New Overstay Rules Announced By Immigration

Just want to say "I Love Thailand"

I've started with two weeks stays - to one year entries..

Numerous border runs..

Done the overstay(s) from 1 day to multiple year overstay..

Overstaying was/is an option no matter what your age is - or the money you make..

Follow the rules or not - it doesn't matter what others think...

Bottom line for me... My money goes into the Thai economy...

I think the overstay rule is to keep the poor tourist and illegal workers out... And will continue to allow those lazy non-workers in..

So - if the new overstay rule offends you - you must not be able to afford to be here and should be banned for years before returning..

It is funny to hear the "overstay rationalizers" defend their position.

It really is simple, just as it always has been...obtain the proper visa for the reason that you are here. If a visa does not exist that matches your purposes, then you do not belong here.

• Like 2

What gets me is that even after this has been discussed for well over a year that these new rules were coming there are still people who haven't bothered to clear their long overstays. I've read just this week alone people talking abiut anywhere from a 6 to 11 year overstay. What could possible make a person continue to want to stay in Thailand illegally knowing full well that this new rule would come into effect eventually.

I say this as a person who has overstayed in Thailand myself but upon learning about the new rules well over a year ago I knew immediately that I needed to leave and come back in legally and that's exactly what I did. I feel much better knowing i don't have to be looking over my shoulder all the time.

And you will too.

• Like 1

We received notice in our office that overstay fees of 500 Baht are currently been reevaluated to Baht 1000 per day with a maximum of 50,000 Baht to discourage overstays and it could start as soon as April 2016.

The maximum fine cannot be changed unless the immigration act is changed ant that has not happened since it was written in 1979. It would have to be approved by parliament..

In my opinion if somebody was to contest the banning in court it might be overturned since it is outside the immigration act.

• Like 1

We received notice in our office that overstay fees of 500 Baht are currently been reevaluated to Baht 1000 per day with a maximum of 50,000 Baht to discourage overstays and it could start as soon as April 2016.

No problem with the 1,000 baht per day, but as Joe has said they can't charge more than the maximum allowed under the immigration act without a change to the act.

Given the new overstay bans I can't see them changing the current fine structure.

Was there ever anything posted re the appointment of Gen. Nathathorn as the new Immigration Bureau Commissioner? As in, where he came from and what jobs he had previously?

He just seems to have started popping up in the news reports since last fall, but I'm not finding much background on him. It looks from a 2015 chart on the Immigration website that he previously was deputy commissioner for Legal Affairs, and before that, seems to have been the commander of Immigration Division 2 that, I think, deals with the Airports in BKK???

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=boss

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know why they cap it, they should just go with n baht per day (no cap).

Am contemplating a 4 day overstay, due (visa stamp) out on 8'th March, but flight to home country is on 12'th - should be for a good few months.

before next visit. I do have a 60day visa available on my 6mth visa, which would be good to keep. Appreciate these 'new' laws seem to be more strictly enforced, but wonder (anyone have recent experience) if a very sorry and 2k baht fine would still cover it, Prefer not to waste a day doing a border or office visit if avoidable....

Am contemplating a 4 day overstay, due (visa stamp) out on 8'th March, but flight to home country is on 12'th - should be for a good few months.

before next visit. I do have a 60day visa available on my 6mth visa, which would be good to keep. Appreciate these 'new' laws seem to be more strictly enforced, but wonder (anyone have recent experience) if a very sorry and 2k baht fine would still cover it, Prefer not to waste a day doing a border or office visit if avoidable....

In this climate of unpredictability and new and changing rules , I would avoid any overstay

If you have an METV, you just need to hop across any border

• Like 1

• Best to do a border hop or apply for an extension of stay. If you've already extended once they will deny your request but should give you 7 days to leave the country.
  • If you get caught on overstay you will be contemplating in the IDC about your bad decision.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

About time.

At least we now have an official ruling on kids overstaying.

I didn't find any new regulations related to kids' overstaying in this rules. Could you explain, please.

There is a 'remark' (top right-hand corner) stating that the penalties do not apply to under 18s.

post-25648-0-09320000-1458396396_thumb.p

I can't see any problems with those rules. Follow them and you will have no troubles. Would you like to break laws in your home countries? Why all these useless discussions?

Many laws/rules are not followed by certain individuals, and apparently people like to voice their opinions for no reason, other than to socialize with others..

I see no problem with rules, nor do I think it's a waste of time discussing the overstay subject, especially when the rules have drastically changed.

Its A VERY BIG incentive for Police to actively Look for overstayers ----

FOR CASH EXTRACTION

(with even small

overstays punishable by A 5 YEAR Ban)

i can imagine any farang. Caught in a checkpoint /pub raid and on OS would be a cash cow for the "officers "

IMHO

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Its A VERY BIG incentive for Police to actively Look for overstayers ----

FOR CASH EXTRACTION

(with even small

overstays punishable by A 5 YEAR Ban)

i can imagine any farang. Caught in a checkpoint /pub raid and on OS would be a cash cow for the "officers "

IMHO

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

they haven't got any money do that's gonna be difficult
  • Like 1

I can't see any problems with those rules. Follow them and you will have no troubles. Would you like to break laws in your home countries? Why all these useless discussions?

Taken literally, any stay less less than 1 year, which of course could mean one day, two day overstay etc. it says "in case of being arrested and prosecuted". So of course the question is what will actually happen? Will they be routinely arresting one or two day overstay people or threatening them and demanding "tea money"? Will they decide to just let them pay, but maybe draw the line with people who would owe more than 20,000 baht due ( 40 days @ 500 baht/day) then go after them? I am pretty sure it will vary a lot between provinces, immigration border points etc. It will be interesting to see the reports from people that had short overstays.

A farang reported today, that the police are taking the new overstay seriously and warned of police check point(s), specifically asking farangs to show their passports.

But since he rattled off a few Thai words and was wearing a suit, the police gave him a wink and a smile, and waived him along, with no need of showing his passport.

With that being said, if caught, deported, and banned for year(s), you all had more than a years notice to fix your overstay(s)..

I'm just courious if Mr. White Guy that cannot speak Thai, actually gets one of those long bans, or shares their story on how they were allowed to stay using this forum.

Edited by D3030

There should be a weeks worth of a second chance to procure a visa whatever is legally required, not everybody is capable of meeting the visa requirements on a set date, could be in hospital, stolen passport or have not received their paycheck yet. Everyones circumstance is different.

A farang reported today, that the police are taking the new overstay seriously and warned of police check point(s), specifically asking farangs to show their passports.

But since he rattled off a few Thai words and was wearing a suit, the police gave him a wink and a smile, and waived him along, with no need of showing his passport.

With that being said, if caught, deported, and banned for year(s), you all had more than a years notice to fix your overstay(s)..

I'm just courious if Mr. White Guy that cannot speak Thai, actually gets one of those long bans, or shares their story on how they were allowed to stay using this forum.

That could be a seperate case, politeness and even a few Thai words could make a difference. Same for every country, just depends on the officer.