British family in plea for rare blood to help graduate fighting for her life in Chiang Mai

webfact

I do hope this young girl gets over her horrific injuries fancy coming 5,000 miles on a dream holiday for it to turn into a nightmare by being in an accident with a car travelling on the wrong side of the road I hope they catch this person and give him what he deserves a real good going over and off the road for ever.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you are taking the time to read this thread, please read through the entire thread! I took time from my day today to go and donate. There was an overwhelming response. They do not need anymore at this time. I still hope Lucy goes well, but at the moment there's nothing more we can do

Another foreigners dream vacation gone up in smoke...a tragic life and family changed forever...but what they hey...one tourist will not dampen the spirits of Thai criminal driving behavior...

I'm O pos,good for any blood group pm me

No....she can not have your blood. O + can only give to 0 +, A +, B +, and AB +. But you can't give to A - or any other RH neg blood type.

You are not good for giving to any other blood type. Only for giving to other RH positive types.

The blood good for giving to any blood type is O - ......known as the "Universal Donor". I've been giving blood for 48 years and I'm O - ... sadly in Canada right now.

Anyone who is either A -, or O - and in good health should get in touch with them and donate if at all possible.

O - is the "Universal Donor". Not O +.

The "Universal Receiver" is AB + .

O- can receive O-

O+ can receive O+, O-

A- can receive A-, O-

A+ can receive A+, A-, O+, O-

B- can receive B-, O-

B+ can receive B+, B-, O+, O-

AB- can receive AB-, B-, A-, O-

AB+ can receive AB+, AB-, B+, B-, A+, A-, O+, O-

A- can receive A- and from O-..... so what seems to be the problems? although only 6% of the population

has A Negative blood, I'm sure that O negative people also should called to help....

In western caucasian countries, both A -, and O - is less than 7% of the population. (Most common types are A +, and O +, followed by B +)

In south east Asian natives.....it's worse..... almost non existent. You will find a few among caucasian ex-pats living there, and in western travellers travelling in the area.... but that's about it.

Less than 7% of western caucasians have O - or A -. And almost 0 % of south east Asians have either O -, or A - ...... I truly wish the girl good luck. She's going to need it.

There is a good chance that Thai blood services stocks are almost out of both those types..not to mention they have a very limited shelf life. They will be scrambling...

Yes... she can receive both A - and O -.... but in south east Asia ..less than 1 % of the native population has those two types.

Please.... ex-pats living there.... and travellers travelling in south east Asia..... call them if you have either A - or O -.

A- can receive A- and from O-..... so what seems to be the problems? although only 6% of the population

has A Negative blood, I'm sure that O negative people also should called to help....

6% of Caucasians have A - blood, in western countries.....

But in south east Asian native people... it is less than 1 % of the population that has either A -, or O -. Not a good part of the world to be in if you suddenly find you suddenly have a great need for blood... and you are A - or O -.

So pleased to learn the lass is out of immediate danger and hope so much that she recovers fully, soon.

Am perturbed to find that she was travelling without insurance, though.

This is such a selfish, selfish, selfish act (and wholly unnecessary and negligent).

My son had an accident in Thailand, two years ago.

No insurance.

Cost us a ruddy small fortune as he nearly lost his leg.

His friend then had an accident. No insurance. More serious than my son's accident (broken legs, pelvis, arms, collar bones, nose and lost all her front teeth). cost her dad his house, in UK, to get her fixed up.

Law should state you are not allowed entry to ANY country without valid insurance, in my opinion.

Get well soon, Lucy, nevertheless.

Being O- ve I went to give blood previously when there was an urgent appeal. I went through all the registration process and right at the end I was asked had I lived in the UK between two dates I can't remember now. The dates were during the mad cow crisis in the UK. When I said yes they refused my blood. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have 0- negative blood offered several times to spend it but was simply refused to donate only because i was to old ( now 70) this is going on for many years !

In my home-country it is / was no issue at all.

Wish i could help

Sorry

I am like you to old. In Canada they had an age limit I think they had upped it to 65 before I left. I used to donate on a regular basis.

A friend of a friend knows her and asked if I would visit her. I went today and they had a sign on the front counter that there was eno9ugh blood. I didn't get to see her as she was still in intensive care and her mother was with her.

As far as finding RH negative it is not an easy thing to do here in Thailand. Only .03% of the Asian population is RH negative. If you have a visitor who would not mind leaving a little bit of their RH negative blood it would be nice of them.

It took them a week to find 2 liters of type O RH negative for me. One came from Bangkok

So pleased to learn the lass is out of immediate danger and hope so much that she recovers fully, soon.

Am perturbed to find that she was travelling without insurance, though.

This is such a selfish, selfish, selfish act (and wholly unnecessary and negligent).

My son had an accident in Thailand, two years ago.

No insurance.

Cost us a ruddy small fortune as he nearly lost his leg.

His friend then had an accident. No insurance. More serious than my son's accident (broken legs, pelvis, arms, collar bones, nose and lost all her front teeth). cost her dad his house, in UK, to get her fixed up.

Law should state you are not allowed entry to ANY country without valid insurance, in my opinion.

Get well soon, Lucy, nevertheless.

What about retired people over 65 that wish to travel and see a bit of the world in the years they have left ? ?

Damn hard to find an travellers health insurance company willing to cover people travelling at that age... at least at a reasonable price.

Perhaps better for them if they are travelling to one particular country and staying there for some time, to buy health insurance in that particular country. Might be a better deal also..

Like ex-pats buying insurance from Thai insurance companies..

Archived