Digital TV requirements

Sutty

Bit of back ground have sat dish (true vision) have TV dtv ready. No normal arieal.

Question is do I need a set top box to be able to pick up thai free to view TV through the sat dish, have tried ie fitted cable fro sat dish to tv tried to tune nothing. So any help regarding this would be good don't want if possible to put an arieal up. Reason getting shut of true vision and have to hand back all equipment cheers

Of course you need a set-top box except for the few TVs with a built in satellite receiver (unlikely).

Did you put a normal coax connector to the wire from the dish and connect to the aerial input?

That will do nothing!

have TV dtv ready

DTV sounds like terrestial digital TV. Different technology.

Yes you need a digital set top box and aerial (your old sat dish may work as an aerial if your in a strong signal area).

You may want to think though about using an android based Internet set top box. That will give you access to "ilikehd" (all of true programs at a fraction of the cost) "iflix" (thousands of movies and series, similar to "Netflix", 100 baht a month) as well as many free to watch streaming set ups, too many to mention. And not forgetting for the good old music, movie, and other stuff .. YouTube ... all quickly accessible through your tv.

You can browse through various boxes and prices at .. lazada.com

post-223871-14523114984548_thumb.jpg

PLEASE: do not add more (internet) to the already existing confusion!

The OP says he has a satellite dish (labeled TrueVision). Presumbably a small (75 cm) thing directed to the Thaicom satellites at 78.5°, Ku band.

Used up to recently used for paid subscription.

He now wants to pick up Thai free to view TV through the sat dish.

For that a satellite receiver (set-top box) is necessary.

To pickup the free Thai TV channels via TrueVision you need a special type (as far as I remember).

With such devices the free channels are de-crypted without subscription.

Go to a specialized dealer and explain the situation.

Receivers are fairly cheap, couple of hundred Baht.

Of course you need a set-top box except for the few TVs with a built in satellite receiver (unlikely).

Did you put a normal coax connector to the wire from the dish and connect to the aerial input?

That will do nothing!

have TV dtv ready

DTV sounds like terrestial digital TV. Different technology.

1. DTV ready? In normal speak this has the meaning it can work with extra equipment (does not actually have a DTV tuner installed). But if it does all it needs is an antenna for land transmissions if within service distance of a transmitter - the sat dish would not be required.

2. Sat dish is most likely Ku Band so would provide about 3 times the number of free stations as DTV by land using a PSI/GMMZ/TRUE set top box. Advantage using current dish/wire but extra control for watching TV/channels. Only small cost for such box however - and you have the option to add pay stations at any time in future.

Sorted bought 3 set top boxes yesterday (1500 for 3) (tuk com KK) all up and running. Shop did try selling me an android box!!! Got me thinking so looked up this android box job seems to me like a waste you get bbc ect but not much else I have a Web site on laptop that gives me all UK tv and several film channels for free. Hook lap top to tv and away i go if this carries on ill understand all this new fangled tech soon !!!!NOT

Archived