British family in plea for rare blood to help graduate fighting for her life in Chiang Mai

webfact

Family in plea for rare blood to help gap year graduate fighting for her life in Thai hospital after moped crash

Lucy Hill, 21, is in desperate need of a blood transfusion but there is a lack of A negative blood in Thailand

CHIANG MAI: -- A graduate is fighting for her life in a Thai hospital after a horrific road accident just a week into her gap year.

Family and friends of 21-year-old Lucy Hill, from Bury, have made a desperate international appeal to help find the rare blood she needs after suffering a broken pelvis and brain haemorrhage.

Lucy, arrived in Bangkok to start her trip of a lifetime just six days before a car collided with her moped on Saturday afternoon.

She was rushed to Rajavej Chiang Mai Hospital and has since had three blood transfusions, as well as being fitted with titanium plates in her pelvis.

m.jpg

Full story: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/family-plea-rare-blood-help-10712956

-- Manchester Evening News 2016-01-11

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 0- negative blood offered several times to spend it but was simply refused to donate only because i was to old ( now 70) this is going on for many years !

In my home-country it is / was no issue at all.

Wish i could help

Sorry

Poster is correct anybody over the age of 50 is not accepted as a blood donor in Thailand.

I have been donating blood every 5 weeks for over 40 years and when I arrived in Bangkok to make a donation I was told,"Too old".

End of story.

My I wish you luck in finding your blood group and have a full recovery and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

As a person with A- blood, I have noticed appeals here for A- blood recurring on T-V several times over the years.

Are any donations being taken in BKK to be sent to Chiang Mai?

It also makes me more wary in the event that I may need a transfusion in the future.

A- can receive A- and from O-..... so what seems to be the problems? although only 6% of the population

has A Negative blood, I'm sure that O negative people also should called to help....

This. I am 0- but unfortunately traveling at the moment.

Thailand only has 0.5% of population with "negative" blood types.

Any who wants to donate and meets the requirements can do this at any Red Cross station in Thailand, and if you mention that the donation is specifically for Lucy and the hospital, then the Red Cross will deliver the blood there

Victim's name: Lucy Ann Hill
Hospital name: Rajavej Hospital, Chaing Mai

I have A- blood type, live in Khon Kaen. Are blood donations taken in KK and sent to Chiang Mai? The number listed is AUstralian (+61) which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hi my friend..the number I think is because she had moved to Australia and her friends traveling I think must be from there so Aussia number would seem possible....

I am 59 and donate A- blood at Banglamung hospital every three months when I am in Thailand. Never been able to donate at Private/International hospitals.
I have called the number and will fly up to CNX at my expense if I can help

I am leaving shortly for the provincial Red Cross to donate. I am not certain I will be eligible, as I am at the tail end of a cold. If not, I will try again in a couple of days. I will post any helpful information I discover once I return.

I am 59 and donate A- blood at Banglamung hospital every three months when I am in Thailand. Never been able to donate at Private/International hospitals.

I so hope you can help and what a wonderful gesture....could you get a answer on the phone number as another poster has just remarked that the number is Aussie but she had just moved there according to her Facebook page..In case anyone else is worried about the number could you confirm it is right ! And once again lovely offer...

I so hope you can help and what a wonderful gesture....could you get a answer on the phone number as another poster has just remarked that the number is Aussie but she had just moved there according to her Facebook page..In case anyone else is worried about the number could you confirm it is right ! And once again lovely offer...

No I didn't get an answer, phone is on voicemail.

The answer. Please all O Negative people on this forum respond.

O Negative is a universal donor. She can receive O Negative.

To the poster who said that he is O positive, - sorry. Appreciate that you are desirous of helping, but that blood type cannot solve the problem.

In this case it is only A Negative or O Negative. I lived in Chaing Mai for 8 years and donated my blood regularly (O Negative).

I was donating blood at 55 without any problems at the Chiang Mai Red Cross.

So, to the posters who say that they will not take the blood after 50 years old, I say - that may well be the case around Thailand,

But it certainly was not my experience. Try anyway, and specify to whom you want the blood to go to.

Better still, - to those in Chiang Mai. Go directly to the hospital.

I am A- but live in Pattaya although after reading one of the comments I am not sure my blood would be acceptable as I am 68 years of age, if you can confirm my blood would be acceptable I could go to Pattaya hospital for donation of blood.

I am A- but live in Pattaya although after reading one of the comments I am not sure my blood would be acceptable as I am 68 years of age, if you can confirm my blood would be acceptable I could go to Pattaya hospital for donation of blood.

Well, thats two pints available here in Patts!

Nice to see such positive gestures ( pun intended ) , no blame laid down for the cause of accident etc. I hope she gets the blood very soon , I too had a brain h. after being hit by a tuk-tuk in Hua Hin 10 years ago and I was wearing a crash hat. Please get well soon young lady .

Archived