2016 Challenge - 7KG to GO

singa-traz

=== Update #8 ===

Trending Weight: 85.5 kg (+/- 0.5 kg)

Since the last update, had one/two large social dinners, where I really enjoyed the food :-)

The weight loss was not much in this period, but trend is still in the right direction.

I'm starting soon a new cycle of more intensive training, and since I'm now at my previous "plateau", let's see if I can break it this time.

post-308-0-57335800-1457069147_thumb.png

I don't think you will get much out of exercise as its poor for weight control. Though its great for your health and muscles but to get your weight down.. mainly your foods.

But if your looking for body-weight exercises, think of squats and dips (dips the heavier) and maybe pull-ups.

Personally food wise.. more veggies less carbs but its always hard after the initial loss.

I couldn't disagree more with your first statement. One of the major and common problems in older people getting fat is insulin resistance or diabetes. Exercise is key in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels, thereby assuring that the calories from carbs will be burned rather than stored. Also, it's a reason why men get "beer bellies" as the fat does not always distribute evenly. How often do we see skinny men with beer bellies?

Another problem is lower testosterone levels as men age. This affects many hormonal systems and also insulin resistance.

Checking blood sugar, estrogen and testosterone levels should be the first thing any older guy does before working on an exercise/diet program.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think you will get much out of exercise as its poor for weight control. Though its great for your health and muscles but to get your weight down.. mainly your foods.

But if your looking for body-weight exercises, think of squats and dips (dips the heavier) and maybe pull-ups.

Personally food wise.. more veggies less carbs but its always hard after the initial loss.

I couldn't disagree more with your first statement. One of the major and common problems in older people getting fat is insulin resistance or diabetes. Exercise is key in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels, thereby assuring that the calories from carbs will be burned rather than stored. Also, it's a reason why men get "beer bellies" as the fat does not always distribute evenly. How often do we see skinny men with beer bellies?

Another problem is lower testosterone levels as men age. This affects many hormonal systems and also insulin resistance.

Checking blood sugar, estrogen and testosterone levels should be the first thing any older guy does before working on an exercise/diet program.

There is a lot of debate on this topic, i was looking at it at buring calories and creating a deficit not at the insulin response. Unless you are like you and do a lot of cardio the impact of exercise is not that much.

However you are correct about the other benefits. I do wonder if you could store fat if your at a caloric deficit and have a bad insulin response. Also if you eat more as you burn.. good insulin response or not.. fat will be stored. Anyway.. not saying it does not work but I wonder how big this impact is.

Its always nice to think about this stuff but hard to put it in real life numbers.. but I agree that exercise and a good diet together work in synergy.

@Jsixpack.

Interesting.. i have tried fasting but i go crazy with hunger, watching the video you posted. All information is useful I might learn some new stuff. Though strangely sometimes I can skip breakfast and start eating at 12.00. Normally I eat a healthy breakfast. I must say.. if I really eat no carbs my workouts really do suffer. Yesterday I just had 1 meal (5 eggs 3 slices of bacon and a bit of cheese no bread). I did an hard workout and I felt so tired after it. Not like my normal workouts. Anyway anything goes.

As I said before I am lean.. though once in a while the weight goes up a bit.. and then i clean my diet up again and loose it all.

Must say.. that in the video.. just a little bit less calories make a lot of difference. 1800-1900 is what i often aim for that small guy with the good health did the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering... no one indicates when they take their daily weight measurements. I take mine after I wake up. I'm usually about 2 kg heavier before bed compared to my wakeup weight. I go for the lowest measurement of the day, after taking a dump if possible LOL.

I was wondering... no one indicates when they take their daily weight measurements. I take mine after I wake up. I'm usually about 2 kg heavier before bed compared to my wakeup weight. I go for the lowest measurement of the day, after taking a dump if possible LOL.

when I record it, it's in the morning, just after breakfast.

My weight is more dependant on my hydration level. On some day, I have "lost" 3 to 4 kg during long exercices.

My weight is more dependant on my hydration level. On some day, I have "lost" 3 to 4 kg during long exercices.

Why would you record it after breakfast and not before you drink or eat?

If you lose 3 - 4 kg during exercise you need to consider drinking more while exercising. If I do outdoor exercise I take a lot of water with me. I could be a little down sometimes, but ideally I should weigh about the same after I'm done.

If you lose 3 - 4 kg during exercise you need to consider drinking more while exercising. If I do outdoor exercise I take a lot of water with me. I could be a little down sometimes, but ideally I should weigh about the same after I'm done.

I always weigh myself when i wake up before I eat or drink, otherwise its less accurate as the food and drinks might not be the same all the time.

As for training and drinking.. just finished a workout at home and drank around 1 1/2 to 2 liters of water some with re-hydration salts (against cramps). But i think its easier to drink when your are not running but lifting weights.

I always weigh myself when i wake up before I eat or drink, otherwise its less accurate as the food and drinks might not be the same all the time.

As for training and drinking.. just finished a workout at home and drank around 1 1/2 to 2 liters of water some with re-hydration salts (against cramps). But i think its easier to drink when your are not running but lifting weights.

It's not easy when you're outdoors, but you have to make the effort. I'd have multiple water bottles stashed and grab 2 bottles on every circuit. I wasn't running, but I was pushing my heart rate to max on stair climbs and doing circuits of the park exercise equipment (push up, dips, chins etc). I won't be training outdoors for awhile though - I've given that up as a bad job due to the heat. Training in this heat is not healthy or productive. It's not like it gets cool either. Last night, at 4 am it was 28.9 C at the local weather station on the hill - one of the coolest places in town in the park.

I have a morning routine, and my breakfast is pretty much the same everyday, so the variation from the breakfast itself is minimal.

I sweat a lot, and for long run it's really hard to fully compensate for the loss of water. Typically the range is more around 1-2kg, and I would keep drinking during the day.

• 2 months later...

=== Update #9 ===

Good and Bad news ... not much change on the scale, it's stable.

Time to make some changes:

• Start to plan the meal for the week
  • Add more Fruit/Vegetable
  • Review the ratio for long/intensive run

Let's see if that changes anything.

=== Update #9 ===

Good and Bad news ... not much change on the scale, it's stable.

Time to make some changes:

• Start to plan the meal for the week
  • Add more Fruit/Vegetable
  • Review the ratio for long/intensive run

Let's see if that changes anything.

You may have become too efficient at running. Trick the body a bit. Do some high intensity and medium intensity cardio of a different type.

For all the destructive forces jogging puts on the back, hips, knees and feet (you're a heavy weight so it's considerable), and the limited benefits it has on the muscular system, it's a pretty low quality cardio exercise. For some reason it tends to be an addictive activity too, which means that probably at least half the people doing it are doing it with injuries... but they can't (won't) stop to allow healing until they're incapacitated and have no choice.

In Thailand the situation is even worse. It's an outdoor activity which means it must be done in the high 20C's and 30C's at high humidity most of the time due to the tropical climate, so you're fighting the heat and burning less calories than you think you are. Don't let the sweating fool you. You can do that in a sauna. LOL when I see Thais running in the park with full track suits or impermeable sweat suits when temps are low 30's. They're so exhausted from heat exhaustion they run at fraction over walking speed. Idiots they are.

IMO the only people who should run are people requiring the activity in their job or sport.

If you're only interested in getting kilos off, then strict dieting can quickly do it.

Archived