30K cap. What is this?

Jimjim1968

Hey guys

I am not a teacher.

Haha, work for 30k THB a month and you have a degree.....

One would have to be desperate I reckon.

Yep OK I understand teacher dedication as my brother was a teacher in Australia but really, 30k THB!

I give my wife that for her found money and I pay everything else.

And I am a pensioner ..of sorts.

Haha what a joke. Would westerners ever even consider that?

Regards

Wow, you have to pay your wife that much per month to be your wife? I pity you.

I taught at a community college in the USA for 23 years and I came to Thailand for a new teaching adventure, not for money.

Perhaps everyone in your world is a whore, but not everyone in the world is a whore.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are many of them actually worth 30k? Thai teachers have to work years to get on that rate.

I think you would be surprised how much some Thai teachers earn. It's a job for life with a pay increase annually. I'm a little fed up with the idea that Thai people earn very little. Just look at all the big new houses being built everywhere and all the new fortuners, BMW's and Mercedes on the road. Around my non tourist area there are lots of these on red plates.

In virtually every industry or field you could think of, Thailand is far more price-focused and far less quality-focused than other countries with comparable per capita income and stage of development.

Why would teaching be any different?

Hey guys

I am not a teacher.

Yep OK I understand teacher dedication as my brother was a teacher in Australia but really, 30k THB!

Regards

maybe your the joke nuddy. Some of us didnt marry a bar girl and most of us dont have to give our wife any money let alone 30k a month. Old fool on bar stool...

Hey guys

I am not a teacher.

Regards

maybe your the joke nuddy. Some of us didnt marry a bar girl and most of us dont have to give our wife any money let alone 30k a month. Old fool on bar stool...

30K a month to your wife? And you pay for everything else? Just wondering what other Westerners would even consider that, sounds like you are being taken for a ride in more ways than one, if you get my drift.

OR ..., was she runner-up Miss Thailand 2010?

I am so happy that I don't have to teach in Thailand anymore. Nothing more than a banana Republic. The place is quickly going to the dogs.

I agree, but it's not the kids fault, many want to learn. Please don't deny them that right.

I am so happy that I don't have to teach in Thailand anymore. Nothing more than a banana Republic. The place is quickly going to the dogs.

I agree, but it's not the kids fault, many want to learn. Please don't deny them that right.

Is that why I see so many of them in the shopping malls from when they open?

The problem is that culturally most Thais don't want to get ahead, with the exception being those of Chinese descent. In schools I have taught at you can almost bet the best and most diligent students will have that background. This is why Vietnam and China are so far ahead of Thailand in English language proficiency, a desire to better themselves economically.

Culturally most Thais are happy to go along merrily playing phone games and sending Line stickers....not much else is important, except eating maybe. Planning for English proficiency means planning a better future, thinking about money, savings, etc and most Thais avoid doing that...just too hard.

So you have to accept things as they are and not as you want them to be here. Stay and teach because you like it here, not because you will get rich.

Yes, they may be looking to reducing the number of foreign teachers from UK, America etc, so they may cap salaries in the future to 30k as stated. This was bought about by the recent discovery that many teachers working here without correct papers, qualifications and were far from professional etc.

I guess you couldn't argue with them given the quality of expat teachers in Thailand.

Exactly, if your skill amounts to being able to speak your native language, you're lucky to have a job.

I have never met a "Qualified Teacher" in Thailand.

I have no doubt there are a few hidden in expensive, private International schools.

The majority of "teachers" seem to be those without W/P's or appropriate visas.

The Thai authorities are justified in taking any and all steps needed to clear these unqualified impostors from Thai schools

Those who cannot obtain a Teaching post in their own country should be barred from "teaching" in Thailand.

Average household income is close to 26,000 thb per month in Thailand....if anyone is going to get a decent raise, it will be the Thai teachers.

Yes because the farang are always on the receiving end of life time employment and a pension, not with standing the chance of graft that comes with senior positions.

Blinkers anyone?

Responsible enough to care for 40 kids; but can't put 50 usd per month in an index fund, which would give you several times more than the Thai teacher pensions. Same goes for insisting on 12 paychecks per year, instead of 10 larger ones....kind of ironic that these are people trusted with educating young people.

I have no doubt there are a few hidden in expensive, private International schools.

The Thai authorities are justified in taking any and all steps needed to clear these unqualified impostors from Thai schools

Those who cannot obtain a Teaching post in their own country should be barred from "teaching" in Thailand.

I've met dozens. I've never met an unqualified one. I guess it depends who you hang out with.

I'm sure both kinds exist though. Why do some people struggle to understand that there are things outside their personal experience?

I've met dozens. I've never met an unqualified one. I guess it depends who you hang out with.

I'm sure both kinds exist though. Why do some people struggle to understand that there are things outside their personal experience?

Nearly everyone in my office has teaching qualification (not tefl), and this is not an international school :)

And maybe 30,000 a month will no longer be under the radar much longer as well. Thai revenue law wise. Thailand has the same test as most countries do, you are not taxed on your nationality but on whether you were or were not physically on Thai soil for 180 days or more, does not have to be contiguous. And don't forget, FATCA (the new USA law to combat money landering, drug trading and tax evasion) is a trend for all counries, and when Thailand signs onto a higher protocal, it will be even more imposing not just for Americans. Just added some more stuff on top of this for you because... Thailand's education system needs a really really big overhaul.... it's what hurts the country.. economically, politicially... and that means socially as well. And farlang who associate with it are not doing anything except freeing up civil service ajarn teaching schedules.

why would qualified western teachers want to to teach in non international Schools for a pittance in Thailand, when they could earn so much more at home and have a career instead of an insecure job going nowhere?

Have you ever worked in a US school system. Petty behaviors, 9 month contracts, non tenured staff have no protections. Every principal acts like a little Napoleon or Caesar. Plus working in urban schools in the US is like being a jail guard and working in suburban schools is like being a drug counselor, not to mention the fact that working as a teacher in the US is about the most boring place you can imagine. Shall I continue ?

Archived