New Overstay Rules Announced By Immigration

Come 20 Mar 16 the bell will toll for overstayers with over a 90 days overstay for those who surrender themselves, but for those who get arrested it appears there is no 90 day grace period if I'm reading the announcement right.

If I was an overstayer of over 90 days I would definitely exit Thailand before the rules go into effect 20 Mar 16 in order to avoid a long ban on reentry. Get legal on your stay or possibly say goodbye to Thailand for a year (or many more depending on overstay length) once identified as an overstayer.

Actually, I'm somewhat surprised the govt is actually putting it into effect but it does appear it's going into effect 20 Mar 16.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

So it doesn't look like there is a 90 day grace period for those arrested. Caught with a 1 day overstay and it's a 5 year ban!

That's exactly how it reads.......is there any official clarification on that? It seems a bit draconian.

See my post at #11.

So, I have been here 10 years legally and I miscalculate my dates and I am stopped and arrested a few days over. Automatic 5 year ban. Wow a bit harsh but TIT. whistling.gif

Arrested and prosecuted is what it says. Doesn't seem harsh to me that they'd want to ban criminals from the country.

Yes, the key words are "arrested and prosecuted". But as others are pointing out, a one day miscalculation could lead to a 5 year ban? That is just wrong. Draconian policies tend to not bother the illegals, since they are going to try and get away with it anyway, but it can really harm the general Tourist population that makes a mistake or gets a bit lax now and then. I know I did a one day overstay in the past, and this was after 11 trips to the country. I thought paying a nominal fine at the border was OK and I was happy to do that as I extended my trip via a border run for another 30 (29) days. I spent a fair amount of money on that two month vacation and now after 14 trips to the country, getting threatened with these penalties is not appreciated.

Wouldn't worry too much, after 14 trips I am sure you know that all is negotiable. This is just a mechanism to get rid of the real undesirables, and long time overdue.

So for the first 90 days of an overstay you still pay 500 baht per day, up to a max of 10,000?

It is a max fine of 20k baht not 10k if you pay the fine on departure from the country prior to the 90 day point. Get caught an it is different story.

So for the first 90 days of an overstay you still pay 500 baht per day, up to a max of 10,000?

It is a max fine of 20k baht not 10k if you pay the fine on departure from the country prior to the 90 day point. Get caught an it is different story.

Thanks, good to know.

• Like 1

So, I have been here 10 years legally and I miscalculate my dates and I am stopped and arrested a few days over. Automatic 5 year ban. Wow a bit harsh but TIT. whistling.gif

so time to take your calculations seriously

Anyone who has been here 10 years legally would surely know how to manage the process and calculations.

Arrested and prosecuted is what it says. Doesn't seem harsh to me that they'd want to ban criminals from the country.

Yes, a little miscalculation .... get arrested ... brown envelope and then we won't prosecuted you .......it won't happen

Looks like the happy "tourist" brimming and smiling following his great adventure into paradise....could be in for a surprise at if he dosnt get to Suwanna.....

Having had so much fun decided to change his flight which brought him over the 30 VE day limit.... late but no problem .

Been told he can pay overstay at Airport Immigration...so.....500 Baht in hand at the ready...O happy days..Be back in 3 months time.....

errr ......whats that ahead ..a police check point....?