Drought forces monkeys to leave temple to scour for food in communities

webfact

Drought forces monkeys to leave temple to scour for food in communities

NAKHON SAWAN: -- A big herd of crab-eating macaques is causing disturbances to communities around a temple in Nakhon Sawan after they left the temple to scour for food due to natural food shortage as a result of drought.

Some of the scavenging monkeys sneaked into houses to search for food forcing some of the owners to install iron grilles or nets to prevent the beats from getting in.

Mrs Supamart Bualek, a vendor selling monkey’s food to tourists said that not so many tourists are visiting the temple and also natural fruits in the temple are scarce due to drought.

The food shortage has driven the monkeys leave their habitat in the temple in Tambon Kriangkrai in Muang district to scour for food in communities.

Another food vendor, Mrs Prapawan Suwankanit, said the number of monkeys has also increased while food has become scarce.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/drought-forces-monkeys-to-leave-temple-to-scour-for-food-in-communities

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-11

When I have the time I will gather some feed and go there as I have already been there a couple of times. The monkeys there are actually really nice compared to those at Kao Takiap in Hua Hin, they where picking peanuts out of my hand, peanut by peanut and accepted to get one banana at a time when I was there last time about a year ago.
In the past many Thais went there as tourists but you can see on the buildings that nowadays there are just not many people going there, first time I was there there was 6 feed vendors and last time only 2 vendors left!

How much natural fruits grown up in the temples? I was in around 20 temples in thailand and saw only some banana palms but nothing more. And bananas grow maybe 1 time the year. So what they talk about NATURAL FRUITS IN TEMPLES???

Number of tourists gone down and Thais spent smaller amount of money!!!

No one pay for feed the monkeys!!!

Archived