Traveling in Bangkok by Taxi

Mr Kie

Taxi in Thailand

Hi guys, I’m a Thai taxi driver in Bangkok, here i like to give you guys an idea of how much Thai taxi will cost based on meter, this price is updated in 2015. first start with 35 Baht then will increase 5.5 baht/km up to first 12 km. then price will rise up again 6 Baht/km for a certain distance and if you take more than 80 km it will cost you 8 Baht/km (this is the maximum rate/km). If you got in a very bad traffic, the car moving slower than 5 km/h then the meter will count per minute which is now 2 Bath/minute. If it’s moving faster than 5 km/h, the meter will count based on kilometer.

Normally the taxi rate chart will be available and usually hanged on the backside of the front seat. If you guys sit on the back seat will definitely see the taxi rate hanging in front of you.

You can simply check whether the meter is right or not by checking how far you have been or the distance from where you stay and the place you wanted to go. For example if your hotel is about 10 km from the airport and you wanted to go to the airport. Then you can predict that the taxi will cost you based on meter = 35 + (9x5.5) = 85 Baht (if there is no traffic). However if you are in a bad traffic and the car is moving slower than 5 km/h for about 10 minutes then you will be charged an extra of = 2 x 10 = 20Baht so which such a distance plus bad traffic, the total rate will be around 105 Baht.

Be noted about the taxi rate in Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand, there is no night time rate or day time rate, it are all the same rate. The only thing that you will be charged extra is when you access to the highway or expressway. Normally the taxi driver will ask you to pay directly to the highway officer, and you will get the receipt right after.

Hope this info will be useful for you guys, and if you got more questions just let me know. I'm happy to get back to all of your questions or concerns

Find out more here: http://goforthailand.blogspot.com/2016/01/traveling-in-bangkok-by-taxi.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might I suggest mr Kie be able to give his number here, many would like a driver that speaks English well, I only ever met one and that was in 1994. Good luck Mr Kai. I rarely see the price chart on the back of the seat these days though.

Might I suggest mr Kie be able to give his number here, many would like a driver that speaks English well, I only ever met one and that was in 1994. Good luck Mr Kai. I rarely see the price chart on the back of the seat these days though.

First up many thanks for suggestion, practically it's better to just catch up the taxi on the road rather than make a phone call coz it gonna take less time especially in the rush hour. For a special trip or outside Bangkok yes it's absolutely better to call for appointment to pick-up.

About the price chart, normally the driver will get it from the DLT (department of land transport) once registered as a taxi. now it really depends on the diver if they like to put it in the car or not.

Here i got the update rate from the DLT

post-252031-0-31366100-1452401748_thumb.

Sceptical or racist?

^^^ Where did that come from ???

Im Sceptical why the hell would you think im racist based on my post

This is written like no Thai I know would write english thats why im sceptical.

The nuances of English seem only from a Native English speaker not a European let alone a Thai educated here or even in the UK.

But hey , prove me wrong OP.

Typical of such forums, an intelligent English speaking Thai comes on here and the innuendos start that he cannot be Thai, pathetic, and people wonder why not many Thais post here! The OP does not have to prove anything. My wife comes from a rice family in issan and can speak, read and write perfect English, do you want her to prove it as well?

I hope you keep posting mr Kie, what is your opinion on the many taxi drivers who refuse a fare, and those that refuse to use the meter, especially in certain areas of Bangkok.?

Right now, not much you can do about it. I'm the one that also don't like. However there are many taxi out there and just try to catch another one, of course it is quite annoying when they refuse you. If you find one that refuse you for whatever reason, just call to the police station or to the hotline 1584.

I will post another article why many Thai taxi drivers refuse and possible solutions to it.

Are you the same excellent English-speaking Thai taxi driver I used to use a few years ago, Mr. Puat Kie?

Probably not me sir, i just have been doing this for approx. 2 and half years now. smile.png

I have to say it is really a good experience to a have a Thai national come here and offer assistance and information.

I too have enjoyed practicing my Thai with many good accomodating taxi drivers.

I hope some day to meet Mr Kie as my driver.

How much to Lom Sak Phetchabun Mr Kie ?

From Suvarnabhumi airport Bangkok.

Actually i have never been to Lom Sak before. Obviously wherever i go, weather inside or outside of Bangkok or outside of Metro area, i will just turn the meter on and that's it. smile.png

I have to say it is really a good experience to a have a Thai national come here and offer assistance and information.

What assistance has he offered you apart from confirming standard taxi rates and suggesting that you wait for another taxi if one refuses to take you?

Guys don't get me wrong, i just wanted to share things that i believe it might be useful somehow for the foreigners, that's why i come to this forum.

Anyway just finished my final job today bringing a couple from Turkey to the airport. luckily they are on time. I believe many taxis refuse to bring them to the airport. the first question i heard from this couple is how much does it cost from here (Ekamai Bus Station) to the Don Meung Airport. then i told them will turn on the meter coz i also not sure how much exactly will it cost.....

Passengers like some posters on here can be a pain. We only ever hear hear complaints from passengers, it would be good to hear about comments from a driver. My mrs often starts an argument with them about the route they are taking, sometimes the driver is new to Bangkok or out of his normal area. Once the driver asked if she wanted to drive instead, that shut her up. In most cases the driver is correct and not going a long way round.

Archived