Phuket: Police bust Turkish man with bag of 'ganja-looking' tea before apologizing

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't take much to get arrested here. I'm surprised it hasn't happened to me. Having a medical history that includes cancer and brain surgery, I keep a small pharmacy in my apartment. My hiso Thai landlady had the temerity to question me about my large collection of prescription drugs, which are left in plain sight in the

kitchen. I've been waiting for the boys in brown to show up. Nothing else to do but monitor the internet for LM posts and hunt down tea drinkers and users of legal, non-narcotic drugs. I have yet to see anyone in Jomtien who is NOT "displaying drug behavior". tongue.pngrolleyes.gif

So much wrong with this story i dont know where to start.
So if someone just calls the police and says you are displaying drug behaviour, your home/room can be searched?
Disgusting.

The Turk doesnt look the type to be smoking pot ! then again he doesnt look like a tea totaler either

Mmmm, what does a "pot" smoker look like, I bet you can't pick all of them, eg, Bill Clinton, many cops, lawyers, university students, MP's, school teachers... do I really need to go on? Man, some people really don't think before posting, but then maybe, just maybe, they smoke too much pot.

Yeah Thai cops do make a fool out of themselves sometimes but this time they are not at fault, Im saying this as a Turk.

You see a guy whos dressed like Bob Marley and holding a bag which looks like it has weed inside, what do you do?

Go read the op, it doesn't say he was "holding" anything, it says "Police reported being informed by a "good citizen" at 11am on January 10 that there was a suspicious foreign tourist staying at Patong Condotel who was displaying "drug behavior"." Did you notice "displaying "drug behavior."

C'mon all you self-righteous folks (again!).. if any one of YOU spotted this guy and his bag of 'tea', not saying you'd grass (pardon the pun!) but you'd definately be thinking the same as everyone else.. 'You see his stash?'

Actually, 'ganja-looking tea' (as in 'bag of') is a pretty funny concept!! The idea of the other way round (tea-looking ganja) being brewed down at the local station, as the local law enforcement get off their faces on it, is even funnier!!! gigglem.gifwai.gif

Another person who doesn't read/understand what is written... it doesn't say he was seen holding anything.

Don't know about the rest of the world, but Australia has a " police hotline" to enable good citizens to report " suspicious" behavior.

These ( Thai cops) can't seem to win with some TV readers..., not acting.... acting to slow... Jumping to conclusions... Illegal searches.... Not searching etc etc

IMHO, they acted correctly to a tip, and would have been remiss to have not acted.... As to the search being illegal, I can't comment on Thai law, but it would seem justified.

And as to dreadlocked folk.... I have yet to meet one that does not smoke a bit of weed, but that's just my experience, although I would suspect that a qualified (FBI) profiler would not disagree with my supposition.

Could they be doing better things with their time? Maybe yes.... But the fact remains, they were still doing their job

Don't know about the rest of the world, but Australia has a " police hotline" to enable good citizens to report " suspicious" behavior.

These ( Thai cops) can't seem to win with some TV readers..., not acting.... acting to slow... Jumping to conclusions... Illegal searches.... Not searching etc etc

IMHO, they acted correctly to a tip, and would have been remiss to have not acted.... As to the search being illegal, I can't comment on Thai law, but it would seem justified.

And as to dreadlocked folk.... I have yet to meet one that does not smoke a bit of weed, but that's just my experience, although I would suspect that a qualified (FBI) profiler would not disagree with my supposition.

Could they be doing better things with their time? Maybe yes.... But the fact remains, they were still doing their job

Big difference is, the Aussie cops will investigate, but not if the call is because someone acted under the influence, it's mainly for dealers, and they investigate first, before raiding and arresting.

A friend of mine was arrested in Vientiane for theft. The reason was he resembled a farang who was seen in the company of an Australian who had had a business falling out with some Chinese businessmen (did you follow all that?). He was kept in the police station and repeatedly interrogated for 23 hours. "Where is your Australian friend?"

Finally when the police and the Chinese, who had pointed out this bloke, realised they had picked up some nobody farang just in Laos for a visa run, they took him to a pub for 2 bottles of Beer Laos and made out they were all the best of mates and the whole thing was an amusing misunderstanding.

This story reminds me of that.

Big difference is, the Aussie cops will investigate, but not if the call is because someone acted under the influence, it's mainly for dealers, and they investigate first, before raiding and arresting.

Undoubtedly correct in that they would investigate.

But still, if you were " acting suspiciously" a paddy wagon from the local nick would most probably be around in a short time for a quick look

But IMO the "big difference" is that they (Australian police) are a well trained police force, visible and active in all forums of society.... Acting with competent oversight

As with all aspects of Thai life, they have a ways to go before they are at a worlds standard... And as parents always clap and cheer their babies first steps, so should we applaud a positive action by Thai police

They responded to a call, investigated, found suspicious material, took people into custody, reexamined the evidence, found that no law had been broken and released the accused ( even apologized), job done.

It's just the legality of the search that bears concern.

If the "good citizens" of Thailand thinks that all Farangs with dreadlocks is drug users, then I hope that they never go to Khao San Road.

As a punishment send those good citizens to Kingston !!! See if they then still have those annoying smiles... blink.png

What exactly is "drug behaviour"? Acting "abnormally"?

Surely just about anyone leaving a pub or bar or nightclub would be seen to be behaving abnormally after a few or more drinks that contain ethanol. That would 100% qualify as "drug behaviour" (as ethanol ("alcohol") is a recreational drug, and those who consume it are drug users).

So the person who was exhibiting "drug behaviour" may have simply been a little drunk coming back from a bar. The call from the "good citizen" was completely unwarranted, as was the police to act upon the call (as they didn't have a search warrant). Those of you who support both of these acts should think again, as it may happen to you even if you do nothing illegal, and instead of admitting a mistake they may plant something to incriminate you and extort you.

Additionally, police should focus their resources on incidents in which people were harmed, cheated or had property stolen. There was nobody being harmed, as is usual with most cases involving illegal drugs yet police seem drawn to them like a magnet, I guess because they see them as opportunities to extort or confiscate money.

Much of the Thai drug laws, particularly for cannabis, were made from pressure by the U.S.A. DEA together with huge grants. Now that the U.S.A. is on a drug decriminalization trend, the Thai authorities should follow, e.g. by increasing tolerance to personal drug usage and possession.

Give it a rest! Arrested on suspicion? Common scenario elsewhere. And usually no apology ! More likely an endless load of bs as to.

But beware of the "good citizen" ! Motivation by virtue of jealousy and or/or invoked dislike is increasing . As the imaginary streets of gold are becoming the stone they always were "disappointment " can create some basic reactions.

So much wrong with this story i dont know where to start.

So if someone just calls the police and says you are displaying drug behaviour, your home/room can be searched?

Disgusting.

yup, in Thailand you can be stopped and searched at anytime. This is not the west.

If the Police suspicions were sufficient to merit a home vist, why didn't they conduct a urine test on the suspect ?

They went to his home because of suspicious behaviour, not because they knew he had a bag of "tea", so why not test out that theory ?

The fact that tea proved to be tea, doesn't mean the reported suspicious behaviour was not the result of something .

Why would anyone acting legally and normally, raise any objection to a non-invasive test ?

In many countries, people driving in a suspicious manner are liable to a non-invasive breath test for alcohol. Most innocent people are only too willing to be proven clean.

This guy was probably clean, but it must have raised doubts in his mind if he was in Thailand or back home in Turkey, where it is not unknown for the Police to take even more drastic action.

What exactly is "drug behaviour"? Acting "abnormally"?

Surely just about anyone leaving a pub or bar or nightclub would be seen to be behaving abnormally after a few or more drinks that contain ethanol. That would 100% qualify as "drug behaviour" (as ethanol ("alcohol") is a recreational drug, and those who consume it are drug users).

So the person who was exhibiting "drug behaviour" may have simply been a little drunk coming back from a bar. The call from the "good citizen" was completely unwarranted, as was the police to act upon the call (as they didn't have a search warrant). Those of you who support both of these acts should think again, as it may happen to you even if you do nothing illegal, and instead of admitting a mistake they may plant something to incriminate you and extort you.

Is being drunk or under the influence of any prohibited drug in public not an offence in Thailand ?

In some countries it is, but I am not familiar with Thai law on this.

If the Police suspicions were sufficient to merit a home vist, why didn't they conduct a urine test on the suspect ?

They went to his home because of suspicious behaviour, not because they knew he had a bag of "tea", so why not test out that theory ?

The fact that tea proved to be tea, doesn't mean the reported suspicious behaviour was not the result of something .

Why would anyone acting legally and normally, raise any objection to a non-invasive test ?

In many countries, people driving in a suspicious manner are liable to a non-invasive breath test for alcohol. Most innocent people are only too willing to be proven clean.

This guy was probably clean, but it must have raised doubts in his mind if he was in Thailand or back home in Turkey, where it is not unknown for the Police to take even more drastic action.

Australia now also uses mouth swab tests, in conjunction with breathalizers... A simple non invasive procedure only objected to by people who would be found guilty, me lord

Australia now also uses mouth swab tests, in conjunction with breathalizers... A simple non invasive procedure only objected to by people who would be found guilty, me lord

Is Australia the country that arrests people for possessing The Worlds Safest Drug?

Yet, its nightclubs are full of kids doing the latest designer chemicals made in North Korea or China, for which they have utterly NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what chemical compounds are contained within?

Yeah, sounds like a group of people the Thais are ALREADY emulating...

Is Australia the country that arrests people for possessing The Worlds Safest Drug?

Yet, its nightclubs are full of kids doing the latest designer chemicals made in North Korea or China, for which they have utterly NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what chemical compounds are contained within?

Yeah, sounds like a group of people the Thais are ALREADY emulating...

Out of curiosity... What is this worlds safest drug that you refer too?

And whilst I'm sure that some of the clubbers are doing designer drugs, I'm also pretty sure that there consumption is far less than you seem to believe... If I'm wrong... I hope that they are caught, and dealt with by the law of the land.... Just as I hope those in your country are similarly caught and prosecuted.

And though admittedly not looking hard, I can't say that I have noticed any Thais emulating Australia, or Australian cultural practices... Save the occasional barbie...., which does, admittedly, regularly result in a visit from the BIB

"Out of curiosity... What is this worlds safest drug that you refer too?"

I'll give you a hint.

It's safer than alcohol, tobacco, all prescription medicines, aspirin, caffeine, Heroin, cocaine, meth, uppers, downers and finally water (H2O).

Yes, people have overdosed on water.

Not one single person in the entire history of Planet Earth has ever overdosed on The Worlds Safest Drug.

Oh, I almost forgot the World's Most Popular Drug: Sugar.

The World's Safest Drug is safer than sugar, because it doesn't cause diabetes or dental caveties.

The Turk doesnt look the type to be smoking pot ! then again he doesnt look like a tea totaler either

Mmmm, what does a "pot" smoker look like, I bet you can't pick all of them, eg, Bill Clinton, many cops, lawyers, university students, MP's, school teachers... do I really need to go on? Man, some people really don't think before posting, but then maybe, just maybe, they smoke too much pot.

Might not pick them all but I would bet my money hes not a tea totaler

What does a pot smoker look like?

Another members response ! And as to dreadlocked folk.... I have yet to meet one that does not smoke a bit of weed, but that's just my experience, although I would suspect that a qualified (FBI) profiler would not disagree with my supposition. My observations as well !

Archived