30K cap. What is this?

Jimjim1968

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would bet a good number of expat teachers in Thailand have screwed themselves into not being able to return to their home country.

As far as the schools being empty? They will always find some foreigner who has got himself stuck in Thailand that will work for 30,000 thb or less and I think the government is well aware of this.

To say ALL the teachers would quit is hysteria at best, as many have no choice but to stay in Thailand no matter what.

As governments have changed in Thailand, not one government has given education the serious support required to bring up a failing education system.

The government does not want an world class educated populace.

If you have been reading the news the past year, you would see many of the rich and powerful in Thailand busted due to corruption. Before the Army took over, no one was busted. If the population is not smart enough (Poor education) to question corruption and other illegal activities, then those in charge can make billions unencumbered.

Any one that thinks the Thai government needs expat teachers, well I think they will be in for a surprise.

One of the great issues of living in the the third world, is when you think you have your life all figured out, the rules change.

I would not want to bank my entire life on being a teacher in Thailand ever.

why would qualified western teachers want to to teach in non international Schools for a pittance in Thailand, when they could earn so much more at home and have a career instead of an insecure job going nowhere?

Have you ever worked in a US school system. Petty behaviors, 9 month contracts, non tenured staff have no protections. Every principal acts like a little Napoleon or Caesar. Plus working in urban schools in the US is like being a jail guard and working in suburban schools is like being a drug counselor, not to mention the fact that working as a teacher in the US is about the most boring place you can imagine. Shall I continue ?

What kind of labor laws do you have in Thailand protecting your job, salary, rights etc.?

With one stroke of the pen, Thailand can change what ever they want and toss you out the door.

The grass is not greener when you have zero rights.

I have never met a "Qualified Teacher" in Thailand.

I have no doubt there are a few hidden in expensive, private International schools.

The majority of "teachers" seem to be those without W/P's or appropriate visas.

The Thai authorities are justified in taking any and all steps needed to clear these unqualified impostors from Thai schools

Those who cannot obtain a Teaching post in their own country should be barred from "teaching" in Thailand.

I've met dozens. I've never met an unqualified one. I guess it depends who you hang out with.

I'm sure both kinds exist though. Why do some people struggle to understand that there are things outside their personal experience?

Nearly everyone in my office has teaching qualification (not tefl), and this is not an international school smile.png

Can you define teaching qualification?

Hey guys

I am not a teacher.

Haha, work for 30k THB a month and you have a degree.....

One would have to be desperate I reckon.

Yep OK I understand teacher dedication as my brother was a teacher in Australia but really, 30k THB!

I give my wife that for her found money and I pay everything else.

And I am a pensioner ..of sorts.

Haha what a joke. Would westerners ever even consider that?

Regards

Wow, you have to pay your wife that much per month to be your wife? I pity you.

I taught at a community college in the USA for 23 years and I came to Thailand for a new teaching adventure, not for money.

Perhaps everyone in your world is a whore, but not everyone in the world is a whore.

I call your BS on the fact you can to Thailand for a new teaching adventure.

Who would come to an education system that is not their own language, one of the absolute worst in Asia, and think they would have an experience?

If you are a teacher thinking like that, no wonder the education system is failing and has been failing forever.

Are many of them actually worth 30k? Thai teachers have to work years to get on that rate.

I think you would be surprised how much some Thai teachers earn. It's a job for life with a pay increase annually. I'm a little fed up with the idea that Thai people earn very little. Just look at all the big new houses being built everywhere and all the new fortuners, BMW's and Mercedes on the road. Around my non tourist area there are lots of these on red plates.

Do you read the news?

Ever wonder why 80%+ of the entire Thai population is in debt up to their arse?

I don't think you will find one Thai teacher earning enough for a NEW BMW or Mercedes.

Those cars are the results of serious corruption not teacher income.

College graduates start out at 15,000 thb per month.

Figure out how many annual increases you need to buy a Mercedes.

Don't be fed up, do some research of the facts.

Hey guys

I am not a teacher.

Yep OK I understand teacher dedication as my brother was a teacher in Australia but really, 30k THB!

Regards

maybe your the joke nuddy. Some of us didnt marry a bar girl and most of us dont have to give our wife any money let alone 30k a month. Old fool on bar stool...

It isn't you don't have to give your wife 30,000 baht per month, it is you don't HAVE 30,000 a month to give her.

Some men actually respect their Thai wives and want them to have things.

Hey guys

I am not a teacher.

Regards

maybe your the joke nuddy. Some of us didnt marry a bar girl and most of us dont have to give our wife any money let alone 30k a month. Old fool on bar stool...

30K a month to your wife? And you pay for everything else? Just wondering what other Westerners would even consider that, sounds like you are being taken for a ride in more ways than one, if you get my drift.

OR ..., was she runner-up Miss Thailand 2010?

People that always have this opinion are the ones that never have any money for themselves.

If you can afford to give your wife 30K, so what? Some men appreciated their wives and want them to have something.

Of course if you are over in Thailand just scraping by yourself, of course this idea would not sit well with you because you have nothing.

It's hard to believe how many farangs are probably just barely surviving in Thailand. Rent a place, no car, etc.

Probably jealous that guy's Thai wife has more money to spend each month than you.

For some reason Thailand is not serious about its students learning PROPER english They will be left in the dust as other ASIAN members gear up for serious English

I never understood why except for fear that english understanding will result in people knowing better what is going on in the world

From my first stay in Thailand in 1984, until 2016 (32 years), the quality of Thai education has not moved one inch.

Expensive Private International Schools are all run for money, not for education.

Government schools are still as bad as they were.

Education reform has never been an agenda for the past 10 government changes and it is not currently and will never be.

Those in power fear an educated population that is why in 32 years education has never moved forward.

Are many of them actually worth 30k? Thai teachers have to work years to get on that rate.

I think you would be surprised how much some Thai teachers earn. It's a job for life with a pay increase annually. I'm a little fed up with the idea that Thai people earn very little. Just look at all the big new houses being built everywhere and all the new fortuners, BMW's and Mercedes on the road. Around my non tourist area there are lots of these on red plates.

Do you read the news?

Ever wonder why 80%+ of the entire Thai population is in debt up to their arse?

I don't think you will find one Thai teacher earning enough for a NEW BMW or Mercedes.

Those cars are the results of serious corruption not teacher income.

College graduates start out at 15,000 thb per month.

Figure out how many annual increases you need to buy a Mercedes.

Don't be fed up, do some research of the facts.

Tell me of a first world country that is not in debt up to their eyeballs. Last time I checked people in first world countries have mortgages and loans to buy houses and cars but it's a necessary evil.

Teachers also have the ability to earn extra income. The Asian studies classes are the first to be taken by the Thai teachers, toeic courses, Invigilating, field trips, even marking is extra money at university level.

My missus started 4 years ago on 19k a month, now she is earning 40k a month before any extras. I'm not a troll, this is true.

why would qualified western teachers want to to teach in non international Schools for a pittance in Thailand, when they could earn so much more at home and have a career instead of an insecure job going nowhere?

Have you ever worked in a US school system. Petty behaviors, 9 month contracts, non tenured staff have no protections. Every principal acts like a little Napoleon or Caesar. Plus working in urban schools in the US is like being a jail guard and working in suburban schools is like being a drug counselor, not to mention the fact that working as a teacher in the US is about the most boring place you can imagine. Shall I continue ?

What kind of labor laws do you have in Thailand protecting your job, salary, rights etc.?

With one stroke of the pen, Thailand can change what ever they want and toss you out the door.

The grass is not greener when you have zero rights.

You are confusing the people who come here to teach and try and make it a career with those of us who use our teaching skills to see part of the world and escape a mundane existence in the west.

3 Categories of people teaching here:

1) Young Gap year 20 somethings....here for a year or 2 at most after college to spread their wings a bit

2) Guys who came here as #1) and fell in love/lust and now are trapped here because they have no savings and cannot afford to live back in the west

3) Older guys who have finished successful careers in the west but are not quite ready for retirement, teaching here to kill a few years, offset expenses until such time as retirement monies become available.

#2 is the saddest case but in many instances they are happy so whatever floats your boat

#1) usually the problem children of the profession....often too drunk or hungover every day to teach effectively and the lack of any real life skills makes dealing with the whole system difficult for them

#3) usually make the best teachers because they have a lot of life experience dealing with many different levels of people and careers and can adapt quite readily.

The problem is Thai schools really only want #1s because they value youth and a pretty face no matter how much of an idiot they actually are.

you could probably add a group, who were teaching elsewhere in SEA, and came here for a better life (compared to China or Korea). Also a lot of very young females, just out of college, who meet the white face and easy to take advantage of requirements. I saw several inline at CM Immigration a few weeks ago, getting 30 day extensions, in their school uniforms..unless long purple skirts and white blouses are what "tourists" wear to Immigration at 6am.

I have no doubt there are a few hidden in expensive, private International schools.

The Thai authorities are justified in taking any and all steps needed to clear these unqualified impostors from Thai schools

Those who cannot obtain a Teaching post in their own country should be barred from "teaching" in Thailand.

I've met dozens. I've never met an unqualified one. I guess it depends who you hang out with.

I'm sure both kinds exist though. Why do some people struggle to understand that there are things outside their personal experience?

Nearly everyone in my office has teaching qualification (not tefl), and this is not an international school smile.png

Can you define teaching qualification?

Grad Dip Ed, some with BEd, and one did the Thai teacher exams. So we can teach in a western school, except the latter one.

you could probably add a group, who were teaching elsewhere in SEA, and came here for a better life (compared to China or Korea). Also a lot of very young females, just out of college, who meet the white face and easy to take advantage of requirements. I saw several inline at CM Immigration a few weeks ago, getting 30 day extensions, in their school uniforms..unless long purple skirts and white blouses are what "tourists" wear to Immigration at 6am.

Female teachers wearing student school uniforms ? really ?

Hey Thanks guys. Obviously its the trolls who have called me and my wife and surroundings to be whore like so I won't hold that against this thred

Look I didn't give bad press about anyone westerner. Sure I laughed about anyone westerner working at 30k THB per month, as anyone would.

But to have spent years at a university to get a degree, and work LONG TERM in Thailand for a pittance is ...........!

Sure the schools don't do the right thing, they don't do the right education and the students don't care. Yep I have seen all of that too.

What I say is that a westerner with a degree working as a teacher in Thailand for 30k is not smart.

Here I wanted to work it out for you.

If you are married you need 400k or income of 40,000 per month. Hmm we only get 30k ...hmmm .Ae,, do on combination income and funds in the bank ..

How does that work? And tell me how you provide for a wife and home on 30k when you get around to it

As I said its a joke anyone westerner with a degree would work for 30k a month even taking into account dedication ...Its a Joke ...hahaha

Who says it's a pittance..you don't know what we earn:) Sure it's not ISB, but quite happy with it. If I wanted to earn real money I would not be in Thailand.

Hey Thanks guys. Obviously its the trolls who have called me and my wife and surroundings to be whore like so I won't hold that against this thred

Look I didn't give bad press about anyone westerner. Sure I laughed about anyone westerner working at 30k THB per month, as anyone would.

But to have spent years at a university to get a degree, and work LONG TERM in Thailand for a pittance is ...........!

Sure the schools don't do the right thing, they don't do the right education and the students don't care. Yep I have seen all of that too.

What I say is that a westerner with a degree working as a teacher in Thailand for 30k is not smart.

If you are married you need 400k or income of 40,000 per month. Hmm we only get 30k ...hmmm .Ae,, do on combination income and funds in the bank ..

How does that work? And tell me how you provide for a wife and home on 30k when you get around to it

As I said its a joke anyone westerner with a degree would work for 30k a month even taking into account dedication ...Its a Joke ...hahaha

Who are you to say what is right for someone else....

The real joke is someone who needs to pay his wife to stay with him......stop the payment and the laughter begins...hahaha

Well there is one troll identified tonray

Fancy saying anything like that to anyone

Its just amazing that trolls like ton ray appear in a discussion on western teachers salaries in Thailand

But I suppose they are all about hu

Write down on your note pad that ton ray is a troll ...I have.

Well there is one troll identified tonray

Fancy saying anything like that to anyone

Its just amazing that trolls like ton ray appear in a discussion on western teachers salaries in Thailand

But I suppose they are all about hu

Write down on your note pad that ton ray is a troll ...I have.

funny comment from a guy who does not teach here posting about teaching salaries.....remember the joke friend....remember when she starts laughing...ha ha

You must be fresh of the boat...happens at many schools...certain days of the week, certain holidays...purple polyester is the rule of the day.

You must be fresh of the boat...happens at many schools...certain days of the week, certain holidays...purple polyester is the rule of the day.

Not in any school i have taught at..would be considered disrespectful to the teachers....in the same way students have to remove their shoes before entering the classroom...teachers do not. I would never work at a place where I had to dress like a student...talk about ridiculous!

For some reason Thailand is not serious about its students learning PROPER english

It's not "some" reason, it's clear the population are purposely being kept in the dark.

This thread is just hearsay though and shouldn't be taken seriously... yet.

I am not a teacher, but 95% of the job is personality.

You could have every teaching diploma under your belt, but if you cannot get the attention of the kids, here, you are basically no use.

They want fun whilst learning, not some numpty with teaching qualifications coming out of his arse.

Sounds good, but what are your credentials for assessing qualified teachers?

Did your parents do a background check on your teachers back home ?

Obviously not.

Archived