Traveling in Bangkok by Taxi

Mr Kie

Maybe you should give Uber a try before deciding how slow it is?

Most of the time I can order one when I'm about to leave, and by the time I've picked up my wallet, put my shoes on, locked the door and gone downstairs it's arriving to collect me.

Possibly... even about 2 and half years of my experiences driving more than 200,000 km in Bangkok alone still don't know every where in Bangkok. i'm sure if the Uber driver has just started they need to check the map out every time and that's gonna take time.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you should give Uber a try before deciding how slow it is?

Most of the time I can order one when I'm about to leave, and by the time I've picked up my wallet, put my shoes on, locked the door and gone downstairs it's arriving to collect me.

Possibly... even about 2 and half years of my experiences driving more than 200,000 km in Bangkok alone still don't know every where in Bangkok. i'm sure if the Uber driver has just started they need to check the map out every time and that's gonna take time.

They don't need to check a map - the Uber app includes GPS. It tells them exactly where to find me, and exactly where I want to go.

Like I said " UBER " was a real game changer for me so I no longer play the taxi $ game

But uber is more expensive than a metered taxi in BKK.

And also the guy pays 25% to uber.

So not that good for customers and drivers

Nope. UberX is competitive with meter taxis - generally a little cheaper for trips around town I find.

Nonsense .. there is no uber X I'm BKK it was banned only limo hire ie cary etc.

My mate used uber in London account git hacked folks in US taking rides. ..

Personally I am not a person who supports multi national companies like uber, Starbucks , etc

Each to their own

"Possibly... even about 2 and half years of my experiences driving more than 200,000 km in Bangkok alone still don't know every where in Bangkok. i'm sure if the Uber driver has just started they need to check the map out every time and that's gonna take time. "

Ha ha ... The map ... The driver has a google maps screen and looks at same screen as my google screen app and I know exactly where I am and best route as I look up and watch drivers screen showing same route . It's amazing when do take the classic cab I am taken back to whole other almost prehistoric world . Technology is amazing [emoji106]

Mr Kie , what do you think about Tuk Tuks ?

So you think they need to have meters like Taxis ?

When is the last time you used a Tuk Tuk ?

I used to take 2 times in my life, and last time was 3 years ago, that because every taxis refused to bring me from Pratu-Naam to Ramkhamhaeng. so i took Tuk Tuk instead. personally i like sitting in the air con more, don't want to explore to the polluted air that much if not necessary.

I don't have any idea if it better to have meter on a Tuk Tuk, and they are mostly going within a short distance.

whistling.gif Just out of curiosity I once took a taxi from my residence to the Lao Air office in Silom Plaza on Silom Road.

I needed help due to a problem with my leg and walking up the stairs.

By any chance was that you.... good and friendly service, even helping me climb the stairs?

Anyhow, one of the best taxi trips I have taken in Bangkok.

whistling.gif Just out of curiosity I once took a taxi from my residence to the Lao Air office in Silom Plaza on Silom Road.

I needed help due to a problem with my leg and walking up the stairs.

By any chance was that you.... good and friendly service, even helping me climb the stairs?

Anyhow, one of the best taxi trips I have taken in Bangkok.

Did that taxi driver have a fluent English writing skill?

The most disgusting part of living in Bangkok are the Farang Racists SexPats & Tourists who have no morality and are generally Losers escaping their Loser lives back home...
In Bangkok they think with their foreign money they can lord it over Thais and any others that disagree with them...
But in Reality they are Small minded people... probably escaped rejected Members of the American Tea Party... or other extreme Nutcases!!!

For having to put up with the likes of "The Big(???) Mango, HidyHo, and Renrut"... I apologize!!!

CS

Found this thread via whatsonsukhumvit.com, and this is what they said:

Forum Discussions Thaivisa members gang up on Thai taxi driver for no apparent reason

Picture the scene: a taxi driver signs up to the Thaivisa forum and begins a thread outlining the details of meter charges and how you should know if you’re being ripped off. He is polite, has a strong written command of the English language and has written a seemingly helpful, if a little obvious, post. Cue a number of TV members berating and questioning his intent; including claiming his English is too good for a Thai, accusing him of not being a taxi driver at all, and loudly complaining that he isn’t trying to sell members his services as a driver.

This one is a rollercoaster and we’re loving every minute.

As for Kie, thank you for posting.

I remember a couple years ago trying to hail a cab for a party of four to take us from around Na Na to On Nut.

After probably ten, all refusing to go (they wanted only the short rides where they would make the initial fare repeatedly without leaving the area), we took the BTS Skytrain.

Needless to say that left a bad taste not soon to be forgotten, among a few other incidents of note.

Are you suggesting in all this that YOU would be willing to go anywhere anytime on meter without prejudice?

Where is Kie?

Please come back.

This is a most genuinely interesting and useful thread.

I have so many questions to ask to crack the many mysteries of Thai taxis.

Please don't mind the few misunderstandings bound to happen now and again, facts of life.

• 4 months later...

Might I suggest mr Kie be able to give his number here, many would like a driver that speaks English well, I only ever met one and that was in 1994. Good luck Mr Kai. I rarely see the price chart on the back of the seat these days though.

post-252031-0-72467700-1463809012_thumb.

As for Kie, thank you for posting.

I remember a couple years ago trying to hail a cab for a party of four to take us from around Na Na to On Nut.

After probably ten, all refusing to go (they wanted only the short rides where they would make the initial fare repeatedly without leaving the area), we took the BTS Skytrain.

Needless to say that left a bad taste not soon to be forgotten, among a few other incidents of note.

Are you suggesting in all this that YOU would be willing to go anywhere anytime on meter without prejudice?

Right!.... if the available light is on it means i'm willing to go everywhere. however there are some exceptions, like the gas is running out then i will ask if he/her able to wait, or at night time if i feel it not safe i will also not gonna take. Most of the time yes i'm going to everywhere in Bangkok and metropolitan area.

My suggestion if you call on a taxi in the such area you need to call the one that has just dropped the passenger. most likely this taxi is from other area and not gonna refuse you coz he has already decided to drive in such clouded and if going out to On Nut or other less clouded places i think more than 50% they will go.

For those taxis driving around, they probably looking for the foreigner who is going to the airport or longer distance so that they can quote you with a higher price or it better for them to drive around and repeatedly like you said.

Archived