Dark Irish Soda Bread

thaigerd

Looks good (and I also miss Irish soda bread!) How did it taste??

Taste was(is) quite good for me, I've never eaten or made it before.

Just made it just for fun to see how it looks and tastes.

Friend of mine is opening very soon an Irish Pub here in Phuket and I would like to give him some for his opening.

Gerd

That looks quite good, any chance of any Boxty? Hot, straight off the pan, with plenty of butter spread and melting over it, along with a nice mug of Tea????

The dictionary does not contain any entries for boxty

Please check the selected Options (left). You may post a query in the Forum to find out unknown words

so what's a boxty please (sorry, I'm German)

Gerd

There are more and more Irish Pubs in Thailand opening but (as far as I know) nobody is offering an Irish bread.

That's why I have tried to make an Irish Bread today;

here's my result:

Hey, Where you getting the Rye and such for all this?

Greg

There are more and more Irish Pubs in Thailand opening but (as far as I know) nobody is offering an Irish bread.

That's why I have tried to make an Irish Bread today;

here's my result:

Hey, Where you getting the Rye and such for all this?

Greg

There's a company: Schmidtlook here

they have branches in Bangkok and Phuket, they have a lot of these ingredients.

But you can find them in good supermarkets as well.

Gerd

Edited by thaigerd

Wow, Irish Soda bread reminds me of home. It sure looks good, well done. There's also a white soda bread. My mother used to make both and something in between with a mix of white and brown flour.

Did you use buttermilk? If you can't get buttermilk, sour milk (not too far gone) is a good substitute.

Boxty, where I came from, was a potato bread, usually baked and sometines reheated in a frying pan, it was fantastic. Again my mother used to make all sorts of potato cakes which bring back the best of memories.

Could you send me your recipe for the Irish soda bread? Or post it hear?

:o

you use this oven :D:D

boah... staun...

but in the right-one the time is about 15 hour for a bread or not..

and buttermilk/buttermilch i haven't seen for years :D

staun (to cause surprise) :D

Edited by lung

Wow, Irish Soda bread reminds me of home. It sure looks good, well done. There's also a white soda bread. My mother used to make both and something in between with a mix of white and brown flour.

Did you use buttermilk? If you can't get buttermilk, sour milk (not too far gone) is a good substitute.

Boxty, where I came from, was a potato bread, usually baked and sometines reheated in a frying pan, it was fantastic. Again my mother used to make all sorts of potato cakes which bring back the best of memories.

Recipe:

3cup bread flour or all purpose flour

3cup whole wheat flour

2ts baking soda

1tb baking powder

2tb brown sugar

2 1/4 cup buttermilk (can use sour cream or plain yoghurt)

Mix all ingredients and bake about 45 minutes

Recipe:

3cup whole wheat flour

2ts baking soda

1tb baking powder

2tb brown sugar

I most definitely will try this recipe :o

never seen no dark soda bread...in my day, I was da soda bread master...my mother-in-law from Co. Laoise taught me and confirmed that my skills were flawless...(she called the bread 'a cake')

but you gots to have the touch, and when you lose it it's hard to find again...

gimme sum stew and sum bread an' I'm gonna wallop dem juices dry...yum...

(aside...anyone got a simple recipie for a beef stew using local ingredients?)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Recipe:

3cup whole wheat flour

2ts baking soda

1tb baking powder

2tb brown sugar

I too will try this simple recipe. Just want to check, by ts, do you mean teaspoons? and tb, is that tablespooons?

At what temperature? thx

with the simple ovens round here things are either full blast or off...you must experiment. either that or have thaigerd suggest something suitable...

the general question being, how to modulate oven temps for baking when oven temps are not controllable???

Recipe:

3cup whole wheat flour

2ts baking soda

1tb baking powder

2tb brown sugar

I too will try this simple recipe. Just want to check, by ts, do you mean teaspoons? and tb, is that tablespooons?

Yes, that's correct!

Gerd

Cant beat thai food but a bit of soda bread never went astraa.

yee got me thinken of bacon and cabbage now.

yes indeed...you shoulda seen it at the Clarence Hotel in Dublin before Bono bought it...piled so high that you couldn't see the person across the table...(remerbering my wedding meal 20 years ago)

wonderful stuff...