-pattaya-island/

Apparently, although not included in the link above, it was stated by Police shortly after, that it was a suicide and decapitation by fish - not an uncommon thing, according to them.

So therefore accidents do happen, it's unfair to speculate at this stage until further information is provided as someone said before, maybe Mon day.

PS: Some conspiracy theorists would obviously speculate that they had their heads cut off, but as far as I know, Pattaya is a decent place so would not imagine that happening there.

Slightly off topic, we will get back on topic shortly with other cases of interest, such as "falling off a cliff / had his head smashed and then drowned", "chest infections" and "suicide by hanging with hands tied behind his back".

Have a great day.

RIP.

"Drinking is dangerous"? That says it all about your attitude, so there is no point in having further discussion with you - have a nice sober day!

Lots of leaping to conclusions. Yeah he admitted to taking drugs but so do thousands of other visitors who don't die.

Could be murder but it could also be as simple as an electric shock in a swimming pool as has happened to other people.

Let's wait for the facts to come out.

I am surprised that the police did not call this death a suicide. Glad he had three friends to tell of his good character. More death in the land of smiles than smiles recently! Rob, pick pocket. drug and kill with no feelings. Tourist should be warned about Thailand by there governments. And they all should have red flags!

Tourists should be warned about standing on balconies,never mind being pushed off- have a look on facebook at the photos of James Gissing, Luke Miller's friend, and the comments of his sister-Balls or stupidity saff I'm not too sure

plus the jokes about smack- some tourists need a red flag put in front of them- drugs, steep slopes and the sea can be dangerous.

Archived