New Overstay Rules Announced By Immigration

Hi all - just wondered if some kind soul wouldn't mind pm'ing me a contact regarding helping a pal who's plus 90 - :/

Pls delete admin if this is against tos

Try this guy http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/903376-update-tricky-area-involving-overstay-and-police/

Or the poster one before you

Thanks - yes, had done already but still awaiting a reply so just putting it out there doooai - cheers

• 2 years later...

Okay. How much trouble am I in? My Visa expired on the 19th of October. Because of family sickness, both mine and that of my mother in law, I have been in an incredible quandary, lately. I dO NOT NEED another TV lecture on the dangers of overstaying. The details of my case are so depressing and maddening that I could write a book. The IO does not reopen until Monday morning, the 22nd. Obviously, the 5000 baht fine is a problem, but not an insurmountable one, other things being equal. I am well aware of the warnings of farangs being banned from the country for a year for relatively few days of overstay. This situation, given my health issues and those of my mother in law, would be a disaster of nuclear proprortions. I have all my paperwork prepared, Embassy letter, etc. etc., and the required funds on top of my regular fee. Am I likely to be made "an example" of in a case like this? These people have no mercy or interest in your personal problems and basically would like to see us leave our money and promptly exit the country. I am already in a situation where I can barely walk and my Thai wife (who is mystified by the whole Immigration process, has been the only source of light and sanity in this whole mess. Relatives are beyond ignorant on these subjects and are of no help. What is the LEAST WORST scenario, that i can expect in such a case?

Sorry to hear about your situation , all immigration offices act differently so you just have to report and hope for the best. Only 3 days overstay and since its the weekend and you have to wait until Monday is no big deal really . Pay the fine and renew your visa.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Okay. How much trouble am I in? My Visa expired on the 19th of October. Because of family sickness, both mine and that of my mother in law

Others with more experience than me will no doubt pipe in here, but an official letter from a doctor confirming that your health renders you unfit to travel should allow for a medical extension of stay. Not sure precisely how this works in relation to an extension of stay on a retirement or marriage visa - presumably the rules would be applied in the same way as overstaying a tourist visa? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Okay. How much trouble am I in?

None other that a 1500 baht fine for 3 days of overstay if you go to immigration on Monday. If not on Monday then it will be a 2500 baht fine on Wednesday because immigration is closed on Tuesday.

Not sure where you came up with the 5000 baht number you posted. The fine for an overstay is 500 baht per day up to the 20k baht max fine.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Others with more experience than me will no doubt pipe in here, but an official letter from a doctor confirming that your health renders you unfit to travel should allow for a medical extension of stay.

Too late to get a letter from a doctor. The overstay fine would have to be paid anyway. Having a letter only helps if a person goes to immigration or has somebody go for them before they are on overstay.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Too late to get a letter from a doctor. The overstay fine would have to be paid anyway. Having a letter only helps if a person goes to immigration or has somebody go for them before they are on overstay.

Thanks for clarifying. 

At some offices, IOs will recommend a short overstay like this to, for example, allow for money-seasoning.  Therefore, I think it is very unlikely you would be unable to pay the fine and process this extension. 

I am not sure if you are extending based on marriage or retirement, and/or if you are fluent in Thai - but perhaps the wife could be helpful in explaining the "why" of the overstay and your support of her and her mother.  But, I would advise she should state from the onset that you understand and are willing to pay the fine right away - taking responsibility for the consequences, to spite any personal-hell that caused them. 

These things can sometimes be decided by what the IO feels about a situation and the applicant's attitude - so think of it as a chess-game of sorts.